When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

McCain picks Alaska Gov. as running mate

southcoast68

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about "who has the experience to be President" needs to stop. The ONLY people qualified to be President are former Presidents. If this ticket wins and something happens to McCain, NO WAY the GOP lets her take the office of the President. I don't care how pretty she is, how many moose she hunts and eats, how many kids she got, ain't gonna happen. She's being used plain and simple.

Oh, and here's some maths I did next door that I thought I'd share:

As for McCain dying in office, how many times has that happened? Once? Maybe?

Never. He's still alive :)

As for other presidents dying in office, it's happened EIGHT TIMES. In fact, we are currently at the longest run without a president dying in office since the early 1800s.

William Henry Harrison, Zachary Taylor, Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, William McKinley, Warren G. Harding, Franklin D. Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy all died in office.

The Following VPs became Presidents:

* John Tyler - death of William Henry Harrison

* Millard Fillmore - death of Zachary Taylor

* Andrew Johnson - assassination of Abraham Lincoln

* Chester Arthur - assassination of James Garfield

* Theodore Roosevelt - assassination of William McKinley

* Calvin Coolidge - death of Warren Harding

* Harry Truman - death of Franklin Roosevelt

* Lyndon Johnson - assassination of John Kennedy

* Gerald Ford - resignation of Richard Nixon

Now, if you do the maths, of the 42 presidents (no, not 43) you've ever had, 9 have been promoted from the office of Veep. That's a 27% chance Palin will be president of the US on past form, not even taking McCain's health into account. Over one-in-four chance she will be president if McCain wins the election.

Once? Maybe? Are you kidding?

how many Christians do ya know that have Hussein as a middle name ? ;)

How many Christians choose the name they're born with? Oh, that'd be none.

McCain is the one who changed one of his children's names (Bridget - yes, it's an unusual case) to something Christian, if you want to play that game.

As for the religion of a person being dictated by their name, let's start with Benjamin Franklin. Was he Jewish? What about Abraham Lincoln? Does it matter what they're called?

In fact, I'm calling you out. You're being racist.

She also chose to keep Trig when she and Todd found out she was pregnant with a Downs baby. She delivered him healthy and we're sure proud of that.

Are you sure your tax dollars aren't taking care of Tad whil Mom is in Washington and Dad is Fishing?

I never get into political discussions on any forum but I'll make an exception this one time.

Sarah may not have the thick resume of other VP candidates under consideration but I must admit, she has fired up this race like no other selection would have, not even close.

As to her seeming lack of experience, she has far more executive experience than Obama which basically has zero. She's tough, bright, sticks by her convictions regardless of political consequences and is a fiscal conservative. I for one, do NOT appreciate elected officials in Washington wasting tax payer dollars and then proposing higher tax rates for individuals, small businesses, capital, dividends and so forth just so they can get their hands on more.

I am concerned about the economy and it is the #1 issue that we face today. Social issues (on both sides) have unfortunately become too much of a factor in influencing important US elections. As was mentioned in an earlier post, social issues do not generate jobs, place food on the table, pay mortgages or fund a child's education.

Should Sarah become the first US American VP, I suspect that it could make for one very interesting showdown with Hillary in 2012. The network ratings would be explosive!

Nanuq, I may have to visit Alaska. If Sarah is any indication of the ladies you have there, I'm game. :D

All this talk about "who has the experience to be President" needs to stop. The ONLY people qualified to be President are former Presidents. If this ticket wins and something happens to McCain, NO WAY the GOP lets her take the office of the President. I don't care how pretty she is, how many moose she hunts and eats, how many kids she got, ain't gonna happen. She's being used plain and simple.

LR, I don't get it. Yes, totally agree that the experience argument is dumb. Want someone with the experience to be president, there's always Bill. BUT, if something happens to McCain, the GOP has nothing to say about how 'take(s) the office of the President.' It will surely be her if this ticket wins. I know you know that, so what am I missing?

This looks to be a photoshop fiction:

sarahpalinvogue.jpg

Too bad. In contrast I seldom think of Joe Biden without remembering his hair plug transplant of about 10 years ago.

Photoshop Palin would be a tough act to debate. You'd be annoyed at every moment the camera stays on Biden rather than her. (Moderator: "Excuse me Senator Biden, did you say something?....Now Sarah, about that moose recipe......")

Perhaps this is McCain's secret strategy to conquer Carla Bruni's France?

This is as serious as I am going to get in this discussion.

