When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Come Fly With Me

freddy333

UPDATE

After completing my initial 6542 GMT Master project (not to mention a minor Ofrei-related setback), I have begun work on the 2nd & final phase, the goal of which is to replace the existing 1675 dial & modified 'slow beat' ETA 2846 motor with a proper 6542 dial & Rolex 1030-to-1036 GMT conversion calibre. The base 1030 is now complete (or will be after I wipe off the Moebius I just dripped all over its pillar as I was setting up to shoot these pics :bangin: )

1030dial0081.jpg

1030dial0021.jpg

(The damaged screw heads came that way & are NOT my work)

This is base 1030, 6542 dial & gen seconds hand as God (& Rolex) intended

1030dial20021.jpg

Watch the movie (if you turn the volume up, you can hear it tick).

I think they will look right at home in this dandy carrying case

brevetfitting0331.jpg

The 1st set of (1035) date change components should arrive in the next day or 2. However, the remaining 14 date change & (1036) GMT components required to complete the 1030's conversion to GMT spec remain yet to be found & may take some time. So, unless I get very lucky, completion of the final phase of this project could take a considerable amount of time. But, like they say, slow & steady wins the race.

This is looking Fantastic, nice work Freddy

Envious indeed

ST4

Whaw this is going to be some incredible super franken.

Converting from a base 1030 to a GMT is certanly very chalenging, and as you say a matter of patience, but what an achivement when it'will be finally done !

And as your "waiting" watch is allready a stuner, you can easily wait and see.

Great project Freddy.

Love going along for the ride with you via your posts :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wow. WOW. Some day I hope to have the skills to do something like this...until then, I'll live vicariously through skilled folks like you.

Thanks, all, for the encouragement. I just hope I will be able to source all of the parts. This would have been so much easier had I not ended up getting the short end of the stick on the 1036 deal with Ofrei. :(

Thanks, all, for the encouragement. I just hope I will be able to source all of the parts. This would have been so much easier had I not ended up getting the short end of the stick on the 1036 deal with Ofrei. sad.gif

Yes but look at it this way....

The thrill is in the hunt B)

I guess if I had not already found & purchased everything from Ofrei, I would be enjoying the ride alot more. But knowing that this will be, by far, the most difficult hunt yet, the thrill of the chase for this particular beast has soured a bit. But, on the other hand, being able to wear any number of beautiful timepieces that resulted from previous sojourns seems pretty good consolation during this 1.

Freddy, best of luck to you on your search. What you've got so far is looking good. Patience and persistence will prevail. It took me over four years to cobble together my 1675. The genuine case came first, then a bad re-dial, then aftermarket hands, then an aftermarket bezel assbly and finally a genuine 1565 GMT movement. After four years of collecting parts when I found them at the right price I ended up with a decent gmt with only about $1450 invested. The dial and hands do suck, but will get replaced one of these days.

IMG_0357.jpg

P.S. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Thanks, RG.

Actually, I replaced a couple of the screws with better 1s. It looked even worse when I received it. But you know how frustrating these things can get sometimes & everyone has a different tolerance level for dealing with them. And add in the bottom-line 'just get it done' mentality that pervades businesses these days & I guess you have to expect to end up with a movement that looks like it has been 'worked over'.

However, this is also a good example of why people are wrong to think that only Rolex or a large AD can properly service an expensive watch when quite the contrary is often the case. To a professional, this is just another job to get done as cheaply & quickly as possible. But, to a hobbyist, the same work is often treated as a labor of love, where getting the job done right takes precedence over the bottom line. Of course, you cannot really make a full-time living in today's marketplace with that approach, but it works for us.

You kill me, Freddy. Absolutely beautiful, as usual. One of these days, I'll get around to a similar GMT project I have in mind... Until then.... children to feed, business to run, house to build...ah well.

Fantastic work Freddy (as always), this is going to be a real looker with the gilt dial. Of course, if it were me, I'd be tempted to get a custom made white GMT dial made for this and have a "GMT a la Pan-Am" ;) . Thanks so much for sharing these photos.

Cheers B)

Thanks, guys.

I did consider going white, but I was unable to locate a dial that I felt was accurate enough to match the rest of the watch & so decided to stick with the 'common' black dial. But it will take some time to source all of the remaining 1036 gmt movement parts, so I will keep my options open.

As always you are pushing the envelope. Completely stunning in concept and execution. Another great piece is (nearly) born. Wonderful.

Not sure that 'nearly' is the right way to describe the status of this phase of the project (it may take awhile to source all of the needed date & gmt components for the conversion), but I appreciate the kind words.

• 4 weeks later...