When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silver Spoons, Outhouses, and Rock & Roll

RobbieG

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez Robert. You and I are like studying for our SAT's again. Words are fun though. And yes, my wit is without a doubt quite virulent. As is yours my friend and I appreciate that very much. All in good fun... :D

"... All in good fun".

Absolutely! I raise my glass and nod my head in your general direction...

Robert enjoying Single Malts as much as wine in SoCal

Good thing I don't live in Hollywood huh? And back to a bit of seriousness concerning the OP...

I suspect even in So Cal it is no different in that you need friends in high places to keep stuff like that in check.

Robbie, you still didn't get it?

FYI - I have friends, who can fire the mayor of Los Angeles, if needed, trust me, it's not a bragging.

I'm talking about RESPECT to police officers. If I'm stopped- I can make phone call right on his eyes, and give him my mobile to talk to my friend, and he'll be sweating for a week. But again - I just respect people who protecting me, if needed, putting their lives in deadly risk for freaking $2500 a month.

I can spend such a money for a good dinner with my chick, if needed, but he going under the bullets sometimes. So, be respectful. Simple.

Yeah I thought I made that clear. I have all the respect in the world for cops, just not that one for two reasons. Remember, I KNOW the guy. First, he was well aware I was joking with him and he burned me because of that. He knew damn well I wasn't being disrespectful to him or his department. And second, I know he is a co*k who likes to burn people down and abuse his power - hence what he did to me for just joking with him a little. But I'm really done rehashing all that...

On another note ( no pun intended): You are a guitar maker then (or some other stringed instrument)? What is your specialty. Do it for a living or a hobby?

FYI - I have friends, who can fire the mayor of Los Angeles, if needed, trust me, it's not a bragging.

I'm talking about RESPECT to police officers. If I'm stopped- I can make phone call right on his eyes, and give him my mobile to talk to my friend, and he'll be sweating for a week. But again - I just respect people who protecting me, if needed, putting their lives in deadly risk for freaking $2500 a month.

I can spend such a money for a good dinner with my chick, if needed, but he going under the bullets sometimes. So, be respectful. Simple.

I'm talking about RESPECT to police officers. If I'm stopped- I can make phone call right on his eyes, and give him my mobile to talk to my friend, and he'll be sweating for a week.

As someone who lives in Southern California, I think I should become your best friend.... you know, just in case!

You are a guitar maker then (or some other stringed instrument)? What is your specialty. Do it for a living or a hobby?

Yes, I am, and it's my major occupation. You can see my guitars in the hands of most top musicians and collectors around the World, Robbie.And everyone is welcome to be my friend, I'm quite sarcastic and cynical, but in general I'm very nice man and love my friends like brothers.

Oh, forgot... Keep in mind - English isn't my native lang, I'm ex-European.

Since you are in LA I know who you are now but won't say of course. I used to be quite prominent in the biz actually as a player once upon a time. I have played and owned many fine intruments, but have been partial to those made by a friend who is no doubt the most repected luthier in New England who is partial to a certain amphibian creature...

Yes, I am, and it's my major occupation. You can see my guitars in the hands of most top musicians and collectors around the World, Robbie.And everyone is welcome to be my friend, I'm quite sarcastic and cynical, but in general I'm very nice man and love my friends like brothers.

Oh, forgot... Keep in mind - English isn't my native lang, I'm ex-European.

Since you are in LA I know who you are now but won't say of course. I used to be quite prominent in the biz actually as a player once upon a time. I have played and owned many fine intruments, but have been partial to those made by a friend who is no doubt the most repected luthier in New England who is partial to a certain amphibian creature...

I don't hide my identity, and I know your friend, Robbie.

I'm sure you know me too if you know him given my long history with him, but I have to keep that part of my past a secret. Especially here. Good to be retired from that life though. I had a good run but didn't want to be on the road anymore. I wonder how all the guitar guys do it these days. The venues are smaller and I wonder how they make the numbers work so they can make a profit. It costs so much to be on the road. Even in my day it would take a quarter million bucks just to launch a record at retail and do some basic marketing - listing stations at Border's, promo tours, etc. The biz has changed so much. In my day (although at the tail end) you could still be an instrumentalist and be on a major label as I was and make a good living. You didn't get lynched for only selling a hundred thousand records. Now, if you don't go platinum in a week you are going to get shelved. That is why music is by and large so bad now, IMO. Everything is lowest common denominator. Oh well, I'm glad to see the fine art of luthiery is still alive and well. Nothing like a fine handmade acoustic guitar.

I don't hide my identity, and I know your friend, Robbie.

