When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Come Fly With Me

freddy333

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOW did she come out nice! That would SO fit in my collection of old-timers. *cough*

Well done! :tu:

My, my.......compliments from Tribal AND Nanuq on a home-brewed 6542 that was just a backup project until the DW 6542 got off the ground......& this watch is not even finished yet (with some of the best parts yet to come). I thought, for sure, at least 1 of you would pull this thing apart.

Thanks again, for all of your help on this.

I can only imagine and envy the skill and patience that went into this amazing project, freddy. Although I would not select this model for myself, I can certainly appreciate this watch’s vintage charm and esthetically pleasing character. It must bring you great satisfaction to plan and perform these modification feats.

Thank you. Truth be told, the GMT was never 1 of my favorites either. It was actually By-Tor's colorful & brilliantly-photographed GMT reviews that initially got me hooked. But, in the end, my inherent preference for vintage drew me to the 6542 & the original's Perspex (bakelite) bezel insert finally sold me.

Now that I have spent a day wearing it, I have to say that it is an extremely comfortable watch to wear & the toned-down vintage colors give the watch a more subdued appearance than later models. All in all, I am glad I came around.

My god Freddy.

That is a seriously ambitious project.

I was talking with Tribal last night about it.

Congrats on the result, it is really :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I learned a lot about this Rolex that I didn't even suspect existed on day :lol:

Cheers

Stephane

Unbeatable, as usual, Freddy. Awesome.

Wow Freddy, some interim project. That came out great :wub:

Thanks all. The surprising thing about this project was how relatively easy it has all gone together. Those of you who have been following the story know the issues I ran into in getting the insert over the 'red ring'. But, although they came from disparate sources, many of the parts snapped together perfectly. The 2 remaining questions are whether the 27mm diameter replacement dial will fit the case (the original dial was 28.5mm, the dial that is currently in the case is 28mm & both fit comfortably) & whether I can successfully broach the proper handset (with small GMT hand) to fit the ETA. But if all goes well, this project should be complete (pending some later decision to modify the engine that powers it) by next weekend.

brevetfitting033sharp1.jpg

synchrothis015a1.jpg

My, my.......compliments from Tribal AND Nanuq on a home-brewed 6542 that was just a backup project until the DW 6542 got off the ground......& this watch is not even finished yet (with some of the best parts yet to come). I thought, for sure, at least 1 of you would pull this thing apart.

Thanks again, for all of your help on this.

Ah, it is not appropriate for me to pick apart your efforts here. I think it came out very, very well. Good job.

However, when it's time to critique the DW project... THAT one has to be spot-on.

Keep up the good work! :tu:

Ah, it is not appropriate for me to pick apart your efforts here. I think it came out very, very well. Good job.

However, when it's time to critique the DW project... THAT one has to be spot-on.

Keep up the good work! :tu:

Just to be clear, by 'picking apart' I meant positive criticism (in an effort to help improve the result), which is not only appropriate, but welcomed.

But since I appear to be on the right track, I certainly appreciate the compliments. :good:

UPDATE - I ran into a bit of a problem with the crystal, which was attached to the case with GC Crystal cement. I kind of had a feeling it might not be strong enough & my feeling turned out to be correct. I accidentally tapped the watch into the side of a door & the crystal (unscathed) popped off the watch. I originally considered affixing it to the case with 330 epoxy, which dries clear, but it creates such a hard bond that I might have to grind the crystal off if I ever need to remove or replace it. So I ordered some crystal UV cement, which I think should do the trick. If anyone with experience with UV crystal cement thinks there might be a problem, please let me know & I will reconsider the 330 epoxy option.

I should also mention that the tube I received with the Brevet crown was slightly stripped (it works, but I do not feel secure about the way it threads into the case). So I replaced it with a Swiss-made aftermarket tube from Ofrei, which fits both the case & Brevet perfectly. So if anyone else needs a tube for a 6mm Brevet, go to Ofrei.

Well then positive criticism it is! The one weakness is the retaining ring. Call a few machine shops and ask how much they'd charge to mill off a slice of brass tubing, cut the correct inside and outside diameters, machine a triangular outside face, and press that sucker down onto your case to replace the retaining ring you have now. You'll be surprised how cheap it is. It will also lower the overall height/thickness of the watch, which is absolutely key to these pieces.

Have them mill the outer diameter so it's less than a snap fit for your bezel. Then you can play with hex spring configurations to get the right "snap" into place and to take up the slop. You can also experiment with how far down onto the case you press the retainer to get the right bezel clearances. As long as they're tooled up to do the deed, have them make 10 extras and *cough* sell them here to recoup your expenses. The market exists and DW might like the impetus to do it the RIGHT way. Of course YMMV so DW will have to adjust diameters so it presses over the crystal like Gen.

Well then positive criticism it is! The one weakness is the retaining ring. Call a few machine shops and ask how much they'd charge to mill off a slice of brass tubing, cut the correct inside and outside diameters, machine a triangular outside face, and press that sucker down onto your case to replace the retaining ring you have now. You'll be surprised how cheap it is. It will also lower the overall height/thickness of the watch, which is absolutely key to these pieces.

Have them mill the outer diameter so it's less than a snap fit for your bezel. Then you can play with hex spring configurations to get the right "snap" into place and to take up the slop. You can also experiment with how far down onto the case you press the retainer to get the right bezel clearances. As long as they're tooled up to do the deed, have them make 10 extras and *cough* sell them here to recoup your expenses. The market exists and DW might like the impetus to do it the RIGHT way. Of course YMMV so DW will have to adjust diameters so it presses over the crystal like Gen.

Although it looks the same after I put everything together, the Silix case does not have a retaining ring (it is constructed differently than your gen). So I am not sure where you would put 1, especially since the only problem I had with the case was the lack of clearance between the bottom of the insert & the top of the infamous 'ring' (which has been ground down as low as it will go without losing the equally infamous 'lip' that the bezel requires to afix it to the case).

Here is the case without the bezel

withwithoutbezel0031.jpg

Everything you see below & below/right of the crystal (which is currently held on with GC crystal cement) is solid metal (the case).

Here it is with the bezel

withwithoutbezel0011.jpg

There is nothing inside the crystal & it is retained only by the cement joint between it & the front face of the case. Where would you place a retaining ring?

Nanuq, I see what you mean, but I do not understand what I would gain by replacing what is there now (which works) with new parts that I would need to machine myself, especially, since I believe the watch would look & function the same as it does now? I think the idea is brilliant in theory, but it just seems like alot of additional work to achieve the same end result (the bezel & insert will be in the same position & the watch will look the same from the outside as it does now).

Remember, also, that the height of the vertical ring is actually quite a bit shorter than it is in your drawing. More like this (& the highest point on the bezel is parallel with the top of the ring)

Image4-3.gif

Ah, mea culpa... I thought the "red ring" still stood up too high, preventing the insert pushing down far enough into the bezel. That was my aim.

Well it's one fine looking piece! Wanna sell it? :D