When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Day Date II?

jot9011

Rolex DDII  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you would like to see the DDII repped?

• No way! 41mm? That's a sissy watch. Give me the Deep Sea Dweller
    • You bet! Rep it up and I'll buy it.

Is it just me or am I the only one pining for the new Rolex DDII? I like the DD but @ 38mm, it doesn't have much wrist presence What you all think? Can we get this repped or is it too soon?

I have always loved the day date. Simple, elegant timeless. Due to the recent increase in size of most watches my day dates stay in the box, occasionally I wear a masterpiece because they are a bit bigger but too flashy for every day wear. The design of the president bracelet is beautiful and the most copied design in the world for a reason. If I could get my hands on a good rep of the day date II it would definatley be in heavy rotation. Are the gens even for sale yet? I haven't seen them anywhere.

BTW the Day Date is only 36mm not 38 so 41mm will be a huge improvement!!!

Is it just me or am I the only one pining for the new Rolex DDII?

I am yet to see one in the flesh but in my opinion, these Rolex models are made to be classy dressy and elegant.

The increase in size seems like another lame attempt by the manufacturer to "keep up with the trends".

I don't really care for it as I think it sort of unrefined. I think the watch looks like a watch that a manufacturer made because they didn't know what else to do other than to make a watch big enough to satisfy people who are following the current big watch trend. These watches are supposed to be 36MM. I have 7 1/2" wrists and they aren't small at all with at least a rolled up long sleve. I think many are missing out on so many watches lately with this shift to everything being so huge. It has gotten out of hand IMO. A watch has to be designed to be big for a reason and not just made so for a trend. A PAM is supposed to be big. Breitling sports watches are supposed to be big. Day-Dates are not. I could name a bunch more of course. With all attempts Rolex is failing at this and I'm not sure, given that their sales and production already dwarfs all the competition by a mile, what the point is. Same with the new YM. But at least that one can be justified because of the new complication and the giant price tag. Build it and they will come. I just see no need to improve on any watch they ever made. Rolex watches are perfect in their own way and always have been - flimsy cheap bracelets and all in the sports line. I have to say that they did OK with the GMTIIc though and I had the gen for a bit, but I don't know that it is a design home run. It is a nicer watch in terms of fit and finish than any sports watch they have ever made though so you have to appreciate it from that standpoint. It really does feel a mile better than regualr Subs and GMT's, etc. and it isn't BIG to a fault.

So I guess when I think of the three new Rolex offerings as it were I can see the point of the YM and the ceramic GMT, but I really don't "get" the Day-Date II and I think it is a miss on every front for Rolex. That said, like any other nice rep, you don't HAVE to love it for a few hundred bucks and some of the dials are cool. So for no other reason than a new watch and some variety for members who have everything already I'm sure it would be cool to rep it. Why not? Nothing wrong with the watch - even if there isn't anything particularly right about it either.

but I really don't "get" the Day-Date II and I think it is a miss on every front for Rolex.

I think this is a great move on Rolex's part. The trend towards larger watches is here to stay and not just a passing fad. If you look at watch history most mens' dress watches from the early part of the century all the way through the 1960's were in the 29mm to 33mm case range. The 60's 70's and 80's brought larger sport watches and many of these larger size innovations were brought forth by Rolex ie; the daytona, submariner and yachtmaster.

To this day, many men see nothing wrong with wearing a daytona under their shirt sleeve rather than a Patek or Vacheron, so the line between dress and sports watches has been blurred for a long time.

The first day dates were an innovation in themselves at 36mm and the submariners at 40mm. Rolex has just taken the next well overdue step.

In addition, the day date has existed in a larger case for many years just called the masterpiece. I prefer this to the day date any day and I can't wait to get a day date II on my wrist.

All points noted and duly taken. My main issue with the watch has nothing to do with the size though. I think the design is lackluster compared to many other choices in the range. IMO the 36MM Day-Date is still superior on that front. If I want a larger dress watch I feel there are many better choices, some of which I have made for myself with Jaquet Droz, AP, UN and others.

As an example of a not so small watch that blurs the line between sport and dress but hangs to the dress end, the Breguet Marine Big Date comes to mind. Wears as a big 39MM and on a bracelet is a homerun for the category you speak of. Now that is a great and unique design. To me the DDII is just a logical big extension of the original and that is why it leaves me flat.

Anyway if you get a DDII post some pics. Maybe it will grow on me and any others who aren't blown out by it so far.

PS: Clearly we have very different tastes which is of course great in these forums to read the different opinions, but as a testament to that you mentioned the Masterpiece. For me, I would quit wearing a watch if that was all that was left. Seriously. I dislike it that much. And you could say I'm a pretty loyal Rolex guy as I have owned up to four at one time including the YM, Sub, GMTIIc, and original GMT. The last to go for me was the YM which I had for years and the only reason I sold it is because I found the UN Diver in kind of the same configuration which I felt was a more interesting watch in the same category. Anyway, I do really love Rolex, just not the DDII or the Masterpiece. I've just gotten so a watch design either has to be totally old school and classic or completely knock me out in a new way or I can't get interested anymore. That is probably why I have recently almost half my collection.

In other words, I'm probably too picky to give many watches a fair evaluation lately...

I think this is a great move on Rolex's part. The trend towards larger watches is here to stay and not just a passing fad. If you look at watch history most mens' dress watches from the early part of the century all the way through the 1960's were in the 29mm to 33mm case range. The 60's 70's and 80's brought larger sport watches and many of these larger size innovations were brought forth by Rolex ie; the daytona, submariner and yachtmaster.

To this day, many men see nothing wrong with wearing a daytona under their shirt sleeve rather than a Patek or Vacheron, so the line between dress and sports watches has been blurred for a long time.

