When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Funky MBW 1680 bezel

jjfesq

I just bought a MBW 1680 from another member, The bezel does not click and does not want to turn but will turn in both directions with alot of effort. How is it supposed to function, my old 16613 was a unidirectional that clicked.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Here is the watch if anyone wants to see:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=85544

also Im thinking of upgrading this watch and was going to start with a gen 127crystal, Is it worth the $ or go with a clarks?

any other upgrade ideas?

thanks

JOHN

John,

The vintage sub bezels are bi-directional and do not click, it's constructed just like the genuine. You might need to adjust the tension spring (looks like a flat metal washer). The tension spring may be bent a little or there may be some dirt or gunk on the the spring that is not allowing it to turn freely. You can pop the bezel off with a credit card by wedging it between the case and bezel and pry it up -a butter knife with some tape around it so you don't scratch the case will also work. Often turning the spring upside down and snapping the bezel back on will do the trick too.

You can find a gen non-beveled edge T127 for $70-$100 if you look around. A worth while investment IMO. The Clarks 127 is the bevel edge crystal and will look like the one already mounted on it.

You've got a nice piece there!

The gen inserts can be pressed in with a crystal press w/o glue. But you might want to use glue to keep yours in- contact cement or rubber cement are ok and easy to remove should you need to. GS Hypocement is also a possibility, but it has failed on me a couple of times. I only use epoxy as a last resort. It never hurts to glue the insert into the bezel first and then after it has dried press the assembly back on the watch- this way you don't glue the insert and bezel to the case.

@Alligoat does that mean that you can lift the bezel of with a credit card , but you need a crystal press to put the bezel back on ??

I always thought it was an easy fix to sand down the insert and put it back int he bezle and press the bezel on with your fingers.

Carpe Diem

Cats

I agree with Tribal. If the insert is a gen or PMWF, it will snap into place by hand (without the need for any glue or cement). Press it in at 1 point & then work your way around until the entire insert is seated. If you have the PMWF insert, you will need to place the thin, flat metal spacer (that came with the PMWF insert) in 1st (sandwiched in between the bezel & insert) & then install the insert on top of that. You should then be able to press the bezel/insert assembly back on by hand, again, starting at a single point & then working your way around the bezel until it snaps into place. You do not need & I would not use a press to install the bezel. (If the insert pops out as you are reinstalling the bezel, you can easily reinstall the insert after the bezel is back in place. Regardless of whether you install the insert with the bezel on the watch or off, the process is the same.