For her experience credentials check out how the Alaskan economy is doing during these economic times, especially considering the mess she inherited. For "foreign" policy check out how well she negotiates between the many Alaskan native nations we have here, each with wealth larger than many countries. They have strident and significant demands for subsistence, land rights, social issues, healthcare, energy needs, and they usually DO NOT get along well together. She has managed to address their needs very well. As for foreign business, tarrifs, negotiations, she stood up for Alaska and faced down the oil companies, upholding the Alaskan. constitution to their detriment. She took away the Pt. Thompson leases from Exxon after they violated the terms AGAIN, and is forcing that development toward.

Our housing is strong, employment is strong, education is strong, we have almost 30 billion dollars in the bank, and she called the legislature to session AGAIN to make them produce a resource extraction rebate so each eligible Alaskan gets $1,200 for energy this winter. How many special sessions has she called? How often does she bend the legislature to her and the public's will? At least a dozen in 2 years. This woman can stare down the CEOs of BP, Exxon, and TransCanada and make them blink. She shoots better than I do.

She also chose to keep Trig when she and Todd found out she was pregnant with a Downs baby. She delivered him healthy and we're sure proud of that.

She can be your best friend; you do NOT want her for your enemy. She's an original iron woman and IMNSHO she'd do better than McCain.

Thank you for passing along some "local" knowledge. Must admit I was a little lukewarm over the choice, but assuming this is all true it gives me some hope that there was more to this than simply trying to shore up the Republican base. Any local insight on the whole State Trooper firing "investigation" that the media has jumped on?

I think the whole key now as to how well she is accepted on the ticket will be how she performs in the debate with Biden.

What a great role model

Palin's own mother stated in an interview that she's not convinced and unsure if she will vote for McCain.

She added: "I'm not sure what she brings to the ticket other than she's a woman and a conservative"

And in an interview with Cindy McCain this morning:

Asked about Palin's national security experience, Cindy McCain could not come up with anything beyond the fact that, after all, her state is right next to Russia. "You know, the experience that she comes from is, what she has done in government -- and remember that Alaska is the closest part of our continent to Russia."

Edited by UB7

That's a real Vogue cover they did after her election.

"Alaska: where the dogs are beautiful and the women are fast"

"Alaska: where men are men and women win the Iditarod"

Don't forget, none of your preconceived notions about women apply here. She's tougher than most men I know.

About Wooten and the divorce and the firing, yeah it's true and surprised us here too. She put all the facts out there and it looks like her aide acted on his own. Sure it was ugly but at least it didn't turn into a "Spenard divorce". So far it's the only tarnish of any kind on her performance.

How many Christians choose the name they're born with? Oh, that'd be none.

McCain is the one who changed one of his children's names (Bridget - yes, it's an unusual case) to something Christian, if you want to play that game.

As for the religion of a person being dictated by their name, let's start with Benjamin Franklin. Was he Jewish? What about Abraham Lincoln? Does it matter what they're called?

In fact, I'm calling you out. You're being racist.

the reason i brought out the MiLF v/s Moslem comparison was to point out which way a politically correct America will lean in Nov 08

but according to you, being observant and not falling for the democratic spin machine makes me a racist ? :rolleyes:

if that were true, i guess i'm an equal opportunity racist ... i hate EVERYONE equally, haha

now who wants to sell me a nice Tag for next-to-nothing ? ;)

Nanuq, I may have to visit Alaska. If Sarah is any indication of the ladies you have there, I'm game. :D

Lord have mercy... NEVER say that if she's holding her rifle! :ph34r:

For her experience credentials check out how the Alaskan economy is doing during these economic times, especially considering the mess she inherited. For "foreign" policy check out how well she negotiates between the many Alaskan native nations we have here, each with wealth larger than many countries. They have strident and significant demands for subsistence, land rights, social issues, healthcare, energy needs, and they usually DO NOT get along well together. She has managed to address their needs very well. As for foreign business, tarrifs, negotiations, she stood up for Alaska and faced down the oil companies, upholding the Alaskan. constitution to their detriment. She took away the Pt. Thompson leases from Exxon after they violated the terms AGAIN, and is forcing that development toward.

Our housing is strong, employment is strong, education is strong, we have almost 30 billion dollars in the bank, and she called the legislature to session AGAIN to make them produce a resource extraction rebate so each eligible Alaskan gets $1,200 for energy this winter. How many special sessions has she called? How often does she bend the legislature to her and the public's will? At least a dozen in 2 years. This woman can stare down the CEOs of BP, Exxon, and TransCanada and make them blink. She shoots better than I do.

