When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Come Fly With Me

freddy333

the only incuracy that i think should be purposely left is the date adjustement, because that is too painful to adjust on a watch you don't wear every day.

so the crown still has 3 position and not just 2.

But anyway i think it is pointless to goe that far in trying to mimic the real movement as the date disk will still turn in the wrong way .

Idol hands ARE the devil's workshop........

I had some free time today & got to thinking that if I am going to eliminate the hacking (done) & GMT hand-setting function (done), I might as well remove the quick-set as well. Done.

May God forgive me when the curses start flying because the date is 28 days off every time I want to grab the watch on my way out the door (& I am neurotic about that sort of thing). :angry::wacko:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since I have virtually turned the 2846 into an antique, functionally speaking (non-hacking, non-quick-set, 2-position stem, non-adjustable GMT hand), I am wondering if I should remove the auto-wind gearing to eliminate that tell-tale swishing sound of an ETA when it is wound (with the gearing removed, winding the stem produces only that lovely 'clicking' sound, similar to the gen Rolex movement).

Am I being too neurotic or on the right track?

Thoughts, opinions?

• 2 weeks later...
Wow! Sure hope you're able to overhaul it Freddy, that's one heck of a find!

Yes & I can tell you that after my initial double-take (when I stumbled upon this veritable box of unearthly delights), I did a triple-take, followed by a quadruple-take & then some. Not only does it come with a gen set of 1675 hands, date wheel & dial (though, as you can see, the dial would need to be professionally restored to be usable - which I am considering), but I got the whole shebang for the price of a good average rep. :whistling:

As long as all of the parts are there (I am told they are), the overhaul should not be a problem.

I can't understand why I didn't read the whole 6 pages before. XP

I guess I'm a tad late here, but I'm astonished with what you've done, and an attractive idea that one of having the possibility of getting one also.

Good luck with that 1675 overhaul, looks like you're going to have a good time there!

congrats, and keep us posted, I even like the jubilee band on that beauty. XD

Chino.

I guess I'm a tad late here, but I'm astonished with what you've done, and an attractive idea that one of having the possibility of getting one also.

Good luck with that 1675 overhaul, looks like you're going to have a good time there!

congrats, and keep us posted, I even like the jubilee band on that beauty. XD

Chino.

Thanks, Chino. But some of the credit needs to go to By-Tor, whose brilliant GMT reviews were the catalyst that sparked my initial interest in GMTs (though, admittedly, I did veer away from By-Tor's series II predilections to concentrate, instead, on a vintage model ;) ).

Unfortunately, it will be a week or more before I will receive the 1035. So maybe I will be able to complete 1 of my other projects before this 1.

what a great find. i have been looking for a date wheel for a 1035 for a long time that did not make my teeth hurt. where did you find that treasure ? i wonder how that movement is going to fit the case. it is always something that goes askew that makes the hobby so worthwhile- when it is sorted.

I would rather not publicize the source until I have the movement in house.

As for whether it will fit my modded Silix case, we shall see. But, generally speaking, you can just about always make a movement fit a given case. It is just a matter of how much time, effort & money you want to throw at the problem. My real fear is that, although the seller has assured me to the contrary, the movement may be missing some parts that I cannot easily replace. Assuming that is not the case & the movement requires only a standard overhaul, this will actually solve the 1 remaining issue that has been standing in my way of completing this project - finding a way to fix dial feet to an dial that was made without them (the 6542 dial is made to press-fit onto the Rolex movement's main plate).

i have had enough case scraping to last me a lifetime. the killer has been stem height in the case in cases where i have floundered. as far as the dial and eta movement, a route would be send my an eta dial blank for him to print up as a 6542 vice playing with a cup dial.

i have had enough case scraping to last me a lifetime. the killer has been stem height in the case in cases where i have floundered. as far as the dial and eta movement, a route would be send my an eta dial blank for him to print up as a 6542 vice playing with a cup dial.

:o

Do you know if he would do that (custom print a 6542 dial onto an ETA blank)?

Odd that you should even mention that, because I just received such an ETA blank (with dial feet made to fit an ETA) today that I was going to try to print myself. But if MY is able & willing, I would gladly leave it to a pro. Have you spoken with him about this?

On the other hand, due to recent developments (noted in 1 of my previous posts above from earlier today), I am hopeful that dial feet will no longer be an issue......if you catch my drift. ;)

If you wind up needing some rare parts, don't forget Ziggy. My Gigandet is just back from the Spa and the pinion was broken on my center seconds wheel... v72c vintage. He had a source that got him the part. It was expensive but what are you gonna do? The watch HAS to be correct. He might be able to scrounge up some stuff if you need it. Another source would be Ron Rogers in the Joshua Green building, downtown Seattle. He has a nice supply of old stuff.

Are you SURE you don't want to send me that watch now? :D

If you wind up needing some rare parts, don't forget Ziggy. My Gigandet is just back from the Spa and the pinion was broken on my center seconds wheel... v72c vintage. He had a source that got him the part. It was expensive but what are you gonna do? The watch HAS to be correct. He might be able to scrounge up some stuff if you need it. Another source would be Ron Rogers in the Joshua Green building, downtown Seattle. He has a nice supply of old stuff.

Are you SURE you don't want to send me that watch now? :D

Pretty sure. (I hope I am not going to have to keep looking over my shoulder once this watch is finished. :unsure: )

Hopefully, parts will not be an issue, but I will definitely check with our Watchmeister (Ziggy) if I need anything that cannot be sourced through normal channels (many of the parts are available from Borel). I am going to send you a PM regarding the v72c. Check your mail in a minute.