When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1665

rolexlover

Very nice. :wub:

I doubt anyone will have a gen lying around (that is not already called for), but this is definitely a case where it is worth the $200-$500 price of admission for a gen. You might try Phong or ebay. Otherwise, go with Clark's Superdome, which is so close you would not know the difference if you did not know the difference.

Wow quite a watch!

Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like surface scratches only which would likely buff out fine. I'd check out VRF for a gen, the prices have come down lately. I agree with Freddy -it's worth it to replace with a gen crystal for such a rare watch.

Wow, what a watch. Sadly the case is used up quite well, but it was a watch worn daily probalby - so what. FYI this is a genuine Mark II DRSD. Very hard to find - it has the typical chocolate dial - do not hand this to Rolex as they might just change the dial and hands and might even isntall an exchange case - that would ruin the watch. Stick to it and try find somebody who will service the movement, get a new glass or polish the old one and have some expert do a *slight* case refinish* - maybe something can still be done with this rather thin case.

Like Rolex001 says!

Do not send that watch under any circumstances to Rolex Service Center.

It will come back as a great white with the latest modern parts including crystal, crown and tube, dial, and over polished case and bracelet.

In some parts of the world (in mine for sure) you do not even have the choice.

My AD send the watch to Rolex with my desires but it could aswell come back completely new.

In the case of your DRSD you should opt for a restorer, not an AD.

Lovely watch, although I am not into Rolex at all I can really appreciate the history of this one. My local Rolex AD is also a Rolex service centre where you can actually talk to the guy who will be working on your watch. Surely the same facilities are available elsewhere, meaning that you would be able to have it serviced by a Rolex centre, with the usual warranty etc, and still have control over what actually happens to your watch.

Lovely watch, although I am not into Rolex at all I can really appreciate the history of this one. My local Rolex AD is also a Rolex service centre where you can actually talk to the guy who will be working on your watch. Surely the same facilities are available elsewhere, meaning that you would be able to have it serviced by a Rolex centre, with the usual warranty etc, and still have control over what actually happens to your watch.

Great to hear.

I would seriously consider coming to Ireland to have one of mine serviced!

Here in the Benelux it is not possible at all.

It's not necessarily true that it would come back as a GW with lumi dial. In very rare cases they keep the dial and only change the hands. But if there is just one bit of Tritium coming off the dial - they'd change it. But then again, there's not only GW service dials, there are to date three versions of the red service dial - the latest looking pretty funny, having a coronet like the DSSD. But still, I wouldn't risk such a nice Chocolate dial for RSC service. One thing for sure though, nobody wil do an as good job to the case as will Rolex do - Rolex Bexley looks the best IMHO, afterwards Geneve and Cologne. But with turnaround times of more than 5-6 months lately - it's a pain!

There is ONE person I would trust my DRSD to... Ziggy. And it's worth the trip to hand deliver the watch to him.

Ordinarily, I would ditto Nanuq here, but for a watch like this (assuming it is 100% gen, which I have no reason to believe is not the case), I think it would be useful to have had it pass through the official Rolex system, if for no other reason than to provide some degree of supplemental provenance. However, having said that, on the other hand, Rolex service centers (all of them, to some degree) are notoriously unreliable with collectible vintage pieces like this. So, instead of shipping (or having a local AD ship) the watch to Rolex, I would hand-carry it in & ask to speak with someone in management about exactly what you have, what work you want done & what work you DO NOT want done. Also, make it clear that you want ALL visible components that are replaced returned to you.

Finally, make sure you get everything detailed in writing. Again, in detail. DO NOT assume anything! If you want the minute hand replaced, but not the hour totalizer hand, make that clear. If you want the tip of the chrono seconds hand painted, but the rest of the arm wand left as bare metal, make that clear as well. If you are very specific & confident that you & the Rolex manager are on the exact same page, you should not have any problems.