When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ok, now it's my turn

southcoast68

Well, I got my Tudor Sub in on Friday, and am pleased with what I got. It has been running great, not losing or gaining and sets well. The bezel insert I do not like and I will probably be looking for one with a better pearl. Other than that, I have nothing I want to change at this time. So, here are the pics of the one I got, gentlemen - start your comparison.

This is how I got it, with a brand new Hadley Roma band which I do not intend on using with it.

Tudor1.jpg

The crystal has a nice dome to it, it also has a scratch at 5:00 (or maybe its a smudge of glue :p ).

Tudor2.jpg

The movement appears clean and runs real good. Its a slow beat non-hacking movement, like the others. Notice the micro-stella adjustment screws on the balance wheel.

Tudor3.jpg

Here is another shot of the movement.

Tudor4.jpg

The caseback is very well done, has what I call "the moat" around the case wrench teeth, correct Oyster case wording, nice engraving on the inside with the same "IV 68" as the others, and as Freddy said, it screws down on the case like no other rep caseback can. The case also has the machined lip on the back making the mating surface for the caseback about a millimeter (or a little less) below the back of the lugs.

Tudor5.jpg

Tudor6.jpg

Case number is the same - 7016/0

Tudor7.jpg

The serial number is - 737738, about the case numbers, they are engraved - not etched in

Tudor8.jpg

Ah, the bezel assembly, it features a thick crystal retaining ring (with no groove underneath) and a thin metal retaining washer. No wavy, paper clip like retaining wire.

Tudor9.jpg

The dial is the same as the others with the "SWISS - T<25" at 6:00 and is nicely printed. The lume dots have a nice cream color as do the hands (dial and hands match nicely). The watch was pretty clean, but the crystal appears glued on, so I may replace the crystal altogether with one that better fits. All in all, I could have done way worse for $275.

Here it is with a gen folded link Oyster bracelet.

Tudor10.jpg

Tudor11.jpg

Here is what I think. Genuine movement (taken from another not as sought after Tudor model), Viet case, Viet dial, good quality (but aftermarket) crown and tube. After tracking down a gen bezel insert (which may cost me much more than what I paid for the watch itself) and replacing the crystal, I'll have another keeper for the collection. A BIG THANK YOU to Chris5264 for originally bringing this deal to light.

Cheers B)

Here it is with a gen folded link Oyster bracelet.

Tudor10.jpg

Here is what I think. Genuine movement (taken from another not as sought after Tudor model), Viet case, Viet dial, good quality (but aftermarket) crown and tube. After tracking down a gen bezel insert (which may cost me much more than what I paid for the watch itself) and replacing the crystal, I'll have another keeper for the collection. A BIG THANK YOU to Chris5264 for originally bringing this deal to light.

I think the lume on your & chris's dial look like they could have been relumed by an RSC. ;)

Originally, I was going to replace my crystal (for the same reasons), but it appears to be either a gen or 1 of Clark's, I am still not sure which. But almost definitely 1 of them & it looks quite gen, either way. So I decided to keep the crystal, though I may remove & reinstall it so I can be a bit more confident while wearing it.

I showed my watch to another gen Rolex/Tudor collector & he thinks it is probably a gen that was fit with aftermarket parts (not the other way around). Hmmmm.... :g: Were it not for the repeating serial number (which he agreed looks genuinely engraved), I would take that story to the bank.

But, whatever the truth is, I think we all got a helluva watch (& deal) for the money.

Nice clean watch. I notice that your watch has the newer Triplock tube with visible external gasket. Anyone else have this set up?

Perhaps these are first Generation reps as I mentioned earlier when Chris first showed us his. I bought one of these for around $450.00 from Girard's over at least 6-7 years ago. I sent it back because it didn't keep time very well. This was back before any real high end reps or 1:1 reps were around.

To have this type of Gen construction with the correct style case, crystal retention ring and pretty damn nice dial and hands on a period correct movement........it makes you wonder.

Can't wait for mine to arrive this end of month. Just can't... wanted to keep my mouth shut and my tongue bitten 'till I saw it in person but couldn't wait...

this one should come with a gen tube and crown and probably a better insert and pearl than the "standard" one...

I think I may get a tudor oyster bracelet for it, I know it substracts from originality but it'll look a tad more tudor-ish me thinks.

I have to live till end of the month first.=)

Congrats on your new keeper. The good thing is that this watch will always be a good modder.

cheers!

Well, I have an update. As of this morning the watch has stopped. A little hand winding and a little gentle agitation will not start it, so as of now, my good deal has lost some of its luster. I will elect not to return it since there is no guarantee that what I will get back (if anything) will be any better. So for now, I am stuck :black_eye: . As I am yet to be good enough at taking apart a movement, I would have to send it to someone, which is tough because I need someone to trust. Someone who can fix what it has and not just replace the movement with another one. Based on his knowledge and track record, The Zigmeister would be my first choice, and he has a long waiting list. So for the time being, this one will sit off to the side.

So much for that trip to their watchmaker :ninjastar:

That's horrible to read, did you contact the people at the shop?

There has to be something to be done... Besides you may suggest them to take it to a Rolex service just to know how do they think about the idea... that could bring us some insight on the watch's origin?

just for informative porposes.

girards site already hinted at it probably not being a gen watch. they even said not to buy them for resale as you will be making a big mistake. there is no way they would send a watch they are selling for $275 to a rsc to have them fix. RSC will confiscate anything thats not gen also.

Given that it's an early ETA, servicing the movement should not be a big deal. Any competent watchmaker should be able to do it. It should run $100-150 for a clean and service, I would think. I wouldn't even mention anything else about the case, etc. I'd look at it just like our other reps w/ ETA's- having to service one just goes w/ the territory. Even adding in the cost of a service, it's still a great deal and then you should be good to go for another 5 years.

Given that it's an early ETA, servicing the movement should not be a big deal. Any competent watchmaker should be able to do it. It should run $100-150 for a clean and service, I would think. I wouldn't even mention anything else about the case, etc. I'd look at it just like our other reps w/ ETA's- having to service one just goes w/ the territory. Even adding in the cost of a service, it's still a great deal and then you should be good to go for another 5 years.

Ditto.

Well just got word - mine is shipping Monday :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That is great news, dluddy. But I cannot believe they still have some left.

If I did not have all of my watch money tied up in current projects, I would buy a few more for gifts. I think the Tudor Rose Subs are prettier (not to mention rarer) than Rolex Subs. And since we still do not know for sure what is real & what is not, I think you could give 1 of these out to even the most WIS type without having to excuse yourself.