When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My final decision: Are the gen Rolexes worth the money?

By-Tor

By-Tor, that is a beauty (great photography). I own several expensive gens, including vintage Rollie's. Appearance wise the reps now equal the gens. I actually enjoy the reps more. Why? something to do with the forgers art?

Yes, some Reps are "more perfect art" then the gen. No challenge to making perfection with umlimited funds.

Great pic BT,....I agree with your remark that some reps ARE worth their money(at least a lot of them..) Take my Ebel Discovery, Tag Aquaracer,Pam 005,3717,Pam252..Depends on where you get them and what version but still...a lot of respect for the makers of these reps.

I know I'm gonne be burned for this.........but I don't see what it is with Rolex. I know some of their gen mvt's are made inhouse and are very complicated I respect that but the watch simply doesn't do anything for me. I will never will spend that amount of money on a gen Rolex...simply not my brand, sorry

gen rolex watches are mass producted from robots(except the movement which is mass producted but hand assembled) and reps are mass producted also with mass producted movement and hand assembled.

whats the difference?

only the price and some minor differences...its just a watch!!!

and something about the invenstment issue...rolex watches are losing their value after a couple of months or years from the first transaction as you can easily notice that on ebay.

what you have to lose from buying a rep? nothing!!!

gen rolex watches are mass producted from robots(except the movement which is mass producted but hand assembled) and reps are mass producted also with mass producted movement and hand assembled.

whats the difference?

only the price and some minor differences...its just a watch!!!

and something about the invenstment issue...rolex watches are losing their value after a couple of months or years from the first transaction as you can easily notice that on ebay.

what you have to lose from buying a rep? nothing!!!

Dude it is the other way around.

Buy a steel rolex, 2nd hand or with a good deal, keep it and you will not.. read my george w lips.. loose money..

reps that is a hobby, you will loose money.. bigtime but you will have fun

I know I'm gonne be burned for this.........but I don't see what it is with Rolex. I know some of their gen mvt's are made inhouse and are very complicated I respect that but the watch simply doesn't do anything for me. I will never will spend that amount of money on a gen Rolex...simply not my brand, sorry

No reason to be burned my dear Capice.

It's a matter of taste and fellings only.

All the other watches you mentioned doesn't talk to me at all :D

If I had the funds, I would buy every single genuine variation of the Submariners (date and no date) and Seadwellers :wub:

Dude it is the other way around.

Buy a steel rolex, 2nd hand or with a good deal, keep it and you will not.. read my george w lips.. loose money..

reps that is a hobby, you will loose money.. bigtime but you will have fun

Absolutely.

In example "Who wants to buy my Franken Single Red for 1.500

It is just like buying a new car. Yes, the value drops the minute it is driven off of the lot; however, when you by a Mercedes, BMW, or Porche, you will have residual value built in. If you buy a Toyota, or Ford you are faced with deminishing value over time! Bottom line, buy second hand and hold for a long time. Has anyone been paying attention to the stock market? Not a place to have your money right now! Myself having lost 8 or 10K in the last six months. However, why not INVEST in something with a proven track record of holding its value with the potential to increase? Just MHO! But what the hell do I know?!

Funny... I actually meant my initial question as a rhetoric one, just to "present" the new photograph, but this became an interesting discussion.

Carry on! :tu:

1)wearing a gen rolex some people will think..'wow..he is wearing a rolex' some others will think 'i bet its a rep' and many many others will not notice because its not their hobby...whats the cost??

atleast 4000 usd

2)wearing a rep rolex some will think 'wow he is wearing a rolex' some will think ' i bet its a rep' and many many others will not notice your watch...whats the cost?? about 200-500 usd

by selling your gen good working rolex you will loose some of the value (maybe few thousands) or if you are extremely lucky you will just take your whole money back (only in case you bought it used)

by selling your good working rep you will loose few bucks or take your whole money back or even make profit if you sell it to those who does not know the source where to find a good rep.

thats my personal opinion guys.

by selling your gen good working rolex you will loose some of the value (maybe few thousands) or if you are extremely lucky you will just take your whole money back (only in case you bought it used)

Yeah, just think about all those poor bastards who bought sports Rolexes back in the 60's and 70's... and STILL have them with the full paperwork.

Sad stories indeed... :D

Yup...investing is one thing. Getting a gen Rolex will maintain value or increase in value over 50 years...depending on the demand for that particular model.

If you are captivated by the SPIRIT of the watch then a gen adds so much more value.

If you are just captivated by the design...then a rep is just dandy.

Awesome pics as always...great lighting.

Some rolexes do hold their value and in some VERY rare cases increase in value, but 99% of the time from what I can tell a 5-10 yr old rolex gets about 50% of its original selling cost, still not a good investment at all.

Some people use that EXACT same analogy with rolls royces, how they will only increase in value etc. Right... which is why a 1985 silver spur with 50K miles now sells for around $25,000.... <_<

Some rolexes do hold their value and in some VERY rare cases increase in value, but 99% of the time from what I can tell a 5-10 yr old rolex gets about 50% of its original selling cost, still not a good investment at all.

Definitely not true... at least not with the 40mm stainless steel sports models, which are the most popular (here and everywhere). Only "full size" SS model that seems to depreciate faster is the Explorer II (and even they never go as low as 50%). Sub, Daytona, GMT and Sea Dweller all hold their value extremely well.

Your analog is true for gold/twotone/dress models though.

I don't think a brand new gen submariner is intrinsically worth over 6 thousand dollars. I've had several gen Rolexes and they haven't been completely trouble free. Gave them all to my 3 sons for special occasions. If they aren't stolen, they'll give them to their sons. No doubt about it, they are nice watches, but not worth over 6 grand. Since I gave them to my sons, I'll not see any appreciation of value, but actually that is one reason I bought them in the first place. Now that that has been accomplished, I'll stick with a few solid reps and be done with it. I have to say though, of all the gens I've ever owned, I'll probably buy an Omega Seamaster pro chronograph again. Great value there. Design, materials, fit and finish is just the best for the money anwhere imho. Only one of two watches I know of that has chrono pushers that can be operated at depth. These can be had on the secondary market for less than 2k. What gives market value to Rolex is the Rolex marketing machine. They control the price of gen Rolex like the DeBeers diamond cartel controls the price of diamonds.