When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Confessions Of A Replica Addict

Guest overboosted

Guest overboosted

Well, here I am. 10 months and some 80+ watches later. Let’s go back a minute here. I bought my first replica watch while in Chinatown NYC about 5 years ago. At the time I only owned one watch, wait a minute, back a bit further. My first watch was a gold Gucci I bought when I was 18 (I am 29 now) with a jewelry store credit card whose ink was still drying. It all started there. Spending lots of money that I didn’t have. It’s been a problem I’d say ever since I was eligible for credit. I was on the road to success, accepted to MIT, but decided I was sick of school. Scored a 99 on the ASVABs so I looked at joining the NAVY to be a nuclear scientist, but nah, too boring and waaay to much book time. Decided to go the fun route and joined the Army as a 97Bravo, Counter Intelligence Agent. I thought it was cool that they could tell me the job title but couldn’t tell me what I would be doing when I signed up. I could write a whole book on my experiences in there but it would probably get me “lost”. So I did that for 6 years and anybody in the armed forces can tell you it’s no place to be if you like to spend money. Luckily my career path has taken turns for the better since then. Now I can afford to spend some change here and there so I am not in too much trouble these days. Anyway, back to NYC 5 years ago. I was in town with my sisters and girlfriend at the time (now wifey) for some shopping. I had been up the previous month to have work done on my 94 Supra Turbo at a big name Supra tuner in Queens. Upon return my sisters were surprised I drove around in Manhattan and survived. I didn’t think it was a big deal, at least on a Saturday, and told them I would drive them up sometime so they could shop. We drove up on a Saturday morning and they did their thing and I followed and we ended up in Chinatown. I saw watches everywhere and was instantly intrigued. I spotted a few cool ones that really caught my eye and bought them instantly for about $40 each. One was a Lange and the other a Vacheron. Still today they are decent reps, even still running accurately. They are not really physically accurate, but nice watches overall. The Lange is a “tourbillion” ;) and the Vacheron is a “perpetual” calendar type. Both have “moon phase”, more like day night indicator I guess, which is why I bought them. I thought that looked really cool on a watch.

So four years go by and I acquire a few watches here and there. A neat Swatch quartz chrono made of aluminum and a Tommy Hilfiger watch I received as a Christmas gift from my Dad. Then one day I realize that for the past six or seven years I have spent countless time and money buying anything and everything off of the internet and I bet you can get fake watches from there too. So the search begins.

I found a few sites selling cool Lange and Vacheron watches. These were the two brands that really interested me at the time. They accepted credit cards and seemed pretty trustworthy. I figured if they screwed me over I could file a chargeback claim. So I order a Lange with all kinds of complications and stuff for around $250 and the wait begins. Somewhere between ordering and receiving that first watch I stumbled upon the old RWG. I registered and started reading. I was like a little kid in a toy store. All these cool replica watches. I saw many that I liked but was confused how to buy any. Who the hell is Joshua? And Andrew? Who is this Elvis looking guy on a motorbike? Ah, to be a newbie. After much reading I started to figure out the game and matched up what people where calling dealers with their actual user names. So I sent a PM to Joshua about a Lange flyback chrono with a Swiss movement. I was amazed that you could get these things with Swiss movements. He told me the price and I sent the funds and wait number two began.

So after three weeks or so of waiting for the Lange from the replica site, it finally comes. It was a decent looking rep at first glance. It had 3 or 4 different “QC Passed” stickers on it which I thought was funny. But after being exposed to the two Holy Grails of rep watches, RWG and TRC, I found it was not a watch I wanted and there were many more that I liked much better. So I ended up selling it for a huge loss on the boards. I received my Lange flyback from Joshua later that week and instantly was hooked.

Over the next month or two I was buying 2-3 reps a week, mainly Asian auto stuff from the like of Lange, Patek, Vacheron, JLC. I tried out just about all the main dealers that could be found on the two boards. I remember seeing all this chatter about PAMs. I was like, who the hell likes those ugly things and who is this Pam chick? Then, when in Serbia for work reasons I picked up a cheapo Panerai rep. It was a cross between a 111 and a 112. Asian auto, razor thin crown, pure garbage. But it started a revolution in my collection. Upon returning from Eastern Europe I ordered a Swiss 111F from River cause he was selling them for next to nothing. After it came I was in love. I then kept ordering PAMs and even tried a Rolex. Once again, I was in love. So I bought, bought, sold, bought, etc. I am guessing I have had 80-100 different reps in my possession over the last 10 months, never having more than 35 at a time though. My taste would constantly change, new revs come out, get tired of seeing 35 watches sit around, you probably know the feeling.

