When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In honor of a fallen soldier

Nanuq

There were many whose earthly remains would never return to their Country's Soil.. for ALL we pay tribute

punchbowl2xa8.jpg

punchbowl1av9.jpg

punchbowl3rd5.jpg

Thousands of Men and Women who paid the Ultimate Sacrifice for their Country.. For Us ALL ..

Give Peace a Chance so no more Mothers loose their Sons and Daughters ... my prayer tonight..

IN FLANDERS FIELDS.

In Flanders field the poppies blow

Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

Here here. To anyone in the US fortunate to have enough extra for a bunch of watches, why not skip the next one and give a few bucks to these guys - or someone similar you like better? A lot of people don't give to charities because they think too little won't help. Not true. Even a couple hundred can go to great use for someone in need...

http://www.dav.org/donations/

I would have normaly posted somthing yesterday but i was a bit busy, Most of you will never know how goot it feels to see the growing appeciation of the comon soldier that we see these days, 10 yeas ago if you went to rememberance service in the Uk there would be a lot of people but mostly older, the young never realy seamed to care, but what i am seeing today is that the younger generation and infact acros all ages are supporting the soldiers and remembering thost in the past. It makes a great difference to the man inthe field to know that he is thought of now and in the end!

Look at his eyes. Check out the statue I posted. They're the same.

Warriors have seen things that others cannot even imagine. They carry horrors with them so we can be free. For that, we can never give enough thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Andy - I was 12 years in mate, which included many tours of NI, the Falklands and first Gulf War!

Remembrance Day is for those of us that are living to take time out and reflect on the debt of gratitude that we owe those that made the ultimate sacrifice and gave their lives. It is certainly not for those that still have possession of it.

I am quite passionate about this special day having lost friends myself and think that it is very important to remember those that can't be here to have a beer with their mates. I can't quite understand how any serving soldier, airman or matelot could confuse such a day of dedication.

It seems to me that it is a rather sad indictment on the establishment, as it now appears that the ignorance of civilians has spilled over into the Armed Forces.

This distinction needs to be made and reinforced for those that clearly confuse what this day actually means. I am surprised to even be having a "conversation" of this kind with someone that purports to be serving in the military.

This was taken directly from the RBL website;

Remembrance Sunday is the day traditionally put aside to remember all those who have given their lives for the peace and freedom we enjoy today. On this day people across the nation pause to reflect on the sacrifices made by our brave Service men and women.

I am not in any way denigrating the efforts made by our troops and those of our allies, in fact I am actively involved in a veterans' association, but feel that this attempt at hijacking Remembrance Day whether through ignorance or other reasons should not go un-noticed or un-remarked upon so that the record is set straight by someone who knows and has been there, got the T-shirt, the books, the DVD and the medals to prove it.

And for the record I am not trying to make this a "my [censored]'s bigger than yours" contest - I just feel that it should be highlighted so that the meaning and reason is not lost.

I would have normaly posted somthing yesterday but i was a bit busy, Most of you will never know how goot it feels to see the growing appeciation of the comon soldier that we see these days, 10 yeas ago if you went to rememberance service in the Uk there would be a lot of people but mostly older, the young never realy seamed to care, but what i am seeing today is that the younger generation and infact acros all ages are supporting the soldiers and remembering thost in the past. It makes a great difference to the man inthe field to know that he is thought of now and in the end!

if that were just the case in my country... not only do you always have the DA behind you, but most people don't respect solders in any way.

In america, random people will come up to you and greet you, if you wear a uniform. They'd offer you a beer on the house or salute.

Over here I have heared things like "murderer" when I went shopping in Uniform! Even the police doesn't have the tinniest bit of respect. You figure they should treat you like colleagues, but it's more like they treat you like some sort of enemy.

I really don't have the feeling we are respected here. Those who appear to respect us, seem more scared of our appearance than having actual respect for what we do and what we stand for.

Noone thinks about the fact, that most soldiers have to move frequently and are seperated from their families from monday-friday, because they simply live so far away. In my unit, out of 120, there were maybe 10 that had their families close by, the rest either didnt have a family or could only see them during the weekend.