When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is Jakub away?

scotty

There is no way for the mods to contact this guy?

I guess I just find it hard to believe that a dealer or modder can be added to this forum and recommended to its members with nothing more then a prepaid cellphone number and a mailbox store address. Are we to assume that any dealer or modder could vanish at any moment and the forum can promise no saftey/security to its members?

Did I just hear someone open another can of worms?? :g:

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way for the mods to contact this guy?

I guess I just find it hard to believe that a dealer or modder can be added to this forum and recommended to its members with nothing more then a prepaid cellphone number and a mailbox store address. Are we to assume that any dealer or modder could vanish at any moment and the forum can promise no saftey/security to its members?

Mb1, there are no guarantees provided for by belonging to this forum. It is merely a way to HELP PREVENT people getting ripped off. If you had not have joined this forum, you would have at best been paying way over the odds for watches that you can buy here for much cheaper, that is one of the aims it seeks to achieve.

Jakub was offering a service, we were buying it from him. Everything seemed to be fine. Things turned bad. What exactly do you think anyone could do about it? The mods aren't here to ensure our safety from the outside world, they're here to regulate and see the forum keeps going in the right direction and that untasteful people/comments are removed when necessary.

When a service is offered by someone like Jakub, the onus is on the person buying the service to ensure it is safe to use, not the mods. The mods are not the middlemen to the transaction. If you go to any other forum, the same applies. For example, you go onto a car forum, someone pops up and starts offering car servicing for cheap. It all goes well, everyone is happy. Then they disappear with your car. That's not the mods fault. There is nothing they can do apart from saying 'buyer use at your own discretion' There is no plausible way mods, or anyone for that matter can regulate people that enter onto an international public forum like this.

Scotty, I am in favor for that, but also I am and was aware of the risk of sending a rep as far away as Poland for that kind of service; I do not have the time nor the means to take a plane from Chicago to POland to look for a ghost with out face ; but something should be done, just do not what nor how

• 2 weeks later...

Bump for all those still without their watches

hopefully in the new year we will see more items returned

.... and some members in or close to poland can pay him a visit and see what the hell is going on

we shouldnt let this issue die.....on a board this big with a large EU membership some member HAS to live close (relatively) to him

Edited by steppen

Happy New Year all of us who had items stolen by Jakub................

Here's hoping there are more returns, or that we're finally able to organise something.

We have J's mum's telephone number, so we're short of Polish speakers helping out trying to call and see how to locate Jakub.......

Best for 2009 to all...

• 2 weeks later...

Well - it seems that there have been no more returns....

This issue seems to have run it's course.

There are still many of us with items not returned, and I'd guess all those affected would be very interested in getting their property back or following some course of action if possible.

Some Polish speaking members started to help (I have an alternative number for J, but when I've tried the person only speaks in Polish, but the name Jakub is recognised. Someone else tried this number and it seems it's J's mother) but that seems to have gone nowhere (a follow-up was planned but nothing happened).

Other members had checked over finding a way to contact J in Poland, and see what the situation was (a non confrontational contact let it be said, via a third party).

But that also seems to have died a death.

A guy in RG was checking with a friend in the police in Denmark, as regardless if the items are reps, what we have here basically is a case of theft.

He was seeing how the land lay regarding opening a claim. That too seems to have died a death.

So from me, as the one who started this thread, it's just a last check to see if ANYONE can help us someway.

Otherwise, I guess we have to close this and move on........

what a great scam in that case......

That's so sad... I can't believe this is the end of it. And at this stage, even if we assume that maybe he's the one who got scammed (e.g., his watchmaker took off with the watches), he should have at least come here and explained himself. What a complete, careless SOB. I think I gave you guys all the info I had already... did I also mention his family has a restaurant in Warsaw? Don't know whether that may help tracking him down. I think at this point what is needed is a couple of polish guys to go knock on his door and ask a few questions. But because there's no pole here with a dog in this race (J ensured they got their stuff back, so they'd leave him alone), this is never going to happen. Truly, truly sad.

Edited by therooster

Maybe an idea which is impossible, but i'll ask it anyway. (I already got my watch back from J btw)

Is it possible for the admin to PM those members who have registered on an IP address from Poland, to PM/ask those members if one of them is willing to ask around in Warsaw?

just an idea....

Edited by hooky

You need to get in touch with HU and see if his mates are still oke with paying this guy a visit. He pffered some time ago. No doubt slinging them some beer money for their effort would go a long way. IF not, there's a lot of you who are owed money/watches by the man. some of you have a grand or more out there. Get to gether, sling in 50bucks each and hire somone! Even Poland has PIs these days.

Col.

You need to get in touch with HU and see if his mates are still oke with paying this guy a visit. He pffered some time ago. No doubt slinging them some beer money for their effort would go a long way. IF not, there's a lot of you who are owed money/watches by the man. some of you have a grand or more out there. Get to gether, sling in 50bucks each and hire somone! Even Poland has PIs these days.

Col.

I have to agree here. I know I haven't got any goods or cash at stake here, but I am as shocked as everyone else by the turns of events which have taken place, and left people minus goods or cash, and equally shocked that people are just letting it slide like this. As has been mentioned before, this is a case of theft, regardless of the nature of the goods involved. I believe the above suggest is the best, and likely only way this whole unfortunate situation will be resolved.

Best regards to all involved,

Col.

Actually a member who was affected had contacted a PI agency, and we were waiting for the follow-up over costs and details.

Another Polich speaker had said they'd try the second number that we have.

I'm hoping that'll be followed up soon.

@ therooster - Didn't know J's family had a restaurant - can someone PM details for 'the file'. Every little helps.

We may yet be able to glean something - hopefully.....

I've spoken with a PI agency in Warsaw today asking about locating someone. They were one of the first ones I found googling - Asvalia.

To make a quote for their services, they have asked me to provide whatever available information.

I'm told this is in strict confidence, with no potential repercussions, and purely to evaluate what's needed and costs.

As yet I haven't done anything.

Is anyone still interested that we pursue such a route? Will mean sharing costs.

But more importantly means providing information upfront - J's name and whatever details we have (tel. nos, shipping address, family restaurant name etc), a list of what's missing etc.

I've never gone down such a route before. Thoughts / advice???

Like I say - I've not provided them with any details as yet.

I'm out three watches but I have little hope for any resolution.

If Jakub can be found, What are the odds he still has my watches just sitting there but couldn't be bother to return them? More then likely he has lost them, had them stolen or sold them. What then?

If he has not made contact with anyone, its because he is unable to offer any restitution. They're gone, period.

It's worth it guys. Even if you just get an explanitian and Jakob gets a bit of a shock. Prob thinks he has no hope of being found. Too many times this sort of thing is forgoten. If it were me down a grand or so I would not be giving up easily even if it cost me money. Under the circumstances I think you are quite entiteled to hand over what info you have. If you have his mums phone number it should be an easy trail for a compenent PI to follow from there.

Col.