When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Die Grosse Fliegeruhr!

lanikai

Thank you ALL for the acknowledgement and kind word's it is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED..

This was a Joy to work on all week..

To answer a few questions..

@trombone ... I am not obsessing over the date window.. although it would be perfect to have it flush.. conversely I reflect on the Pams that I have without correct date font and I jus cannot wear them.. it is too much of a "distraction", let alone a strong "tell" and I get very irratated..

I will "take" the sunken Date window over incorrect font anyday.. it's something I can live with .. I'm sure with the advent of newer movements it will be addressed.. If the rep world keeps evolving at this pace newer better movements are sure to happen..it's the only way for the industry to improve..

I am also sure that with a high quality strap that this rep will take on a much different look .. and with a thicker gauge strap will also feel much better on the wrist..

As far as the Faux PR.. again for me it is not an issue... I would not pay 300 for this piece... even 250 would be really pushing it with the non working PR

but at the price it has on it .. I can live with it..... but I do find myself ...looking at the time and thinking... "wow.. strong PR" only for a split second.. :rolleyes:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.: awesome review!!

2.: the date is a little recessed on the gen too..

3.: rather a fixed PR than one that works because of some magic gear tricks.. for 2 weeks.. till the movement completely dies on you..

4.: why, oh why, oh why, oh why.. It was going really good. I was sure to not buy any watches for some time. I can hear me say 'the 112 and the hamilton have to be enough'.. now this.. :Jumpy:

Guest carlsbadrolex

Outstanding review R... Your pics are improving on every review that you do for us!

Now concerning the watch. I feel the sudden urge to scream, " There was once a BIG PILOT, and now we have THE REALLY BIG PILOT".

55mm is HUGE, and you wear it well! Remind me to never arm wrestle you (Didnt we discuss this A LONG TIME AGO?"

Thanks again my Hawaiian brother!

Outstanding review R... Your pics are improving on every review that you do for us!

Now concerning the watch. I feel the sudden urge to scream, " There was once a BIG PILOT, and now we have THE REALLY BIG PILOT".

55mm is HUGE, and you wear it well! Remind me to never arm wrestle you (Didnt we discuss this A LONG TIME AGO?"

Thanks again my Hawaiian brother!

I am really replying cause Shundi's post was #666 .. yikes :huh:

actually the original B-Uhr was 55 mm the BP 5002 is 46.2 Terry :D .. but the lugs are only 21 mm (I believe) .. so it does not wear as big as other 46 mm timepieces.. and with a low center of gravity it is a very well balance piece if you have the proper strap (thick) on it..

and Thank you once again T.. and also, Mahalo Shundi.. I couldn't let 666 stay on the board.. :rolleyes:

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the sunken date. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why the date would have to be sunken...I mean, there's no transfer gears appartently since the PR is fixed and there's no chrono function. I imagine it's because the movement is thinner than IWC's and they have to sit the movement low enough to get the crown in the right place..

The only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is the sunken date. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why the date would have to be sunken...I mean, there's no transfer gears appartently since the PR is fixed and there's no chrono function. I imagine it's because the movement is thinner than IWC's and they have to sit the movement low enough to get the crown in the right place..

This has been discussed here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=81596

Thx

amazing pictures lanikal. i have committed to angus that when the breitling blacksteel v2 comes out, i'll buy that and this iwc v1 from him. but [censored] me ... i can't stop coming back to look at these pictures. this is going to be a long month!

p.s. here are a couple of pictures i just came across, showing the genuine with the fish crown. this version is highly sought after now due to it's rarity.

dsc03106im3.jpgdsc03108pi2.jpg

amazing pictures lanikal. i have committed to angus that when the breitling blacksteel v2 comes out, i'll buy that and this iwc v1 from him. but [censored] me ... i can't stop coming back to look at these pictures. this is going to be a long month!

p.s. here are a couple of pictures i just came across, showing the genuine with the fish crown. this version is highly sought after now due to it's rarity.

dsc03106im3.jpgdsc03108pi2.jpg

Thank you !!

Yes the "Onion Crown" is what really caught my eye when I saw someone wearing the genuine !! that crown...sheesh.. she's a looker as is the rest of the piece.. I haven't been able to get it off my wrist this week !! It does not wear like a 46 mm .. the balance is outstanding !!.. absolutely no wobble on the wrist even if I wear the strap a little loose...

