When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Steppping out of my comfort zone...

RWG Technical

Well I am not sure if I am Brave or Stupid... I think my mind is where the reluctance lies, thinking I will look like a fool.

I already considered some of the advice, especially "don't get caught gawking at the other women..." that is always a risk.

The lessons are called Social Dance and cover a number of types, Jive, Swing, etc, so it should be entertaining. I am sure that by the end of the evening I'll have it all analyzed so it fits into my way of thinking.

Maybe next time I am in NYC Kruzer and I can show off our stuff :)

All I keep singning to myself is Frank Zappa's DANCING FOOL, god I hope they have a Disco ball...

RG

Best of luck good sir.

My wife studied ballet for the better part of 20 years, loves dancing and is very very good at it. I have been a bit of a daredevil my entire life enjoying activites as BMX, downhill mountain biking, 'extreme' sking, bungee jumping, extremely spicey food, etc etc etc, I love all of it and have a few trophies and scars to show for it. I love my wife with a passion that I never thought possible. she is the single most amazing woman I have ever known, and I would do nearly anything for her.

Having said this, she could never ever ever talk me into taking dance lessions.

I barely made it through our dance at our wedding. I have never been a dancer. I am a spectator. Me and the dance floor are oil and water.

my wife is beautiful and graceful, and while I am 'dancing' I am a train wreck. As a youth I gave it the old college try, but no amount of help short of riding on the back of another dancer would make we look even remotly like a dancer.

I applaud you RG. I wish you the best in this new adventure. Just one last question, what watch are you going to wear to the lesson? maybe we need a weekly wrist check :)

Best regards,

M

I've been taking lessons, with my new wife, for the last several months (I have another one Wednesday). I, too, was very nervous in the beginning, but, much to my surprise, I actually liked it! The main thing that freaked me out was how overly friendly everyone was. It took me a while to get used to that.

My advice:

Wear plenty of deodorant, and take a breath mint before going in.

It's really not bad at all, I think you'll enjoy it, have fun!!

R,

Everyone one needs a little time outside their comfort zone. Look on the bright side; you will be stepping out with your lady.

You are certainly someone who takes the job at hand seriously. This shows in your painting and with every watch you painstakingly care for. This dancing thing will be a piece of cake for you. As others have said; relax and have fun.

Well I made it through the lesson, that was the fastest hour of my life.

It took me a while to feel comfortable, but looking aroung no one (including my dance partner) was doing any better than I was, we were all struggling to learn the steps and build on the routine.

Amazingly, I really ENJOYED myself and it was great fun. I actually realize that given the right circumstances and instruction, I can actually move my feet the way they should to the music. Amazing.

We just touched on the basics of the Cha Cha, but went so far as to doing the twirlly thing with your partner, it was great.

Looking forward to practicing and learning more.

RG

Yes taking the first step is quite appropriate in this case.

This session lasts 6 weeks, with lessons every monday night.

In Jan they have more sessions on various dances, given the long depressing dark and cold winters, I think this is a great way to uplift your spirit and feel better.

Updates to come as I progress...

RG

Best of luck good sir.

My wife studied ballet for the better part of 20 years, loves dancing and is very very good at it. I have been a bit of a daredevil my entire life enjoying activites as BMX, downhill mountain biking, 'extreme' sking, bungee jumping, extremely spicey food, etc etc etc, I love all of it and have a few trophies and scars to show for it. I love my wife with a passion that I never thought possible. she is the single most amazing woman I have ever known, and I would do nearly anything for her.

Having said this, she could never ever ever talk me into taking dance lessions.

LOL! I can't help laughing! What is your definition of spicy (if I may go off on a tangent for a second)? I eat spicy food everyday... it's normal for me to get 10-12 red or green chillis and chop it up and put it in my food. Today I had lots of tabasco sauce at lunchtime along with some kofte kebab/meatballs and rice, but the tabasco sauce isn't spicy at all (to me), it's more for the flavour, even though I doused the rice with it :tu:

Back to dancing... the trick is not to worry about how you look...there's always someone worse than you. If you are worried, just copy what the next guy is doing and you won't stand out. I am the most self-conscious shy guy you'll ever meet, but come to a club, I love to get on a dance floor (and I don't need a drink)... it's just fun... I was a basketballer and saw it as more exercise, which I always love... and then when it comes to grinding...... well I'll leave it at that :p

RG - you'll do fine, just enjoy it (sounds like you already are). And hopefully it doesn't happen, but if you are (for whatever reason) single again, dancing and dance classes are an easy way to meet a woman. :tu: (as long as you aren't super-shy like me of course!)