I'm sure you know me too if you know him given my long history with him, but I have to keep that part of my past a secret. Especially here. Good to be retired from that life though. I had a good run but didn't want to be on the road anymore. I wonder how all the guitar guys do it these days. The venues are smaller and I wonder how they make the numbers work so they can make a profit. It costs so much to be on the road. Even in my day it would take a quarter million bucks just to launch a record at retail and do some basic marketing - listing stations at Border's, promo tours, etc. The biz has changed so much. In my day (although at the tail end) you could still be an instrumentalist and be on a major label as I was and make a good living. You didn't get lynched for only selling a hundred thousand records. Now, if you don't go platinum in a week you are going to get shelved. That is why music is by and large so bad now, IMO. Everything is lowest common denominator. Oh well, I'm glad to see the fine art of luthiery is still alive and well. Nothing like a fine handmade acoustic guitar.

Most of our customers are collectors. Guitars are #3 investment after art and real estate. Most of us are booked for years ahead. People who buy $5,000-$10,000 guitars, don't care economy. They are or stars or rich, or a stars and rich. About 35% of my customers are in Japan and Europe. I go to Japan quite often to meet my clients there. Japanese are obsessed with american guitars, you know it. And damn, they're wealthy...

I know a few luthiers, who charge $25,000+ for a guitar, and they're booked for 5-10 years ahead. But yes, it's hard to get a good wood nowadays, China buying everything by tons and containers. I spent a lot of time in a few huge chinese factories, and I saw wood warehouses size of aviation hangar, full of canadian and german flame maple, african ebony, indian rosewood, european spruces... and they make $100 crappy guitars from it.

What a waste...

I know a few luthiers, who charge $25,000+ for a guitar, and they're booked for 5-10 years ahead. But yes, it's hard to get a good wood nowadays,

Had a chance many years ago to meet Jim Olsen and tour his shop, which at the time was his garage...

Amazing man with an amazing craftsmanship...

Was reminded again a couple of months back when I saw James Taylor live in Washington...

Absolutely wonderful sounding instruments...

Oh, and JT is also quite the Watch collector as well...

Him and part of the band are regulars at Alex's Watchworks in Portland...

Really nice spot with an awesome selection if you ever get the chance to visit...

Double T

Had a chance many years ago to meet Jim Olsen and tour his shop, which at the time was his garage...

Yes, Jim is one of the greatest luthiers alive, and very interesting person.

His guitars are just amazing.

Yeah, Jim is a great guy. I did a project with him many years ago. As for JT, he may be a watch collector, but what a d*ck. Just off the charts on that scale. I hung out with him a bit just outside of Santa Fe while in the midst of another project 10 years or so ago. He lived next door to a house I was staying at and ate lunch almost daily with a whole group of us. He is one of those people that I can honestly say I feel I would have been better off never meeting. That is a short list for me and one has to be a pretty advanced Co*cksucker to make his way onto it. But at least I got the chance to tell him so one day and the group I was with got a good laugh out of it (including some of his friends) so I suppose it was worth knowing him after all.

Was reminded again a couple of months back when I saw James Taylor live in Washington...

Absolutely wonderful sounding instruments...

Oh, and JT is also quite the Watch collector as well...

Him and part of the band are regulars at Alex's Watchworks in Portland...

Really nice spot with an awesome selection if you ever get the chance to visit...

Double T

Yeah, Jim is a great guy. I did a project with him many years ago. As for JT, he may be a watch collector, but what a d*ck. Just off the charts on that scale. I hung out with him a bit just outside of Santa Fe while in the midst of another project 10 years or so ago. He lived next door to a house I was staying at and ate lunch almost daily with a whole group of us. He is one of those people that I can honestly say I feel I would have been better off never meeting. That is a short list for me and one has to be a pretty advanced Co*cksucker to make his way onto it. But at least I got the chance to tell him so one day and the group I was with got a good laugh out of it (including some of his friends) so I suppose it was worth knowing him after all.

That's why Carly divorced him.

Robbie....you don't know me from shinola....but I know you...or rather I've known many like you. (Hell, I was you many years ago...almost to a "T".) And some of them are pushin' up daisies.....as with those they killed with their misplaced "confidence" and smugness on the hiway.

If...IF we are to believe you are who/what you say you are, you have indeed led a charmed life. Let me guess....you were even at Woodstock. No, no....you were the baby born at Woodstock!

Look....whether any of what you have posted is true or false, let's just focus on your own descriptions of yourself and the OP, (not necessary to "quote").

