When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bought the rep, then bought the gen!

Gil

I am loving my new rep GMT IIc w/chs so much that I am seriously considering buying the gen two-tone version - the one I really want. The only problem is the rep of the TT GMT IIc may be so good there will be no reason to buy the gen. I don't know if I can wait for it to come out.

Have any of you guys ever bought a rep, if so which one, and liked it so much that you bought the gen? it happened to me a few years back. i was new to the rep game and didn't about these types of forums and bought a rep Fiddy PAM 127 from a guy who posted a Craig's list ad fro $700!!! :o It was the Russan movement version. The case sucked but it was one of the first Fiddy reps. Anyway, I wore for a while and decided that i had to get a PAM 127. So after many nights of dreaming about owning a gen Fiddy, I bought one for about a third of what they are selling for now. Happy I bought it back when I did.

Gil

Have any of you guys ever bought a rep, if so which one, and liked it so much that you bought the gen?

yup ... twice so far. first was the panerai 091 and secondly was the omega planet ocean. it's always nice to test drive the rep but trust me when i say, there's no better feeling than the real thing. my sights are now on the breitling skyland avenger. the limited edition blacksteel will be mine by the end of the year ... i can feel it. here are some picture of the evolution so far ...

rep

PAM165.jpg

gen

PAM09112-1.jpg

rep

DSC04431.jpg

gen

DSC06553_2.jpg

I must agree with you abou the feeling of the gen. I love my Fiddy. It used to be my daily watch until the market price jumped over $20k. Now I am a bit more cautious when and where I wear it. The down side of appreciation. I will probably never sell it but you never know so i try to keep it in a good condition.

Nice PAM

yup ... twice so far. first was the panerai 091 and secondly was the omega planet ocean. it's always nice to test drive the rep but trust me when i say, there's no better feeling than the real thing. my sights are now on the breitling skyland avenger. the limited edition blacksteel will be mine by the end of the year ... i can feel it. here are some picture of the evolution so far ...
Edited by Stephane
Removed the quoted photos :)

Same here, owned a highly modded PAM 118 for 2 1/2 years and loved it very dearly, but after a while I could not live with the flaws and lower overall quality compared to the gen. Sold my rep 118 and bought a genuine PAM 116 just recently. Since then I never looked back as I love my gen 10 times more then the rep. The dial, movement, crown guard and so on are just so much nicer then the rep version.

I still enjoy my four reps, althogh since I got my 116 they are getting almost no wrist time.

I've not done it yet, but I'm seriously considering. Bought a Tag Grand Carrera Caliber 8RS GMT rep recently. Like it so much that I'm seriously considering buying a gen...

I personally would not waste my money on a Rolex. Spend it on something special, unique - a connoisseur mark such as Maurice Lacroix, IWC, AP, Jaeger Lecoultre, or PF.

I learned fast that even if you wear a gen Rolex, most people assume its fake simply because of the name. So spare yourself and just get the rep rollie...

I personally would not waste my money on a Rolex. Spend it on something special, unique - a connoisseur mark such as Maurice Lacroix, IWC, AP, Jaeger Lecoultre, or PF.

I learned fast that even if you wear a gen Rolex, most people assume its fake simply because of the name. So spare yourself and just get the rep rollie...

lacroix is a waste of money, depreciate like crazy. And are nothing special.

the rest I can agree with especially JL. (but what is PF?)

Have any of you guys ever bought a rep, if so which one, and liked it so much that you bought the gen?

Happened with a Link Chrono and probably is going to happen to either a Monaco chrono or PAM111 soon.... :)

For me reps are like a test drive. If I really like them I'l end up buying the gen. Lucky for me with most reps I get bored after a while....

Same here, owned a highly modded PAM 118 for 2 1/2 years and loved it very dearly, but after a while I could not live with the flaws and lower overall quality compared to the gen. Sold my rep 118 and bought a genuine PAM 116 just recently. Since then I never looked back as I love my gen 10 times more then the rep. The dial, movement, crown guard and so on are just so much nicer then the rep version.

I still enjoy my four reps, althogh since I got my 116 they are getting almost no wrist time.

Same feelings here... loved the 112 rep and got the gen :)

dsc02622cz5.jpg