She can be your best friend; you do NOT want her for your enemy. She's an original iron woman and IMNSHO she'd do better than McCain.

Are you telling me that a State that has always had a healthy economy is because of Sarah Palin? Alaska and Virginia are the top two most Federally Funded Sates in the country. Alaska gets dividends and other subsidies for oil company income.

The longest ranking Rep Senator Stevens Scrutinized who is the architect for the economy of Alaska and gets all of the funding for the State is under Federal investigation for political corruption and one of the charges is bribes taken from the main private money source of the State of Alaska, Energy Services Company, Veco whose chief executive pleaded guilty in early May.

Housing is a problem but their are 5 or so states that are really foreclosure problems, the other states are having problems that are above the Governors head like industry leaving and going out of the country for cheaper labour. Alaska has an industry that can not be shipped over seas unlink Michigan, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Iowa or Ohio whose industry has either gone to South America, Mexico or Asia. http://www.fundmymutualfund.com/2008/07/fo...tivity-map.html

In the last study taken Alaskas education is tied for the rank of 49th in the country. http://www.statestats.com/edrank.htm

In the last full year statistical look at health care Alaska is in the bottom 10 in the U.S. http://healthcare-economist.com/2007/06/14...-care-rankings/

I think its cool for us to discuss politics but we all as Americans need to look at the facts, not just one persons view of how good or bad things are. If you look at the facts it doesn't seem that Alaska is doing all that great in comparison to other States that are fighting to keep industries from leaving and sky rocketing housing prices that are starting to plummet from eroding the middle class wealth of the country.

Edited by dred30

i dont know if anyone has already mentioned it, but WHAT kind of wacko is McCain to chose a VP like that?! At his age, did he even THINK about it for ONE second, that the VP might be president if he dies (which isnt too unlikely).

This woman also wants creationism taught in school and other things I dont wanna get into. His VP choice makes him even more laughable than he already is.

You have to look at what she's improved here in 2 years, not the mess from the prior 50 years.

The answer for most of the education and federal expense issues is that our state is more than 2x as big as Texas with villages everywhere and NO roads. We are required by federal regulation to build schools in the bush that are comparable to the ones in the city... At a cost of millions each. Many of the schools later close when the student population drops below a dozen. All the materials, lunches, books, computers, satellite Internet stuff, fuel ... Everything has to be flown out there. Every day. Our education budget is IMMENSE and it's inadequate. And the villages cannot tax themselves to pay for it... So Anchorage pays it all, with some federal help. Native/white issues prevent accredited teachers staying in the villages more than a year or two, and still it's improving.

And we are one of few "owner" states where we mutually own our resources so the dividends come from severance royalties we charge the oil industry, well invested.

Education has dramatically improved in the last 2 years, housing is still strong, unemployment is typical/seasonal and we're seeing blue skies in the forseeable future. That's where her 80% approval rating comes from. We really aren't hicks and morons here, we know a good leader when we see one.

My advice is to elect her, then try to stay out of her way.

i dont know if anyone has already mentioned it, but WHAT kind of wacko is McCain to chose a VP like that?!

People vote for the top of the ticket. The bottom half mostly functions to validate the top with the party's base. Both VP's do this. Any other value conferred is dubious at best.

LR, I don't get it. Yes, totally agree that the experience argument is dumb. Want someone with the experience to be president, there's always Bill. BUT, if something happens to McCain, the GOP has nothing to say about how 'take(s) the office of the President.' It will surely be her if this ticket wins. I know you know that, so what am I missing?

A very valid question jmt. What I am saying is that if something happens to McCain, the GOP "powerbrokers" will PRESSURE this woman to step aside for the good of the party and the country. Now she doesn't have to give into that pressure and she also doesn't have to take the oath of office. Can you imagine the reaction from the international community if this novice takes office??? Now she may be a great Gov. of Alaska and they obviously love and adore her but the rest of the planet is somewhat different than Alaska. Do not expect her to be on the re-election ticket if it gets that far. She is being used for the here and now. Say what you want about Joe Biden, but he could step in the Oval Office. This whole thing is a bloody mess if you ask me.

What I am saying is that if something happens to McCain, the GOP "powerbrokers" will PRESSURE this woman to step aside for the good of the party and the country.

That would depend on who the Speaker of the House of Representatives was. I can't see the "GOP powerbrokers" letting a Democrat succeed, and there is no way to just pick who they want.

Has no-one see The West Wing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States...e_of_succession