When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help modding Submariner crown/tube

blue_sphere

Hey RWG,

Ok so I ordered a gen crown and tube for my 16610 submariner (a euromariner) and I need to know how to take the old tube out and put the new tube in.

Havent seen a lot of articles on how to do this. So if someone can give me a step by step guide that would be great. I also need a place that I can buy an inexpensive tube tap!

Thanks,

Shawn

Freddy,

I wouldnt be asking if I had found something. I see MANY tutorials but if you notice even edges beloved guide http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=10769... stops at the tube. I want to make sure that I am going to do this right.

Please note I have seen your post on tube tapping, still that is well below the level of information that I am looking for. If you would please point me to a guide I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn - Sorry, but RWG is not really designed as an online tutorial or step-by-step how-to guide (as much as I wish it was). There are many people here who are more than happy to assist you, but you need to do the basic legwork first & ask specific questions. Questions like 'What is the best......?' or 'How do I install a tube?' are just too broad. Which Sub? Modern or vintage? Date or no date? Which model number? Genuine or franken or rep? You see what I mean? Be specific as to exactly what you need to know & you are more likely to get answers. But before posting such general questions, use the Search feature & you will probably find everything you need.

Freddy,

I know that I am not a platnium member, but I have learned a lot. I have made some connections with some people here (porche and shundi come to mind) as well as worked with BK to solve some problems with the euromariner.

With all due respect (and you deserve a lot with your level of knowledge). The things that you are asking for is clearly outlined in my original question. As I stated, it is for a 16610 Submariner (a euromariner) so it should fit no problem. I am ordering a gen tube and crown that I want to install. The 16610 has a date and I believe a model number that I stated in my original post quickly brings the vagueness level down.

I really am taken aback that you have been the only person to respond to my question. Thank you for taking the time to do so. Despite the experience that I have gained, I have never done a tube installation, and I am very nervous. Again any help that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

-Shawn

i'm actually looking to do a tube replacement, the gen tube on mine broke somehow? replacing it with a clarks that costed 18.50. I picked up a crown/tube set from someone for cheap, they claim its a gen, but i have my doubts. read around where there was some vague descriptions to how its done, including retapping with a tool, even had a thread size, but no real guide.

Shawn, tube installation isn't easy- I just busted off a tap in an MBW 16610 case last month- guess I should have drilled it first. Removing the existing tube- either a rat tail file jammed in there- turn counterclockwise to remove, may need to heat slightly if it's glued in there, or a T-8 or T-9 Torx bit might unscrew it for you. Last resort is turn it out of there with a pair of pliers- you'll never use the tube again anyway.

Clean the hole with a Rolex tapping tool- 3mm x .035- the one for the 6mm and 7mm case tubes- you can go to JulesBorel.com and you'll find one for $35 plus s&h. If your existing hole is too small, you have to drill it out before you tap it, or you risk busting your tap like I did last month on my MBW. Don't know the size drill bit- maybe 3mm.

After tapping the hole, you need to chamfer or countersink the case so the tube will sit correctly in the case and the crown will screw down flush. A larger drill bit the size of the outside of the case tube will do the trick- can'rt remember which size though.

You then need the tool for installing the case tube- julesborel again- another $35 or so. It's the new sytle tool for installing Rolex case tubes- 6 and 7mm. I use a little thread-lock compound and screw it in after dry fitting it first. After that you just unscrew the rep crown and screw in the gen crown to the stem of the movement and away you go.

BTW, the Euromariner case tube will accept a gen crown, I believe- it might be a whole lot easier if you just replace the rep crown with a gen and leave the case tube alone.

Shawn - No offense, but I (& others) have posted descriptions on how to r&r a tube numerous times in numerous threads. You just need to spend the time (like we all do) to Search out the info.

The details of the process depend on your particular case (I deal mostly with vintage models, so I cannot give you specifics regarding the Euromariner or similar modern reps) & having to repeat the same thing over & over again gets old pretty fast. But Alligoat seems to have answered your question.

What I can tell you is that the process is very simple - remove the existing tube & install the new 1. If required, drill and/or tap the existing hole (you will know if it is 'required' if the threads do not match and/or new tube binds or does not screw into the hole). The difficulty comes in the practice, as Alligoat, who is certainly a senior member, has described.

My recommendation - get 2-3 tubes (you may break 1 or 2), the requisite Rolex tube tool (ofrei.com, julesborel.com, cousinsuk.com, etc.) & the tap that Alligoat recommended (I have never re-tubed a 16610, so I would defer to his knowledge here). Do not force anything.

And, again, Search the Rolex & Watch Repair forums for additional details.

I also need a place that I can buy an inexpensive tube tap!

A quick word of advise. Do not buy cheap or inexpensive tools. Sure you may think, "I'm only going to use it once." But in speaking from experience, nothing will de-rail a project quicker than a cheap tool breaking, or worse, damaging a part or rendering it useless.

Btw, you can buy the right size tap from any machine tool supply company, and it'll be a lot cheaper than Ofrei's.

I could not agree more. Buy good tools! This is a mod that sometimes can become a cluster [censored] of immense proportions. There is nothing more fun than trying to get a broken tap out of a case :)

Very true.. I have one of those cheap chinese 100 piece tap and die kits, and its fine for alloy or the very softest steel, but for real work I buy proper taps individually just as I need them. I have the ofrei tap and it seems identical to the better machinist grade items.

There is nothing more fun than trying to get a broken tap out of a case :)

LOL Marty, if you know how to get a tap out of a case, let me know. That MBW case is sitting on the bench with the broken tap in it. I can't for the life of me figure how to get it out- but I do have some ease-outs from my flooded Galveston Bay house- the workshop had 6 feet of water in it- maybe the smallest one would work. I sure hate to waste a perfectly good case.

Thank you guys all for the info! It has certainly helped! Just to give an update, thank you soo much for the "heat up the tube/case" tip. It made taking out the current tube a breeze. I just unscrewed it with some pliers. At this point all the threads look to be in fine condition. That being said, should the new tube screw in... do I have to tap the case?

Thank you again everyone!

-Shawn

Thank you guys all for the info! It has certainly helped! Just to give an update, thank you soo much for the "heat up the tube/case" tip. It made taking out the current tube a breeze. I just unscrewed it with some pliers. At this point all the threads look to be in fine condition. That being said, should the new tube screw in... do I have to tap the case?

Glad to hear you got the old one out. I am surprised how much heat is actually required to break the bonds. You will find the same thing applies to removing crowns from stems.

As to needing to tap the case...like Freddy says...you will know when you dive in. It really depends on who in China did the machining. What is "supposed" to happen is that the cases are 1:1 and the new oem tube screws in just fine.

:D:D:D:D

Sorry...let me catch me breath...that was a good one!!!

If you read a previous thread in the Search from I think Freddy, you will find even the Gen Rollies have problems as parts often require special sized, non-standard Rolex tool bits because of particular generations of parts. This often applies with low-grade QC/QA CN manufacturing.

Ideally, have the tools and spare tubes on hand...dive in and find out. Like Freddy says...if it screws in easily...you don't need to tap. If it doesn't...you need to tap.