When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PT/wm9 sub vs MBK/Euromariner side by side

bklm1234

I just received a PT (wm9) sub that a member sent to me to mod. I was able to take some side-by-side pics with the MBK/Euromariner m serial (serial no: m845633) sub.

MBK on top, PT on the bottom

2008-10-26017.jpg

PT case is thicker, so is the bezel. The lugs have different shape too.

2008-10-26002.jpg

2008-10-26004.jpg

MBK on the right, PT on the left, the PT looks thicker:

2008-10-26009.jpg

MBK on the left, PT on the right:

2008-10-26011.jpg

I said before I had problem getting the insert in the bezel on the MBK. I had to shave the top of the retaining ring because it's blocking the insert from going in. After that, the insert snapped in perfectly. But the real problem is the bezel being a little too thin. So insert sits lower than it's supposed to. The result is the crystal becomes too high above the insert. The PT crystal is perfect, not too tall, not too short above the insert. The PT insert came nicely recessed in the bezel without mod. I surely can tell the PT bezel is thicker. So no issue of insert not going in the bezel.

Right is PT, left is MBK

2008-10-26012.jpg

Right is MBK, left is PT

2008-10-26013.jpg

WM9 George said the PT sub is the 100 initial, unfinished wm9 v2 subs. He'd better be right 'cause I'm carrying the wm9 v2 subs. I don't want to have to deal with the bezel/retaining ring issue and I definitely like the thicker case and bezel.

-bk

Edited by bklm1234

Hey bk,

nice comparison thanks for posting. A thicker case is interesting but of course it depends if it matches the gen. can you measure them both and post it here. Then can someone give an accurate measurement of a gen case and then we can see how they compare.

I have just finished my LV Euromariner and having handled a few gens the case doesn't seem too thin but you never know without side-by-side comparisons.

Cheers

P.

WM9 George said the PT sub is the 100 initial, unfinished wm9 v2 subs. He'd better be right 'cause I'm carrying the wm9 v2 subs. I don't want to have to deal with the bezel/retaining ring issue and I definitely like the thicker case and bezel.

-bk

Thanks for the comparison!! ...sounds strange to me having to give faith to the words of George, but come to think that the source-factory has been found from our dealer PT and this for me is the fact. Well when this will be improvements on the market we will have one of this so called wm9v2 without the George overpriced!!

Genuine:

Case Diameter With Crown: 44.5 mm

Bezel Diameter: 40mm

Bezel Diameter Internal: 37mm

Bezel Thickness: 2,8mm

Crystal Diameter: 30mm

Lug to Lug: 47,6 mm

Spring Bar: 20 mm

Thickness of links: 3 mm

Thickness of case with crystal and caseback: 13mm

Crown diameter: 4/7mm

bein0.jpg

@tribal: based on the markings, MBK=Euromariner v2, same serial no. m845633. PT <> MBK/Euromariner v2, that's for sure. PT ?= wm9. We don't have to believe George. I will soon get the wm9 v2. I'll take pics and measurements.

@MAHLER: has the source of wm9 subs been found or is it only these 100 initial unfinished wm9 v2's that are available outside of wm9? Time will tell. What's important is the price has come to a reasonable rate. $345 for the PT which is the typical good old MBW price. Or $530 for the wm9 v2 with superlume dial and hands, which is supposed to NOT need mods. That's good enough, isn't it? We don't have to like George. But we want his watches.

It's important to know MBK/Euromariner is MBK/Euromariner, wm9 is wm9. Different people want different things. Even gen has different cases like kelster says. Some may like the thinner case. Hey some may even like the crystal sticking high above the insert like on the MBK. BTW, this MBK has the Clark crystal installed.

-bk

Edited by bklm1234