When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What have i gone and done!

Dizzy

Well i've finally taken the plunge... bought a used DW daytona today.. sourcing a bracelet.. gen crown, tube, pushers, crystal etc for now... then the V23 movement later... its the mystery movement case. Its been serviced and runs good apparently so thats a bonus for now..

I'm starting to comb the rolex sections here and RWI so get ready for the questions guys!!!

LOL

:p

I don't know nothing about Rolex, but I want to wish you luck with your project...I am in the middle of one project - a vintage Panerai...

projects are exciting...the harder is it is to accomplish it, the better it is....it gives you more pleasure in the end....And I like challenge!

keep us updated (even if I don't like Rolex at all - I like seeing projects like this completed)

Just get out your checkbook, Dizzy! Actually the v23 option should be quite a bit less expensive than than the v72 route- you can still find those on ebay in the $500 range last time I looked, but a service will run around $300 still. V72's are hard to find for under $1K these days- too many people like us building Daytonas! Good luck.

I like Vj 72 case because of the thicker lugs..

As one who has handled and photographed many DW cases, I can tell you that there is no correlation between lug thickness and VJ23 vs. VJ72. The lug thickness varies from case to case, and even from left to right! :rolleyes:

Yup, the difference in the lug width is obvious...And I could show you pictures which are exactly the opposite. There are certain QC tolerance issues on all DW cases, and the lug width is one of them.

DW is 1 of the more senior & respected collectors & he has (what I consider to be) the best case kits for vintage 62xx Daytonas.

Since DW, a number of others have appeared on the scene with similar Daytona case kits of varying qualities, with none being any better than DW's. You buy a kit, locate & purchase a vintage Valjoux 72 or 23 watch/movement (ebay or elsewhere) & roll your own (or hire a watchmaker to do the rolling for you).

There is more than sufficient information about DW watches that you can find via the Search. You can find his website here.