Edited by Chronus

Yes taking the first step is quite appropriate in this case.

This session lasts 6 weeks, with lessons every monday night.

In Jan they have more sessions on various dances, given the long depressing dark and cold winters, I think this is a great way to uplift your spirit and feel better.

Updates to come as I progress...

RG

Any physical activity will release endorphins and make you feel good.

Once you get confident, try a little salsa, the buzz from nailing a complex move or with a bunch of spins is just great :D

And don't forget it's good exercise too :tu:

Edited by Chronus

@RG congrats on making it through night one. Im glad you had fun.

@Chronus, for some reason, depending on the dish, I dont feel right if I am not sweating from what I am eating. I like pretty hot, but I prefer complex heat if you know what I mean.

I hate one note spicey dishes. I dont use much tabasco, the levels of vinagar to spice arent right for me. I like franks redhot or texas petes as a hot sauce to put on anything save dessert. for next level I have some scotch bonnet sauces from the carribean I use. those will make you sweat. I have some synthetic hot sauces that people get me as gag gifts that are like 1 million scoville units. stupid hot stuff that just makes your body want to vomit. my favorite all time spicy additive came from a coworkers grandmother in India. their family makes it once a year. Its a red powder with 14 ingrediants. you are supposed to add it to yogurt or milk to make a marinade for chicken, but i just coat the meat with it and steam or grill it. If I had some extra I would send it. it have like 4 clear spicy notes. its pure genius. I asked to buy the recipe, but they said its for family only. I hope my coworker never leaves... I dont know if I could go without it...

@RG congrats on making it through night one. Im glad you had fun.

@Chronus, for some reason, depending on the dish, I dont feel right if I am not sweating from what I am eating. I like pretty hot, but I prefer complex heat if you know what I mean.

I hate one note spicey dishes. I dont use much tabasco, the levels of vinagar to spice arent right for me. I like franks redhot or texas petes as a hot sauce to put on anything save dessert. for next level I have some scotch bonnet sauces from the carribean I use. those will make you sweat. I have some synthetic hot sauces that people get me as gag gifts that are like 1 million scoville units. stupid hot stuff that just makes your body want to vomit. my favorite all time spicy additive came from a coworkers grandmother in India. their family makes it once a year. Its a red powder with 14 ingrediants. you are supposed to add it to yogurt or milk to make a marinade for chicken, but i just coat the meat with it and steam or grill it. If I had some extra I would send it. it have like 4 clear spicy notes. its pure genius. I asked to buy the recipe, but they said its for family only. I hope my coworker never leaves... I dont know if I could go without it...

There have been a couple of times I couldn't wolf down the food as I normally would. One was a lamb phall curry for the first time in Brick Lane.. that one had me pausing between spoonfuls and savouring the rarely intense burning sensation in the mouth. There was an Austrian guy who took a pinch of the gravy and his face went red lol.

The other time was some special chilli my mother got. I think it originates from Bangladesh. I could take a pinch and it would burn my mouth. She wouldn't tell me where it came from so I couldn't buy any more. She's always saying I'll get an ulcer.

A cheap substitute is Encona Extra Hot Pepper sauce... but I go through half a bottle or more just to get a mild kick :(

I think I tried those Caribbean peppers before.. they were nice :) I think I prefer chillis to get the sting though, peppers don't quite get me as much or taste the same :tu:

That's great The Zigmeister. My parents are big time dancers...as is their entire social circle. And watching my father take on a hobby like this is great considering it, like you, is so out of his comfort zone.

I took a series of classes in university and it was a blast. You can't take it or yourself too seriously. Lindy hopping is great fun!