When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Suggestions for a square shapped dress watch...

Ztech

Ok, here's the deal. I'm mostly into large sized diver watches. I've recently noticed that a few things about my collection...

1. They are all HUGE.

2. They are mostly all divers' watches.

3. I don't have any dressy or square shaped watches. Other than my B&R that is and that can't be considered a dress watch.

So... I'm asking all of you guys for suggestions on what my next watch should be.

I'm looking for something different. Something square or the like. I've been sort of looking at the new Breitling Flying B Chrono. Or the Conquistador. Any suggestions? Oh, if possible I'd like to stay away from small sized watches. Thanks in advance.

z

FM and put in a real dial. Most folks who like big sports watches seem to find the FM palatable. Too bad the Porto rep (non-chrono) is not just a bit better.

Thanks for the input. Any pics of the watch you're referring to? Also, how difficult would sourcing a gen dial and having it replaced be and cost?

Ztech-- if you're looking for a really great looking dress watch that's a good size, you may want to take a look at the 42mm Ballon Bleu:

1.jpg

NOTE-- I'm not recommending you buy it from Josh or Andrew-- I'm just using that picture to show you what it looks like.

I bought a Ballon Bleu when it came out a few months ago. I've gotten more compliments on that watch than for any of my other watches put together. In fact, it's been so popular, that I've had to buy 5--count 'em FIVE--additional Ballon Bleus for friends and family. This is a great looking watch.

The cool thing about the Ballon Bleu is that it's one of the few dress watches out there over 40mm. And because of the design of the crown guard, it actually wears larger. Pretty close to a Luminor in terms of size (albeit not in thickness, obviously).

If you've got your heart set on a square or barrel shaped watch (and you still want a large size), then I'd go with a Cartier Santos 100, an FM Conquistador, or a Cartier Roadster. You may not be able to tell from pics, but the Roadster is actually much thicker than you would expect.

Thanks again for all your input guys.

triplehd: I think the Tank is a bit too small for my liking.

NF: I was actually looking at the Roadster, but I've heard that the rep, specifically the dial, isn't very good? Dunno, but that puts me off a bit.

seanf: Thanks but I really need a square watch bad.

I think I'm going to wait it out a bit and get the Flying B chrono when the price comes down a bit or try to pick one up in the for sale section. Thanks guys, you've all been a great help.

Thanks again for all your input guys.

triplehd: I think the Tank is a bit too small for my liking.

NF: I was actually looking at the Roadster, but I've heard that the rep, specifically the dial, isn't very good? Dunno, but that puts me off a bit.

seanf: Thanks but I really need a square watch bad.

I think I'm going to wait it out a bit and get the Flying B chrono when the price comes down a bit or try to pick one up in the for sale section. Thanks guys, you've all been a great help.

The Tank is beautiful but way, way too small if you're looking for a good sized watch. The Santos 100 is huge and thick, so you may want to take a look at the two-tone version of that one. In fact, it's so big and thick, that I'd put it in a borderline category for a dress watch. The Roadster is a great watch, but you're right-- the reps aren't all that accurate. The case and bracelet are good, but the dials are pretty awful. Still, you're not likely to be called out. Between the Roadster and Frank Muller, I'd go with the Roadster because even with its flaws, to me, it's still a much nicer looking watch.

Ever thought about the Cartier Tortue? It's a cheap rep, but a really gorgeous watch. Hand-wind too, so a lot less prone to problems. I've got one, and I absolutely love it:

cartier-tortue-with-white-dial-manual-winding-watch--20127--1.jpg

My favorites are the

- IWC GST SS with white dial (great with a blue suit and white shirt due to the white dial and gold markers)

- (Gen) IWC Classic Pilot mk XVI (only 39mm)

on my wish list for dress watches:

- IWC Portugueser (but beware of the seconds at 6 o'clock)

- IWC Pilot Chrono 3717.01

- IWC Spitfire Chrono 3717.02

I also suggest the Flying B. Excellent watch. Another good choice is the Santos 100 Chrono or XL. Very nice watches and looks stunning on a HKTan gator strap.

True about the HKTan strap on the Santos, but man, it ain't cheap. I looked into it once, and the price of the strap was periously close to the price of the whole damn watch. But because of the double deployment clasp design, you're really limited to three choices for Santos 100 straps: (1) keep the rep strap (which is terrible; (2) get a gen Cartier strap (not sure if you can even order it from Cartier without a serial number, but if you can, I'm sure it'll be between $500 to $1000); or (3) go with HKTan (Santos Strap is between $100 to $200).

Absolutely I'd recommend the Santos Chrono. As a fellow big watch lover, this is a must have if you want a dress watch. I bought mine from King 3-4 months ago. I'd recommend the swiss version, wish I had spent the extra money to get the datewheel flush.

Can you please post some pics of that watch? Also, how can you be sure that you got a Swiss version? I thought that Swiss labled watches/movements were in fact Asian copies?