When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Saigon

flex

Vietnam is a place I alwyas think about visiting - just recently i had the oppoutinty of visiting Vietnam for the first time..Some of the pics in vietnam were borrowed to make this thread more interesting, but they are relevant to our hobby.

City of Bicycle...

IMG_1091.jpg

Coffee filter at US$1

IMG_1115.jpg

the better (franken) vintage timepieces e.g. Rolex are located in District 1

IMG_1108.jpg

Just like geninue watches, anything with 'Rolex' will demand a high price tag...

I think all of you know, just to make sure we are clear - these are franken not geninue... but they will tell you they are geninue Rolex left by the american army :p

they will also show you pages of the japanese magazines to make you believe they are the real deal <_< most Rolex franken watches I see they ask for 2-3.5K whereas for

Bich Lien has some interesting pieces (Blancpain Fifty Phantom, Omega S300, Jaeger Le Coultre, Vintage militay omega range from $250-$450)

IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Minh Quy

103 Dong Khoi Ward Ben Nghe Dist 1

Everyone has heard or mentioned about the great Minh Quy...

IMG_1103-1.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

They have a small selection of vintage rolexes.. you will have to talk to them first and build some relationship before asking for parts. otherwise they will just tell you they sell all real rolex left by ar-maria-cun so-chers. I found that most of the things I want (ie 1655 + case dial hands, 1680) they can somehow source them or pick up the next day.. case set cost around 450-650 depending on the model.. (I was lucky to have a local friend who can translate for me and do most of the talking)...

Hi Laz

yes... there are many.. they are around $350. ONe shop I saw they were selling at $250 a piece. apparently there were two types: one with bigger bezel, one with the normal size bezel. both have no date.

Flex

Nice looking trip im sure u enjoying it!

Seen any vintage 50 phatoms around there?

Laz

Ben Thanh market (or also known as Saigon Market)

The shops carry the chinese reps e.g. Pam, Rolex, Frank muller, basically what we see in cartel. interestingly, they can also show you their better pieces (around 300-400$) when asked. They claim that the better ones have Rado movement :p

BENTHANH.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

some local dishes (live band)

IMG_1083.jpgIMG_1081.jpgIMG_1080.jpgIMG_1079.jpgIMG_1075.jpgIMG_1074.jpg

Some resturants i have been i think they are quite good are:

Local Vietnamese Foods

Vietnam House

93-95 Dong Khoi 1, Q1

(08) 829-1623

Nam Kha

46-48 Dong Khoi, Q1

(08) 823-8310

Dong Qu (try flaming coconut chicken)

57 Dong Qu, Q1

(08) 829-5045

Chinese Foods (quite good, bit expensive)

Crystal Jade Palace (quite famous in Singapore I beleive)

Legend Hotel 2nd Floor, 2A Ton Duc Thang Q1

(08) 827-2387

French

I recommend

Le MeKong

57 Dong Du, Q1

(08) 829-2012

Shopping

Zen Plaza, Diamond Plaza, (for ladies - local fashion) Nguyen Trai , Le Cong Kieu (they sell antiques)...

can always pm or email me for more info.. cheers

It's good to see post about Saigon. I was there early October for mission trip. I had a chance to go Bantham market( night market for tourist as I was told). One store selling replica was really bad. All they had was Canal street stuff. I asked for better PAM. Guy brought out case with some of better watches but still, you get better quality from dealers here. Artkos they had was missing 'N' and didn't know about it. They show me Breitling w/ CN movement telling me it was swiss movement. Price? $600.00 LOL!.

Flex, did you get to see Cu Chi tunnel? I am more sympathetic toward Vietnam war vets now. Thanks for the pics!

Yes Vietnam is the best place to visit for food and site seeing. I was there last year for 3 weeks but did not have interested in the rep.

You should make a trip up north to Hanoi to visit HaLong bay, while you are on the boat you can purchased freshly caught seafood and have

them cook right on the boat for you. Cold Tiger beer is much better than Heniken beer.

Vietnamese hospitality is the best on the world. Enjoy your trip Flex.

Dosanim - thanks, I didn't have time to visit Chu Chi Tunnel, but did visit Hanoi Hilton Prison.

DVN- i had a good time in Hanoi, but I tend to stay away from seafoods when I travel.

thanks everyone for their comments. If you are interested in vintage or military rep, Vietnam is the place.

• 2 years later...