You admit to enjoying breaking the law on a regular basis. You know where the speed limits change yet you refer to the area as a "speed trap". (I'd be willing to bet there is a "Reduced Speed Ahead" sign on that stretch of hiway before the "45" mph sign). Your dry humour is (often) mistaken for sarcasm or you are accused of being a smartass (you even admit to it). You enjoy antagonizing those in law enforcement knowing a small ticket could get "bigger". (This behaviour obviously carries over to your own "friends" and those you interact with.)

No...nevermind...the point is moot. You have decided that you are above the law, rationalizing that by paying the tickets justifies the motive or reason....your blatant stupidity. Sorry, fella, but when someone such as yourself admits to what you have admitted to....there can be only one reason...stupidity. There's no "confidence" or assurance in what you have described, only disrespectful impudence and blatant disregard for the laws of society. And as such you are a danger to society....or at least those on the hiway.

An old friend of mine, a retired Texas Ranger, once told me that anyone who breaks the law on a regular basis, even a "minor" law, either has or will break even more serious laws at some time. Which prompts me to recommend you watch your six, cause you gotta know that every law enforcement officer in your area has your "number". Let's hope your number doesn't become a statistic.

Very passionate. Another one comes out of the woodwork so enamored with himself that he feels the need to give guidance to a guy who has just been messing with everyone for days as if somehow his words will help the rest of the membership better understand the deep dark secrets of RobbieG and his pathological law breaking. Are you serious? God, get over yourself man. So pathetic. The point of the whole thread was to see how many people would encapsulate another without really knowing anything - including if any of the OP was even true as you mentioned. And the number was staggering. A window into the incredible failure that is the human condition. So dramatic are your words. But truthfully, you are WAY late to the party and I'm too bored with the thread to spar with you now. But thanks for stating the same drivel that we have read a hundred times now - all of which are predicated I might add, as were the others, on a seeminly deep understanding of something which you most certainly cannot get from one post which was specifically tailored as it went to elicit these exact emotional responses from the unevolved purely for my sport.

Oh and to answer your question. No, I have not led a charmed life. In fact, if you choose to believe it now that you know how much I like to f*ck with people, it is quite the opposite. And trust me, all I write this time is 100% true. I was raised in the woods in New England (not woodstock) by drop out parents in the 60's. I had no running water until I moved to town with my biological Father when I was 12. In other words, I sh*t in an outhouse for the first decade of my life even in winter, wading through snow drifts at 4 years old and knocking down piles of frozen crap with a stick. We heated with wood, which I was tasked with chopping EVERY day after school. We ate only bread which my Mother baked in a wood burning oven and veggies we grew and froze and beans we stashed and stored. I walked 6 miles every day to catch a bus for school as we lived so far from civilization. Oh and there were no other kids around and I played alone in case you want to psychoanalyze me. Oh and we didn't have a car either, which might be why I like them so much now. Note to self to discuss with therapist...

At 17 I escaped that life and moved to a large city and got a Bachelors degree from a major University which I payed for myself by playing music and driving a cab. I graduated with a 3.7 GPA and when I wasn't studying I was practiceing my instrument. It payed off eventually when I signed to a major label. I toured the world six times and lived in a variety of exotic places from The Pacifici to Tuscany. Eventually, I got sick of touring and retired from that life. All that remains are the 13 RIAA sales awards from the various records and movie scores I did hanging on the walls in my studio which I never go in anymore. I started a venture capital company raising money for start up companies for fees and supported myself with that and trading my own money to great success. My trading attracted the attention of a few wealthy individuals who eventually talked me into starting a small hedge fund. The company has grown and I no longer trade for individuals but for institutions, investment banks, and fund of funds. We have 20M under management in our immediate group of funds. I have recently launched another arm of my firm and developed an institutional trading software system which is custom tailored for each clients risk models to provide completely automated trading and also automatic hedging of large positions as a productivity tool. Several high profile investment banks and funds that you have heard of are now white labeling the software.

Most importantly though, I get up everyday and could care less how much money I make or how many watches or cars or houses I can buy with it. I love what I do and strive to do the best I can everyday. And as for the ticket and the story. I just have a slightly heavy foot and a certain disdain for a very specific certain policeman who has a lousy sense of humor and thinks he is better than me and a few more of my friends who have had run ins with him. So don't twist that into a pathological disdain for the law when you don't know all the facts. Please. I have said more than once that my attitide toward him is not replicated or spread around to others in his field. I have lots of respect for lots of people in lots of fields. Just not for him. And no, I don't think "public servants" deserve anything more than anyone else. You say they are public servants. I say they are just a guy with better job security. They don't do it to be servants of anyone. Just some guy with a job. We all have one. That phrase makes me laugh as does your post...

