When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My puppy got hit by a car tonight

dylan

So a couple of weeks ago, my big brown 9 yr old chocolate lab had to be put down

because of his spreading cancer. I was ready for this for a long time since he had been

sick for a while.

But I wasn't at all ready for tonight. My wife took our 2 shih tzus out for a walk...

The older one is Pele and he's a grumpy little one...Dolly, our new puppy is a female and we bought her

so that she could be Pele's companion and she's done wonders for his personality. His little angel...

we always said she brought him out of his darkness.

Anyways, for some reason my wife didn't leash Dolly when she went to other side of the street...

a young couple approach her and she fled towards our apartment and in doing so a car driving much

too fast rounded the corner and hit her. Its her instinct to run to our stoop. I heard screaming and

I ran outside and there was my baby girl all bloodied...I scooped up her little body and went into

hysterics. I have no idea why my wife brought her to the other side of the street nor why she

wasn't on her leash, this is something I will have to come to terms with.

In a flash our lives have been changed. I'm just remembering her right now...2 hrs ago I was sharing

a nectarine with her and she was chasing marbles around our floor.

Appreciate the moments you

have with the souls that you love because you never know when they can be taken from your lives.

She had this triangular head and when she sat down she would do a split...and look up at you with

the cutest eyes....Completely headstrong and never listened to me...just would look up at me as

to say, "I have you wrapped around my finger..."

Oh...and she was a licker...would not stop licking every part of your face...

Our shih tzus are like our children...and to have a baby taken from you...I don't wish it on my

worst enemy...My little girl...I can't imagine the moment she was hit...the fear, the pain...Life

so young should never be extinguished...

I love you Dolly, my little girl, Pele's angel...we'll meet again.

dolly1.jpg

dolly-pele-1.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carlsbadrolex

DAMN... there probably isnt much that can be said to make you feel better about what has happened. But know that your friends here wish you the best.

Thats just horrible.........

So sorry to hear that dave, I totally feel for you. :( I know you've been going through a bunch of things, and I remember smiling in a photo you had of you both I think in one of your avatars awhile back. Wishing you the best my friend :mellow:

Wow Dave I'm so sorry and sad to hear this. I remember it being not long ago that you were just telling us about the new puppy. I'm an avid dog lover myself and have have two Jacks. Both have managed to get off leash more than a few times and have scared me on a few occasions. Amazing what a big part of our lives these guys become and how much they mean to us. I've lost a couple in the past so I know how what you must be going through but kind of am lost for words. Just remember that they will live on in your heart and memories forever. My thoughts are with you, your wife, and Pele. We're here for you bro.

I feel with you man. I've had my dog running off a coupple of times. And this is the worst fear that comes to mind.

But remember to not blame your wife. She is probably as heartbroken as you, and it's easy to say things you don't mean when you are really upset.

Sorry for your loss.

thanks guys for the words...

i wrote the initial post right after coming back from the ER...

i definitely don't blame my wife and she's tortured enough as it is on her own...when i said coming to

terms i meant more on the lines of all the "Why, why, why..." that comes about from the initial shock...

its been about 6 hours since it happened...and now the initial pain is replaced with an emptiness...kind of

walking around and it hits you as you walk room to room, visualizing the way she would play...

Oh man! I'm still new to this forum but it's threads like this that make me feel at home although the story is very sad.

Dave, I am very sorry for you and your wife. I wish you all the best and I'm sure your dog is in a very good place now.

Kind regards

Valerian