When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For the Kindness of Others...

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

Today I attended what was thought to be a typical SoCal G2G. I only had a short time to get up there, but it will go down in my book as the most important Ive attended so far.

First I had the opportunity to meet someone that I have considered an icon of the replica forums. I will not disclose who it was, as he jokingly stated he is wanted by half the EU nations for various deeds of the past.

But know this, as big a surprise as it was for me to find out he was in attendance, the brief time I was able to talk with him was great! He is a true gentleman, and I hope a new friend!

And while there, the discussion of children came up. I mentioned that I had 4, aged 2,3,10 and 11. A SoCal brother was there with his son and we immediately began to talk about how children should be brought in to what I consider a dieing hobby.

Toward the end of my time there today, this brother opened his watch box and removed a mini-Submariner and handed it to me. He told me that I was to give it to my 3 year old son who I had earlier explained is ALWAYS trying to steal Daddy's watches. I think I was in too much shock, to argue... but sat there holding the watch until he again said that I was to keep it and give it to Alan. I am not even completely sure that I thanked him appropriately... But I intend to!

So with this said, I drove the hour back home and had a little sit down with Alan. I explained that a good friend of Daddy's had given him something very special. I had already set it before showing it to him, so it was ready to go. I showed the watch to him... and without the slightest hesitation he said, "Is that Alan's Rolex?" DUDE, I damn near fell apart... I am recently a single father and do damn near everything I can imagine for my two sons living with me... But I had no way to fore see his little comment.

I slipped the watch on his wrist, and he has worn it proudly since. So far he has shown it to our neighbor (who now thinks I crap money...), the mail carrier (who said he now understands why Daddy gets so many packages in the mail) and a few strangers at the Carlsbad Mall (NO WE DIDNT GO IN TO BEN BRIDGE TODAY!).

There are some amazing features to this little watch, and I would LOVE to know more about it. First, the lume is incredible. MUCH better than my NoobFactory LV. The bracelet is properly marked and uses screws on the last links. The pearl is a perfect mini pearl (better than any Ive seen on reps lately, just smaller) and the dial print is incredble. EVERY date is perfectly aligned and the date font is really nice...

I dont know where exactly this watch came from, but Ive never seen it before... and its NICE.

Anyway with all this said, here is a quick little wristi for ya. YOU WILL SEE IT AGAIN at my first chance to put it in to a wristi competition... I dont think it can be beat!

With my hat in my hand,

T

dscn1180li5.jpg

dscn1180li5.9ad279f284.jpg

Congratulations T!!!! and to Alan! And lots of gratitude to your gentleman friend!

WE (the family) spend the whole day today with my 2nd son who's going back to school (Junior Criminal Law) on Monday and as a parting gift I

give him the YatchMaster that our esteemed member here, Raijor, gave me sometime ago! I told him that it came from someone I haven't meet

in person, but I consider a good friend whom I meet here and that he should take good care of it! Anyways........he was way overjoyed!

Tell your son to wear that watch well!

F

First I had the opportunity to meet someone that I have considered an icon of the replica forums. I will not disclose who it was, as he jokingly stated he is wanted by half the EU nations for various deeds of the past.

Pugwash was there??? :D Awesome post and that picture is worth more than a thousand words. The future is in good hands.

carlsbad, I have never met you, but I can say with confidence that the gift could not have been given to a classier guy.

Hope the love of watches will be an unbreakable bond with you and you son.

Cheers,

M

Great read and wonderful shot...

Now where oh where can I score a mini-sub of my own?... my wife's been joking that I'd have a rollie on my daughters wrist before she's three... with that mini-sub, it would be possible.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Thank you all for the very kind words... Lets suffice it to say that Alan has shown his Rolex to every single person he has seen since being given it yesterday. As most know, I store all of my watches in pelican cases and it was INSISTED UPON that I purchase a new pelican case for the mini-Sub.

Im trying to convince him that we can share one and he can keep his Sub next to mine!

Anyway, thanks again...

T

That was a wonderful wrist shot there carlsbadrolex. I wish i can get my hand on one of those mini-sub for my 8 years olds son.

Maybe you can ask your secret friend where he got the mini so some of us can get it for our beloved sons.

Guest carlsbadrolex

I will ask about the source... But I was told that the watch was about 4 years old and it was a custom watch. It is very possible as Ive never seen them before that they are NOT available.