When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For you Euromariner and WM9 builders...

ubiquitous

how much do these usually end up going for?

LOL! A couple people (undoubtedly from here) have bid this thing well above the usual going price since ubi's post. There's still an hour left guys--'C'mon! I know you want to pay 25% of the cost of a used gen for a bezel and insert!

Guest Vddubgrub

Thanks to Ubi, I won the other auction for just the gen insert. Im so excited to build my first watch. Here are my plans:

1) WM9 or Euromariner case

2) gen insert

3) gen bezel assembly

Do you think these mods are possible by someone that has never taken a watch apart before? From what I read, the bezel can just be "popped" off and none of the mods Im thinking require watch specific tools right? This should be fun :)

By the way, modding has been in my blood since a kid. I also mod computers and I used to have a heavily modded 04 VW R32 golf.

Guest Vddubgrub
You definitely will need specific tools.

A case knife, a set of watchsmith screwdrivers, a crystal press and a rolex style case opener is the minimum for what you are going to do.

And no, I would not recommend to do it yourself if you have never before taken a watch apart.

Well...thats a bummer. <_< How did you guys learn to mod watches? Any good books available?

Just out of curiosity, why do I need to open the back of the case or need a crystal press?

Edited by Vddubgrub

Ubi ... damn!

I know this was not your intention, but ....

:(

Yeah, I'm regretting that I posted this. My intent wasn't to screw anyone out of this stuff; rather, I wanted to bring it to the forum's attention as I know some of you guys out there were looking for this item. I never had any idea this would reach the price in which the auction ended, nor the feeding frenzy that had ensued.

So, if anyone lost this item due to my posting, my most humble apologies. I won't do it again :(

Well...thats a bummer. <_< How did you guys learn to mod watches? Any good books available?

Trial and error here... Lots of it.

@Vddubgrub

To change out the bezel and insert, a crystal press is all you need. I'm assuming you can either pull the bezel off with your hands or a dull kitchen knife. Just go slowly so you don't lose the click spring- it is prone to flying out. And as Ubi says, lots of trial and error. After you hang around here a while you'll pick up lots of tips in the how to's. And hopefully once you snap your gen insert into your gen bezel with a crystal press, you will be able to press the whole assembly onto your WM9/Euromariner. Sometimes the gen parts don't always fit the reps like you would like for them to. Good luck.

Ahhh... For doing the insert, I'd recommend using your thumbs :) I typically follow the Jocke method of snapping the bezel onto the watch and pressing the insert in with my thumbs 3/4 of the way (you'll want to snap the bezel on to line the triangle up with 12:00). That last 1/4 of the way will be difficult to press in with thumbs, so what I do is place a cloth on the table and press the insert in by applying pressure using the table as leverage. Snaps right in; granted this is with a gen bezel as well.

If you're installing a retaining ring, then using a press is a must!

:)

Guest Vddubgrub
Hello all,

you can get the bezel much cheaper when you

get a Set aftermarket including Bezel,washer and retaining

Ring on the Bay.

Just a tip ;)

Tribal, the aftermarket bezels "kits" I am seeing on ebay dont really look quality to me. Got any pics of the ones you are talking about?

Thanks for all the tips guys. This is a lot of info for a beginner. I have a bkmariner sub but dont want to practice on that. Anybody want to be commisioned to put my franken together when I have sourced all the parts? :p

Edited by Vddubgrub

Nobody lost out through you posting it here Ubi but you did probably cost me more in the end! :o:o:o I set a maximum on the first time I bid and it did not reach it thank god. This bloody hobby is way too expensive!!

I will post the fitted results later next week. The recipient is a Precioustime Supreme Sub.

Guest Vddubgrub
Nobody lost out through you posting it here Ubi but you did probably cost me more in the end! :o:o:o I set a maximum on the first time I bid and it did not reach it thank god. This bloody hobby is way too expensive!!

I will post the fitted results later next week. The recipient is a Precioustime Supreme Sub.

Can I ask how you know the gen bezel assembly will fit this rep watch? Are you planning on modding the bezel to fit the rep or will it be direct fit?

And if it doesnt work, I will take it off your hands :p

I have done this before. The PT Sub shares the same body construction as the WM9, Euro anmd latest MBW. I have a euro and have owned 3 WM9's. One thing I will add is the precioustime example is much better finished than any previous version I've had and has the best bracelet endlinks I have seen on a rep so far. The band has solid centre links which is of course wrong but I can forgive that with it's overall finsh.

It does have the engraved rehaut which is hardly noticable really and does not bother me as much as I thought it would. It carries the number M549797.

I have already fitted it with a gen crystal and reworked the cg's a little. My camera is on holiday with my girlfriend and will take some shots when she is back after the weekend. B)

Guest Vddubgrub
I have done this before. The PT Sub shares the same body construction as the WM9, Euro anmd latest MBW. I have a euro and have owned 3 WM9's. One thing I will add is the precioustime example is much better finished than any previous version I've had and has the best bracelet endlinks I have seen on a rep so far. The band has solid centre links which is of course wrong but I can forgive that with it's overall finsh.

It does have the engraved rehaut which is hardly noticable really and does not bother me as much as I thought it would. It carries the number M549797.

I have already fitted it with a gen crystal and reworked the cg's a little. My camera is on holiday with my girlfriend and will take some shots when she is back after the weekend. B)

Thanks, but will the entire gen bezel assembly fit on the PT sub (WM9, Euro) without modification?