So in between spending a small fortune on what others may see and worthless knockoffs, I learned a ton about replica watches, watches in general, China, and even met some cool people. I have pretty much made this my new home, spending a good bit of my time on here or one of the other rep boards. I have been a member of other forums in the past. Some for car stuff, some for other hobbies, and some for work related stuff. And I have to admit this place is something special. A very warm community vibe going on here, with a very diverse population, aside from the 3000 to 1 male female ratio. Not trying to get all mushy here, just kinda giving props to all that contribute here and the other places. I have learned a lot, got some really awesome watches and met some cool people. And I must thank the great Admin Admin, and the chosen few that started this board after the fiasco of the old RWG. Not that there was anything wrong with TRC, or WT, or even RWI. But nobody seemed to want to migrate to them, so now we are all here. At least the important people are ;)

've been checking out some stuff on the pyschology of collecting (in general) - most of it seems rubbish, but something must drive it all. Question is: what?!

Buying pretties releases endorphines.

Well, here I am. 10 months and some 80+ watches later.

Great post. Most entertaining. :D

I had been up the previous month to have work done on my 94 Supra Turbo at a big name Supra tuner in Queens.

Hmmmm.. Vinny Ten/PF?

Wasn't he busted for running a chop shop on the side? It's been a long time since my tuning days, but I seem to recall him as being the only tuner on the 2JZ in NYC...?

Guest overboosted
Hmmmm.. Vinny Ten/PF?

Wasn't he busted for running a chop shop on the side? It's been a long time since my tuning days, but I seem to recall him as being the only tuner on the 2JZ in NYC...?

You got it. This was 4-5 years ago before the rumors started. They were super nice, but he was a bit shady. Wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I too have been out of that game for a while. Out of curiosity, what cars were you into? I have the Supra, just BPU stuff, 410HP to the rear whells, then a high 10 second AWD 95 Eclipse after that.

Everyone else, thanks for the kind words!

You got it. This was 4-5 years ago before the rumors started. They were super nice, but he was a bit shady. Wouldn't surprise me if it was true. I too have been out of that game for a while. Out of curiosity, what cars were you into? I have the Supra, just BPU stuff, 410HP to the rear whells, then a high 10 second AWD 95 Eclipse after that.

Everyone else, thanks for the kind words!

Was always into the usual back then... The EG's with the B series motor swaps, then got into some MR2's and the sort. Never really went for high HP... Mostly just liked a clean, mildly tuned and tweaked car. These days I'm into the Germans... And my son is the resident gear head. Here he is, helping a very good friend of mine dial in his Z32 TT...

89510-28606.jpg

89510-28607.jpg

Last week he got to sit in his first Ferrari- An F355, red on tan. He seems to have developed a taste for the expensive stuff as of late :blink:

Great to have you here Overboosted... I have always enjoyed your posts.. and sales.. :D

I have a similar experience with closing to over 100 watches so far..but having boiled down

my collection to my personal best, top ten.. and now am taking a break until something really

outstanding wanders into our orbit...

Are you also getting to a point of an eclipse in your buying ?

Has your experience showed you exactly your personal style in watches ?

Mine has.. and what a valuable experience it has been....

If I ever do become a zillion-aire... I will know exactly what to purchase

without the slightest bit of buyers remorse... ^_^

Great Post Overboosted . . . :3a:

Similar situation here. I've always loved watches and mechanics so when I bought my first Mechanical watch it was all over (Or all starting, depending on how you look at it!) My first fake was a (Quite bad) Sub from a pawn shop in hollywood, then off of fakes to affordable autos (Seikos etc). I spent many days longing for fakes with the quality of Seikos, so finding RWG1 and the dealers here was a glorious occasion. It's funny to see that quite a few of us are in a buying lul just waiting for *something*. I think what I'm waiting for is a really good AP . . .

P.S. I could watch that diving bum avitar for hours . . .

Great to have you here Overboosted... I have always enjoyed your posts.. and sales.. :D

I have a similar experience with closing to over 100 watches so far..but having boiled down

my collection to my personal best, top ten.. and now am taking a break until something really

outstanding wanders into our orbit...

Are you also getting to a point of an eclipse in your buying ?

Has your experience showed you exactly your personal style in watches ?

Mine has.. and what a valuable experience it has been....

If I ever do become a zillion-aire... I will know exactly what to purchase

without the slightest bit of buyers remorse... ^_^

Great post, overboosted.

I have basically the same story to tell, as do many of us here. We all spend too much time here. My only problem is I very rarely sell any of mine, So I've got watch boxes filled. Current count is about 70.

What a wonderful addiction!