When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Today i bleached a gen Insert and modded the Pearl

Tribal

I've had some mixed results with bleaching :)

Some good...

183_8346.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

Some went a bit askew...

145_4515.jpg

:yuk:

The best one I had ever experienced was an insert that faded to a nice chocolate brown (Jetsons owns this piece now). Wish I had a pic of that one.

Anymore, I just let them fade on their own time :) I'm going to have a long wait ahead of me...

:lol:

Some good...

183_8346.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

Some went a bit askew...

145_4515.jpg

:yuk:

The best one I had ever experienced was an insert that faded to a nice chocolate brown (Jetsons owns this piece now). Wish I had a pic of that one.

Anymore, I just let them fade on their own time :) I'm going to have a long wait ahead of me...

:lol:

Nice

I like the First one....

Does the Rep insert faded eaysier than the Gen one?

Nice

I like the First one....

Does the Rep insert faded eaysier than the Gen one?

Yeah... They definitely fade easier, but each tends to have it's own characteristic, and strength. Some take as little as 4 minutes... Some require a little longer.

The gens that I've done are always more resilient. Those definitely require a little longer, and a more watchful eye to keep them in check.

Beautiful result! How about a tutorial?

:tu:

Ok,

but I thought everybody knows how it works...

So I took Chlorix (its a kind of bleaching stuff based on Natriumhypochloride)

I popped the Gen Pearl of the Insert and put it in this stuff for about 10 minutes.

After that I cleaned the Insert and thats it..

Easy to do......

For the Pearl I took some wood furniture varnish to become the slightly yellow- brownish color

Mask it over the SL pearl...

Lets dry and thats it....

Also an easy job ;)

Hope this helps....

If you're inclined to give it a go, I suggest testing/experimenting on aftermarket first. This will give you a feel for what to expect :)

Personally, I know that the bleach is doing it's job when I start seeing some dark swirling taking place in the solution. When you're ready to pull the insert out, it's best to simply pour the bleach out and run fresh water into the container; touching the insert may produce some uneven color toning on the surface. So, for an even finish it's best to handle as little as possible until the insert is fully rinsed of bleach.

So the way to age a pearl is to smear wood stain over it? I thought you had to dig its guts out and refill it?!

My pearls are new/green and need about 50 years "ageing".

Wood stain? Really? :0

So the way to age a pearl is to smear wood stain over it? I thought you had to dig its guts out and refill it?!

My pearls are new/green and need about 50 years "ageing".

Wood stain? Really? :0

Yes Sir,

that's the easy way ;)

but you can do it also with a needle

from the backside.

Put a small hole in the pearl to get the Luminova

off the pearl.

Fill it with some other sort of lume.

Mix it with some brownish color to get the vintage effect.

Nice results Tribal!

I had a gen SL pearl that The Zigmeister literally could not drill out from the back at all -it was rock hard, so I'll give the varnish a try. I hear the Ofrei pearls are easier to work with.

Some went a bit askew...

145_4515.jpg

I prefer to keep them looking new (or looking fresh from the RSC), but of all the diy insert vintaginzing efforts I have seen, this is the only 1 that looks like it got that way from overexposure to sun, sea & use (by a diver). Fitted to a 'well worn' case (like some of Nanuq's), this insert would fool me.

• 1 month later...