When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are you a watch collector or "wearer"?

By-Tor

Are you a watch collector or "wearer"?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Collector or wearer?

• Collector
    • Wearer

Wearer: Definately. I wear almost every rep I have although some less than others (Calatrava comes to mind)

Collector: I guess I am since I have over 30

I find myself constantly evaluating and looking for some to sell but in the end, decide to keep them - definitely a sickness :bangin:

I voted "collector", due to the amount of watches in my collection, but, I don't buy watches I don't intend to wear at some point (say a dress watch, or a watch for rough wear like camping) All my watches, at the time of purchase, were bought with the intention of wear (even if only for specific activities/times) I've never bought a watch solely with the intent of it being a paperweight in my collection (even if that's how it may wind up at some point :lol: ) That said, I do then keep the watches, even if only for sentimental reasons, so I guess that makes me a collector :)

[edit to add]

Having read Ubi's comment, I would have to call myself an "accumulator" rather than a "collector" :)

I suppose that I am a collector although my wife has other descriptions for me. I have about 60 watches, about 50% rep, and I'm determined to get this down below 30. Therefore 35 have been identified for sale, including some modded items that I simply don't wear, (Breitling, IWC, Omega Panerai etc). There is a bunch of gens for the chop in this list too so I must start taking photos and getting them listed on the appropriate forums.

Wearer most definitely ! I'm into tool watches.

Once upon a time I was really into chronographs, and I used them for timing many funny day to day events as if I were adding hours into my life by controlling and maximizing my ability to get through various jobs or chores in the fastest yet most complete ways possible.

This became a bit dangeous however when it came to driving, because when in this mode, I found myself doing some pretty crazy stunts to get through traffic,.....however the most life threating was timing fun with the wife.. ;)

Now my watches are divers, that I'm using for underwater breath control retraining, and my all time favorite, the Jlc Alarm,.. which I use to build up my internal clock by setting an alarm, then reaching to turn it off, within as few seconds as I can before it rings without knowing the time. This I find fascinating. ^_^

Time is everything after all,...

I was a wearer previously, 6 gens that I rotated based on the occasion and company.

Once I got here I became a nutjob, excuse me - collector.

I really enjoy buying watches that I previously drooled over and others that I never considered before - Thanks RWG -(bought about 20 reps in four months).

Now I'm more selective, more aware and more discriminating. I have begun selling off those that don't turn me on or giving them away as gifts.

And unfortunately obsessing over which to add to my collection.

After reading the prior posts I hope that I will be going back to wearer following By-Tor's 8 watch rule.

JW

I'm changing my profile from collector ( infact i don't wear half of my watches ) to a wearer.

Meaning that i want to built a collecting that i wear regularly of let's say 6 watches.

This doens't include several gens i own.

Capre Diem

Cats

Despite the fact that my collection continues to grow, I'm definitely a 'wearer'. My PAM 111h gets the most wrist time, followed by my VC perpetual retrograde calendar - but all of my watches get work at least once or twice per month...

Most people have only one maybe two watches, and if you have 5 or more, IMO, I would say that you are more of a collector, even though you wear them all, it is clearly a hobby and passion to get more than a couple watches. I have a few in my collection that I don't wear as much as others, but, as Lanikai said, it is nice to kick back and gaze at your boxes of watches.

i'm definitely a wearer, but my collection has grown to the point where it is hard to wear them all regularly :mellow:

my watch wearing habits ebb & flow -- sometimes i change it up every day, sometimes i'll get stuck on a particular watch for several days at a time...

i love the variety -- it is what makes reps so great -- you can own 10 incredible reps of very different watches for the price of one gen :victory:

deltatahoe