Lani...great watch, wonderful review :thumbsupsmileyanim: But I've got to correct you on one thing... That there is what you call a "Diamond" style crown, so named because the profile resembles its namesake. The "Onion" crown looks more like...well...an onion! (I hear you've got a few of those on Maui) :whistling: Here's an example:

img3682az4.jpg

Lani...great watch, wonderful review :thumbsupsmileyanim: But I've got to correct you on one thing... That there is what you call a "Diamond" style crown, so named because the profile resembles its namesake. The "Onion" crown looks more like...well...an onion! (I hear you've got a few of those on Maui) :whistling: Here's an example:

img3682az4.jpg

Yes Avitt.. :D .. I realize that .. the older B Uhr was called onion.. although some enthusiast still refer to the newer diamond crown .. in the old "onion".. I myself jus prefer "onion".. so since I wrote the review.. I choose "onion".. if it offended anyone.. as being correct or not..... OH WELL ... such is life .. :rolleyes:

Very nicely done review R! I think this is going to be my first IWC -I have to branch out one of these days.

:shock:

Wow.. :band1:.......... ;):help:

:blowup:

golf645 Posted Today, 04:23 AM

Well I thought I only was going to even buy PAMs but it would appear that this one is going to have to be added. Thanks for the great info. Mahalo.

If you are a Panerai enthusiast. this would go well with your 'Big Watch' collection

hambone Posted Today, 07:22 AM

Superb review Lanikai! Makes me want to buy that watch.

Mahalo Plenty E .... This piece would do well in your Gallery !! B)

dsc03106im3.jpg

dsc03108pi2.jpg

@wheaton26, i could be wrong, but i think you're mistaken re: the rarity of the genuine with the fish crown.

based on my understanding, the original gen 5002 version just had a simple fish on it (similar to the one on the rep). then, after the 5002 had been out for a couple years, there was a short period of time when they were putting the new 21.6k bph movement along with the new crown in the old 5002 case (and shortly thereafter, released the 5004 version). the 5002 version with the new movement has become known as the "transitional" model, although it is essentially the 5002 with the newer movement and crown. apparently there were only 200-300 of these made, and you will see people on timezone selling these versions at a meaningful premium to the standard 5002 or 5004 models. my feeling is that there are quite a few people trying to sell the transitional model at big premiums, but i'd guess very few are actually being sold at those prices.

deltatahoe

btw, great review lani :victory:

@wheaton26, i could be wrong, but i think you're mistaken re: the rarity of the genuine with the fish crown.

based on my understanding, the original gen 5002 version just had a simple fish on it (similar to the one on the rep). then, after the 5002 had been out for a couple years, there was a short period of time when they were putting the new 21.6k bph movement along with the new crown in the old 5002 case (and shortly thereafter, released the 5004 version). the 5002 version with the new movement has become known as the "transitional" model, although it is essentially the 5002 with the newer movement and crown. apparently there were only 200-300 of these made, and you will see people on timezone selling these versions at a meaningful premium to the standard 5002 or 5004 models. my feeling is that there are quite a few people trying to sell the transitional model at big premiums, but i'd guess very few are actually being sold at those prices.

deltatahoe

btw, great review lani :victory:

Thank you DT..

the Genuine that Joshua procured must be from 2003 or earlier.. as the Probus crown was added after 03 ..

but here is the IWC Genuine Forum info to confirm..

India Whiskey Charlie15-08-2007, 11:43 PM

And perhaps can give some insight. My first was an early 5002 with the fish crown purchased back in 2003 (I think!). Then, I got a 5004 last December. The 5002 movement is rated at 18k beats per hour while the 5004 movement has 21.6k beats per hour. This can help a watchmaker fine tune the 5004 a bit more for a bit more accuracy. Having said that, my experience is such that the accuracy of both is extremely similar even after both watches having been back to IWC for service and regulation. In fact, I have four 5000-based IWC's. Two 18k's and two 21.6k's and see no difference in accuracy between all four. There really is no "better" movement between the two.

Now, as to the crown difference, IWC changed the fish crown to the Probus Scafusia crown when they changed from the 18k to the 21.6k movement before releasing the 5004 models. At the same time, there was a revision made on the crown tube to prevent a damaged that occurred on the original 5002 fish crown. On some watches, the crown tube slid inside the case preventing the crown from screwing-in. When this happened, IWC replaced the fish crown with the Probus crown. As such, some 5002's with the Probus crown may very well be early 18k watches.

With my personal experience, I see no difference in the two movements. Now, had IWC gone to a 28.8k beats per hour, it may have been a different story.

There seems to be so much confusion (on my part at least) on the difference between the 5002 and 5004 movements on the BP. first could someone please explain the main differences and why one would prefer one movement over another. I understand most of it is personal but don't understand which is truly "better". Secondly, The fish crown issue! what is the deal with this? My crown has a fish or my crown doesn't have a fish. What does this mean and does it really matter. Thank you in advance, your assistance is greatly appreciated. Greg.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------