When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Parts and Rolex Reps

Kahn

I'm slowly warming up to Rolex Reps, my question to all you "professional" modders is:

Some reps seem to offer easily the ability to accept Gen parts..some don't. Is there a definative list of what works?

Would it be too time consuming or difficult to compile such a list? I know from dealer to dealer the reps are different in some reguard, how about we use a standard spec sheet:

REP:_____________

Dealer(s):_____________ (all)

Case Size:_____mm

Movement: _____________

NO MODS and Swapable:

Crystal (YES/NO)

Bezel (YES/NO)

Bezel Insert (YES/NO)

Hands (YES/NO)

Dial (YES/NO)

Crown (YES/NO)

Crown Tube (YES/NO)

Braclet/strap (YES/NO)

Clasp (YES/NO)

A few to start...

REP: WM9 16610

Dealer(s):

Case Size: 40mm

Movement: ETA 2836-2

NO MODS and Swapable:

Crystal: Yes

Bezel: Yes

Bezel Insert: Yes

Hands: No

Dial: Yes

Crown: Yes

Crown Tube: Yes

Braclet/strap: No (not a perfect fit)

REP: MBK 1680

Dealer(s):

NO MODS and Swapable:

Dial: Not a direct fit; modification required

Crown: Yes; with genuine or aftermarket tube

Braclet/strap: Yes; with the correct end links

REP: MBK 1665

Dealer(s):

NO MODS and Swapable:

REP: DW 6263/5

Dealer(s):

Case Size: 37mm

Movement: Mystery Movement; swappable to Swiss V23

NO MODS and Swapable:

Hands: Yes and no; only with the Swiss movement installed and only certain hands will fit (you have to use a combination of different hands)

***Valjoux 72 is also possible with the correct V72 specific case

I'm sure there are others out there with specific experience with some of the other pieces (like the Euromariners, SSD's etc.) and hopefully they'll post as well. The list I posted is a very small list of some of the most recent/up to date examples off the top of my head that I have had specific experience with; I didn't bother listing older variations (i.e. like the 16610) in which parts swapping wasn't quite as compatible. If I think of any others, I'll be sure to add those as well...

My Noobfactory ExpII has a genuine dial. Gen crown and tube are easily swappable as well. Bracelet... I don't know, but my rep ExpII SELs are so good that I don't think it's even worth it.

2.jpg

16710 from the same factory has the same specs. With some mods it's very close. See Stephane's franken here.

Among the best & closest Rolex reps (with some mods) imho.

Ubiquitous - again, your very much appreciated! I will compile this into a spreadsheet (screenshot) for everyone to share. I'll keep it updated as I see more results come across!

I think it is worth mentioning that with the MBW's, some parts are not a direct drop in. Like the crown tube, which needs to be tapped to the correct size (and sometimes drilled) first. I have also seen where inserts do not just pop in like they should (although most of the time they do).

Yes, though generally speaking, those parts will fit just fine as a 1:1 replacement. The only reason why I've ever had threads tapped prior to installing a gen tube was to clean the old debris out.

It should be known (and perhaps expected), however that there are always exceptions to every rule as differences in tolerances in production are a possibility.

A few to start...

REP: MBK 1680

Dealer(s):

NO MODS and Swapable:

Dial: Not a direct fit; modification required

Sir I am very intrested to this question about dial aftermerket on 1680

I desire to buy a dial similar to this photo for my Sub red writing, but I dont know because aftermarket dial is good for DRSD and not for 168

Please explain to my what is the modification required, thanks for help

post-3745-1221581935_thumb.jpg

If you want to build an accurate 1680, stay the hell away from the red dials. The red SUBMARINER font/appearance is blatantly wrong on every single one of them, and every Rolex WIS will call it out in 0.05 seconds. They literally SCREAM fake.

If you want to build an accurate 1680, stay the hell away from the red dials. The red SUBMARINER font/appearance is blatantly wrong on every single one of them, and every Rolex WIS will call it out in 0.05 seconds. They literally SCREAM fake.

Thanks, sir in your opinion for realize a nice 1680 is impossible to use a replacement dial. But the standard MBW dial is nice but is not very very good. How is possible to realize a good 1680 if is impossible to replace dial ?

Genuine dials won't fit into the 1680 without trimming; gen dials are roughly 1mm too large in diameter which prevents proper fitting (specifically, the dial is too large to allow correct seating to the case behind the rehaut).

Thanks. In your experience

YES replacement dials are for vintage seadweller, sub no data and Exp II Mc Queen,

NO for Sub date.

Have I know correct ?

Thanks for your patience in answer

Personally, I would go for the white dial MBW 1680. The dial isn't perfect, but it's much more difficult to "call out" because there's more variation. Those red watches are highly collectible and all Rolex WIS are well aware of them. I doubt any rep dials would survive the hardcore "Rolex WIS tests" but at least the whites aren't blatantly obvious.

I'm actually amazed how half-assed all the aftermarket red dials are... I haven't seen even a SINGLE one that looks even remotely correct. Strange, because there is a huge market for them.

Personally, I would go for the white dial MBW 1680. The dial isn't perfect, but it's much more difficult to "call out" because there's more variation. Those red watches are highly collectible and all Rolex WIS are well aware of them. I doubt any rep dials would survive the hardcore "Rolex WIS tests" but at least the whites aren't blatantly obvious.

I'm actually amazed how half-assed all the aftermarket red dials are... I haven't seen even a SINGLE one that looks even remotely correct. Strange, because there is a huge market for them.

Thanks for your opinion. I am not enthusiat for red writing sub, but also the white writing dial has the problems of installation , Ubi docet.

I am not very expert, I dont know that I am able to shrink the replacement dial

I do not want to ruin everything, .....dammn also the white dials replacement are very nice.......

post-3745-1221586214_thumb.jpg

Great discussion...and great info from Ubi and BT of course.

Now, if anyone can provide info on what replacement movements would work in either the Explorer II, GMT II, GMT, GMTIIc, etc...essentially anything GMT related...that would be interesting. I'm still afraid to jump on the GMT band wagon without either having somebody willing to work on a modded movement with the 4th hand...or a better quality replacement.

Great discussion...and great info from Ubi and BT of course.

Now, if anyone can provide info on what replacement movements would work in either the Explorer II, GMT II, GMT, GMTIIc, etc...essentially anything GMT related...that would be interesting. I'm still afraid to jump on the GMT band wagon without either having somebody willing to work on a modded movement with the 4th hand...or a better quality replacement.

For GMT... go for the wrong hand stack genuine ETA. I seriously doubt it will have any issues. Not visually correct of course, but I have never experienced any problems with them. And even the visual flaw is greatly exaggerated (just imho). Well, it doesn't bother me at all.

Ironically, the CHS movement in my franken-ExpII is working perfectly after 3 years. I just won't touch the hour hand setup.

The replacement for the CHS is 2893-2. According to my watch guy even the hands fit, but then the hour hand and 24h hand order would be reversed of course. It's a bit weird solution, yes, but it's the only one (if you want to keep the hand stack order correct). But like I said, the gen ETA 2836-2 "faux GMT" have all been bullet proof for me.

@eagle_lex: Thanks, I love my ExpII too. You can read more about it here.

my Exp.:

SSD (i had 3 pieces)

gen crown : yes

gen insert : on 1 of 3 without mods

gen dial : yes

gen bezel : no

gen crystal : no

Noob GMT II (had 3)

gen crown : on 2 of 3

gen dial : yes

gen insert : no (has to be modified)

gen bezel : no