The first day dates were an innovation in themselves at 36mm and the submariners at 40mm. Rolex has just taken the next well overdue step.

In addition, the day date has existed in a larger case for many years just called the masterpiece. I prefer this to the day date any day and I can't wait to get a day date II on my wrist.

I want one but I only buy super reps now its seems. Since these are solid gold/plat. that will be an issue off the wrist since the rep will be plated SS etc.. Ill take one though if its done right but I doubt the makers will get a piece to replicate a 1:1 version anytime soon.

Hey guys...I was at the AD yesterday and I saw one of the first two DDII's in platinum to come into the country. It is the one with the clacier blue dial and blue applied markers. Strange, but the flat forty-fiveisg degree bezel makes the watch wear WAY bigger than 41MM, so you guys that love big stuff will love it even more. The President bracelet has a similar image in person to the smaller counterpart. Anyway, it wears like 43MM. It is interesting, but Ever since Rolex came out with all these new watches I have noticed this phenomenon and there is nothing specifically to seemingly cause it across the board. The GMTIIc wears like 42MM and the new YMII wears like 45MM, despite being 43MM. Anyway, I just thought you should know. I also figured out what I don't like about the DDII. It is the dials really. I don't like the concentric circles or the arabic numerals (I don't like those in general). I must say that if the DDII was offered in romans or sticks and in all the plain dials - just larger - as the 36MM watch I guess I would like to have one. BTW, the PT950 watch is just RIDICULOUSLY heavy. I mean the 36MM case and braclet is a brick, but this thing is like wearing a cinderblock on your wrist!

Yeah, I can't see them buying one of these unless it gets insanely popular. Too early yet. But they may take off and Rolex is the rep worlds bread and butter. But look at the Masterpiece. I doubt if the rep factroies would have reucouped if they bought one of those but I could be wrong. If The DDII gets big they will do it though and they may do it anyway just not a 1:1

I want one but I only buy super reps now its seems. Since these are solid gold/plat. that will be an issue off the wrist since the rep will be plated SS etc.. Ill take one though if its done right but I doubt the makers will get a piece to replicate a 1:1 version anytime soon.

The weight of the gold rolex models has always been an issue. It is hard to get steel to weigh as much as gold or platinum since the latter are much more dense metals.

I would still like to see a rep that is 1:1 if not only aesthetically.

@Robbie: I know what you mean about wearing larger. I posted a topic about this a long time ago. I had a few genuine day dates that were 36mm. I also own several reps of the same models. The genuines always wear larger. Especially with the modern day date you fell like you are wearing a 38mm cas not a 36mm and the masterpiece feels like it's closer to 40mm. I think is all has to do with the bezel and the lugs. You notice the thicker lugs on the newer datejusts compared to the reps. That has to do a lot to the feel of the watch.

With this said, I am even more excited about this new Rolex. I can't wait for my AD to get them in. I'll be sure to go try one on (I won't be wearing a rep that day BTW)................

Yeah, that DDII in platinum wears about 43MM - the 36's wear like 38's too just as you said. But the sports watches wear right at 40 - just what they are - except the new GMT ceramic which wears about 42 due to the chunky lugs and case shape.

The weight of the gold rolex models has always been an issue. It is hard to get steel to weigh as much as gold or platinum since the latter are much more dense metals.

I would still like to see a rep that is 1:1 if not only aesthetically.

@Robbie: I know what you mean about wearing larger. I posted a topic about this a long time ago. I had a few genuine day dates that were 36mm. I also own several reps of the same models. The genuines always wear larger. Especially with the modern day date you fell like you are wearing a 38mm cas not a 36mm and the masterpiece feels like it's closer to 40mm. I think is all has to do with the bezel and the lugs. You notice the thicker lugs on the newer datejusts compared to the reps. That has to do a lot to the feel of the watch.

With this said, I am even more excited about this new Rolex. I can't wait for my AD to get them in. I'll be sure to go try one on (I won't be wearing a rep that day BTW)................

I just put a new polished oyster bracelet on my daydate and couldn't believe how much larger it felt (the prez bracelet just felt too small after wearing breitlings, and roos most days). I'm glad rolex started offering the oyster in the president, the combo looks very good.

With that said, I would love a larger DDII, but isn't the band size the same. I think that is the real mistake (same with the Deep Sea), they made the case larger and now the band is not well proportioned.

Yes, that is true. If you want an Oyster you need to get a DJ. Personally I think it is a good idea as the Preident bracelet helps differentiate the otherwise similar lines. I also think that the President bracelet is more blingy, which suits the DD best as they are only offered in precious metals. The precious metals are rougher looking than SS when brushed and that makes the center polished links stand out all the more. And the President braclet has more smaller links as opposed to less and bigger ones on the Oyster. The president just shines more and is also more dressy. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE the Oyster on my DJ because it crosses over better so the watch can be worn casually too. I have these two in my sights to complete my Rolex dress watch collection. I just love the platinum/glacier combo as well as the Everrose/Tahitian MOP. They are just on fire in person and make my rhodium DJ look like a toy. But the prices? I guess I better have a good year huh?

PS: I'm not a gold guy as to me yellow gold is unattractive and rose gold is usually marginal and overdone. Rolex rose gold to me is the best looking by far - and it will look the same forever which is a plus. The color of much rose gold starts looking green really quickly. You all know how much I love UN and their rose gold is the worst ever. I ordered a new MMD Chrono in rose on rubber and I never even unwrapped it. I sent it back because the color made me want to hurl. If you haven't checked out Rolex Everrose - do so. This pic doesn't do it justice. It is pretty amazing...

glacier.jpg

tahitianrose.jpg

Actually Rolex discontinued the RG, WG and YG Oyster bracelets for the DayDate / President this year. Sad but true :(