When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Holy Crap!

jfreeman420

Yeah I see that. Looks almost like 20mm lugs with the correct 19mm bracelet? Bad machining or a big mistake?

Dunno... but in this price category it's an unforgivable mistake.

Actually the gen vintages don't have the end links as perfectly machined as the modern Rollies, but those are just laughable!

Yeah I see that. Looks almost like 20mm lugs with the correct 19mm bracelet? Bad machining or a big mistake?

...I think you're right! Those do look like 20mm lugs (looking at the curvature of the case). Stainless VJ72 cases with 20mm lugs were floating around about 3 years ago, but I haven't seen any lately.

The gen Daytona from the early 1960's from which this model is copied has a 19mm lug space and 19mm bracelet end link. I think the photo shows a gen 19mm end link bracelet on the rep watch that has mistakenly been made with 20mm lugs. The Daytona from the mid 1970s on has a case with the 20mm lug space and 20mm bracelet.

The gen Daytona from the early 1960's from which this model is copied has a 19mm lug space and 19mm bracelet end link. I think the photo shows a gen 19mm end link bracelet on the rep watch that has mistakenly been made with 20mm lugs. The Daytona from the mid 1970s on has a case with the 20mm lug space and 20mm bracelet.

Actually, the 20mm lugs didn't start until the late 80's with the first El Primero Daytona. The V72 models up to that point had the 19mm lugs ;)

Just shy of $6,500, I saw this watch on Honpo's site some time ago & I agree with Ubi that it is probably put together with 1 of those cases that were floating around awhile ago (I wish I had picked a couple up myself). But, in addition to the obvious misfit of the bracelet to the head (which I could live with), the dial (which differs from the dials that go into the steel models) contains the same telltale mistakes that plague most other aftermarket Daytona dials. At this price level, I am less willing to overlook those mistakes. But I would certainly never kick this watch out of bed if I found myself in possession of 1. This is 1 of the few yellow gold watches that I would have no problem wearing.........but I might have to rent a Cadillac to it drive in whenever I wore it.

Gevril made a homage of the 1960's Daytona in all steel and solid 18k gold. They pop up on eBay from time to time with solid gold models selling between $2500 to $5000 depending on whether it comes with the solid gold bracelet. I would rather drop $5000 on a Gevril homage myself if I were wanting a solid 18k watch rather than the this one.

Gevril made a homage of the 1960's Daytona in all steel and solid 18k gold. They pop up on eBay from time to time with solid gold models selling between $2500 to $5000 depending on whether it comes with the solid gold bracelet. I would rather drop $5000 on a Gevril homage myself if I were wanting a solid 18k watch rather than the this one.

That Gevril is quite nice!

ebay still have the 18k for 6.6k. THey using the 19mm strap.

ebay still have the 18k for 6.6k. THey using the 19mm strap.

I saw that too. That price is out of line for a leather strap version and more in line with what I have seen the gold bracelet versions sell for. Nice watch but with leather not $6600 nice. Cheers

That Gevril is quite nice!

I once owned the 18k strap version. It too had 20mm lug space and not 19mm like actual Daytona it was modeled after. I was a good watch. Bought it cheap at $2500 and sold it cheap a few years later at $2000. It wore well and made me feel good but in the end I sold it to help finance a new Datejust purchase. Later I sold the Datejust to finance a family trip to Disney World. I discovered that there is always just one more watch I want, Just one more and with reps the total investment is way lower even if I have 15 plus watches. Occasionally, I still miss that Daytona clone but it passes when I buy a new rep. Here are a couple of photos of that actual watch. It has a plastic crystal that sits up very high. I always felt that this was one of the features that made the watch. Too bad the photos I have do not show it off from a different angle.

GevrilB.jpg

TribecaWristA.jpg

@nanuq - is that your daytona??? When did you get that gold one? I remember you buying a super franken daytona a while back but that was a SS version wasnt it?

thats a very nice watch! Whats with the chronos? Is that an Asian 21j movemet in there? ;)