When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Time accuracy you achieved from your autos

spa

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask what is the accuracy you managed to get from your automatic rep so far?

(thinking that many people have many reps for long time, up to now, so it's a good time asking :) )

I managed to reach a good +6" on ETA 2824-2 and 2836-2 and no less than +/-20-25" on asian movements.

how about you?

Hi guys,

I'd like to ask what is the accuracy you managed to get from your automatic rep so far?

(thinking that many people have many reps for long time, up to now, so it's a good time asking :) )

I managed to reach a good +6" on ETA 2824-2 and 2836-2 and no less than +/-20-25" on asian movements.

how about you?

At the last check my seagull in the aqua tera was a consitant +4

I don't get anal about these things. They keep good time. Nuff said.

JTB

johntheboy...this is not about you.

Modern mechanical watches today, whether asian or swiss, can be adjusted to remarkable accuracy compared to very high grade swiss of a few decades ago. I recall that it took about three adjustments by the AD to get my new Rolex Chronometer adjusted to within 5 seconds per day in 1963.

I don't get anal about these things. They keep good time. Nuff said.

JTB

I agree. I have fussed with my asian and ETA replicas quite a bit and NOW, all of them are to within +-5 seconds a day but those accuracy points are transient dependent on if I'm wearing the watch or not, how much it's being worn, how fully wound the watch is etc... Even my genuine COSC certified SMP Chrono is out of specs at 7 months out of the box. Not horribly, it's + 7 sec per day, but it's not the watch that left Switzerland. Bottom line is chronometer accuracy in a mechanical watch, once achieved, is fleeting. An automatic movement that runs 10-15 seconds fast per day is an easy cross to bear when a quick hacking pull out of the stem for 15 sec each morning is all that's required to get it, for the moment, right back in line.

The best I have ever got was +3 seconds a week on my IWC power Reserve after 2 adjustments. I guess I got lucky. Still keeps this time after 5 months.

Most of the others I can easily get to 4 to 7 seconds a day with manual adjustments. i always try to keep it on the + side.

Usil

7+ seconds per day on a ETA sub.

BUt what I do is to adjust once a week by setting it slow by

30 seconds. then re-adjust again next Monday morning.

The best I have ever got was +3 seconds a week on my IWC power Reserve after 2 adjustments. I guess I got lucky. Still keeps this time after 5 months.

Most of the others I can easily get to 4 to 7 seconds a day with manual adjustments. i always try to keep it on the + side.

Usil

7+ seconds per day on a ETA sub.

BUt what I do is to adjust once a week by setting it slow by

30 seconds. then re-adjust again next Monday morning.

My PAM 029 has lost less than 3 minutes since may 12. 180 secs divided by 60 odays = 3 secs per day. not too shabby...

Within a minute a month on an Asian VC Dual Time Regulateur, purchased from another member.

ETA powered Seamaster Professional from Jos - spot on, to the second, over a week.

Which is impressive, but unimportant.

Because the watch that I decide to wear tomorrow will have run down and need setting and winding.

And the day after that... the same thing will happen.

The big advantage of reps over gens...

is that we can afford to own a lot of them :lol:

• 2 months later...

Two minutes a day is when it's time to go see your watchmaker and see if he can't regulate the watch for you and get it back w/in 10 seconds per day- hopefully without having to do a complete service. Maybe it would be something simple like cleaning the hairspring, or maybe putting it on the Vibragraph and making an adjustment or two.

The big question w/ the ETA's is just what kind of shape are they in (particularly in reps) when we receive them. Since these movements are more than likely assembled in factories over in the far east, the question remains, how well are they oiled and caliberated. The rep manufacturers aren't going to spend much time checking them, but some of the dealers like Josh, and TWG do service their ETA's on the "Perfect " line and I read this week where Josh offers servicing as an option on his watches.

But if you get a rep that doesn't keep very good time- especially an ETA, it's time to see the watchmaker- esp. if you like the watch and want to wear it and keep it for the long haul.

My PAM 029 has lost less than 3 minutes since may 12. 180 secs divided by 60 odays = 3 secs per day. not too shabby...

very interesting... i was going to say the same... 029 with 2892 is +3secs per day (out of the box)... although i've gotten into the bad habit of resetting the seconds to the atomic clock once a week... now that's anal.

Hi guys,

how about you?

I am getting similar results on many of my reps. The Swiss ETAs can be regulated to reach COSC standards. Great movements.

--Doc

My watches from Josh (all fully serviced by his watchsmith at the time of purchase) are running within +- 7 seconds a day, depending a little on if they're on wrist or in winder. They keep good time, I usually set them via my computer (synced via internet to proper time) to make sure they're where they need to be that day or week, depending on where I am and where I'm going.

My black sub from Andrew (not a close rep by any means... but a good beater) has been a constant +1 sec/day as long as I wear it daily... When I let it sit a week in a winder it went to -6 a day... back on the wrist and back to +1 sec day. I'm extremly pleased with this accuracy.

My wife however runs around -23 minutes/day... anyone know how to adjust that movement?