But the bottom line is that you shouldn't encapsulate people from what you read on the internet. I was not born into luxury and I have worked my a*s off to great success in now three different fields. And you know what? A common tale. There is nothing remarkable about any of it. But it is also pretty clear that one doesn't get to where I am by being stupid or having a blatant disregard for anything as you so pronounce.

Be the one guy who learns that lesson in this thread. You don't know me and I don't know you. I couldn't imagine forming any opinion of you after reading 20 posts of yours on RWG, let alone one. I find it curious you seem to be able to...

Ooops. I guess I sparred with you after all. Let's get JohnG in here and see what he thinks...

You see...turns out I do know you, or rather your clone. You haven't gone by the handle "Onesmartrat" in the past, have you? Same rhetoric, just different "facts" in the blanks.

Your propensity to bluster and preen over yourself has been and will continue to be your weakness. I suggest the next time, or when it does come about (and it will come about), when you go before a judge, you demonstrate the proper respect and humility, 'else some Bubba is gonna be callin' you "B*tch".

But, again.....my sincerest hope is that if your OP isn't the standard B.S......you do not become another hiway statistic.

Drive carefully....drive like it was your grandmama's car!

Who is blustering and preening? I just stated some facts and again you help me prove a point. You stated that you incorrectly thought that I have led a "charmed" life. I refute that and tell you it is quite the contrary. I tell you that I grew up with an outhouse and yet that gets forgotten because I also named some good times to go with the bad? What would you have said if both my childhood and adult life were white trashy and I was broke now? Then would I be preening - preening about being un-successful? How about if I did grow up with a silver spoon? Would that prove to you beyond a shadow of a doubt why I get speeding tickets sometimes?

The history I wrote contains hard times and good times and you only heard the good times - why? So you could keep the idea that I like to brag about myself or something alive? I have to tell you I talk to alot of people and share that info with everyone as they do with me and I have never heard anyone refer to my life story as blustering or preening before, nor have I with them. I was with a client today and he told me he just got a new (used) G5. Should I have told him to shut up and stop blustering because I can't afford one - or just because that would be evidence of why I don't like him (which I don't BTW)? But what does his fu*king plane have to do with anything? Just like the fact that I am doing well at the moment and got a ticket while driving a Porsche has nothing to do with anything. Certainly not so as to be construed as blustering or preening.

So I wonder what it is like really. To read one post on an internet forum and a thread that was turning into a giant joke by a guy who admits doing it on purpose, and to really think you know something about him from it. Tell me, do you consider yourself to be intelligent? Again, I just can't imagine doing that. Makes no sense to me. So as another test I post something that you might actually use to learn something about something which has substance and no fluff and you gets absolutely nothing out of it. You continue to draw the same myopic conclusions from before. Hence the reason I posted it. I suspected that nothing would change as a result and it didn't. It baffles me it really does. But thanks for the entertainment I guess. Sigh...

The point being that I wouldn't think to post my life story if I thought anyone had a genuine interest. I would use another medium - like friendship. I'm sure all of our stories are very interesting, BTW - even if mine isn't. I would love to hear your and everyone else's here to tell the truth. I find learning about people and learning in general to be fascinating. Maybe you might be evolved enough to see that I am actually not a rogue as*hat in a Porsche reeking havoc on society, but rather just a regular guy just like you with a heavy foot and sense of humor that not everyone really gets or wants to. And yet despite all the detail you still have it all drama'd up with a judge handing down a life sentence and me in leg irons married to a guy named Bubba over a traffic violation. Pretty silly don't you think?

You see...turns out I do know you, or rather your clone. You haven't gone by the handle "Onesmartrat" in the past, have you? Same rhetoric, just different "facts" in the blanks.

Your propensity to bluster and preen over yourself has been and will continue to be your weakness. I suggest the next time, or when it does come about (and it will come about), when you go before a judge, you demonstrate the proper respect and humility, 'else some Bubba is gonna be callin' you "B*tch".

But, again.....my sincerest hope is that if your OP isn't the standard B.S......you do not become another hiway statistic.

Drive carefully....drive like it was your grandmama's car!

OMG, James Tayler is a [censored]! :) kinda knew that one allready. As long as Harry Chappin and Jimmy Buffet are oke I can still sleep at night.

Luthier, you didn't happen to make a guitar for Ian Hauge from Powder Finger did you? A nice little Spanish steel jobby?

Col.

No, it's not mine.

I've built many guitars for aussies, but not for Ian Haug.