When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Blackbird re-lume

RWG Technical

Not much for show and tell on this one, the movement was fully serviced, but that's hard to appreciate via a post...

The dial and hands and pearl were relumed in C1 Super Luminova. On the dial I was able to remove the original lume from the markers, and re-fill the markers with C1. So I managed to get a good quantity of lume installed.

Overall pics after the servicing, yes, this is a running seconds at 3 model, but they are very well made as was stated in my review of this movement.

Ran into the normal issues with any A7750, but had an extra twist on this one in that the hacking lever ended up jamming up the keyless works, of course only after the watch was completely assembled and being tested. It wasn't practical to completely disassemble the movement and start all over again since I couldn't determin if the lever was defective, if the slot for the lever was machined wrong, or if there was something not quite right with the keyless works, so I removed the hacking lever completely to fix the jamming. Not that that is simple or easy either, but spending another 4-6 hours re servicing a movement just serviced, with no idea if I could fix the defect didn't appeal to me at all.

Here it is all done:

9.jpg

A closer view of the markers and how much lume I was able to fill in after I removed the crappy rep lume/plastic pieces...

7.jpg

The mandatory glow shot:

8.jpg

Thanks for looking.

RG

Not much for show and tell on this one, the movement was fully serviced, but that's hard to appreciate via a post...

The dial and hands and pearl were relumed in C1 Super Luminova. On the dial I was able to remove the original lume from the markers, and re-fill the markers with C1. So I managed to get a good quantity of lume installed.

Overall pics after the servicing, yes, this is a running seconds at 3 model, but they are very well made as was stated in my review of this movement.

Ran into the normal issues with any A7750, but had an extra twist on this one in that the hacking lever ended up jamming up the keyless works, of course only after the watch was completely assembled and being tested. It wasn't practical to completely disassemble the movement and start all over again since I couldn't determin if the lever was defective, if the slot for the lever was machined wrong, or if there was something not quite right with the keyless works, so I removed the hacking lever completely to fix the jamming. Not that that is simple or easy either, but spending another 4-6 hours re servicing a movement just serviced, with no idea if I could fix the defect didn't appeal to me at all.

Great job on the lume Rob!! I just got my Skyland V2 back from my watchmaker who said he encountered the exact same thing with the hacking-lever. He also removed it (background info). So it seems more a7750s suffer from this same problem...

I've just had a go at luming on some old dials that I got from ebay and the results aren't even on the same scale as those. I think it wil be a very long time and take many many attempts to start to get anywhere near the quality of finish.

Your skills are extrodinary, hopefully I will be able to own one of these pieces one day :)

• 1 month later...