When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silver Spoons, Outhouses, and Rock & Roll

RobbieG

I drive fast. Really fast. I like my fast cars and I have fun blasting around town fast, but safely only with short bursts of acceleration out of lights and on main highway arteries, and never at dangerous top speeds . I'm not a maniac and I never push the limits or put others in danger. I'm also a realist about my plight. My life will forever be a constant game of cat and mouse with the law and I have to embrace it. Look, I know the consequence of my actions is getting tickets when I get caught and that I can't expect to avoid detection always. I try to limit getting caught to once a year if possible as the traffic school election shaves points. But I'm not about to stop having fun in my cars just because of a little ticket. I look at it this way: If I get one $500 ticket every year how cheap is that as a price of admission when you amortize it over a 12 month period. For less than $50 a month I get to enjoy my car to the fullest. Can't beat that...

Anyway, so today I thought I would take my 996 out and hammer it a bit while doing some errands. In fact I had gone to Honey Baked to pick up a ham for tomorrow. So I'm on this 8 lane artery that goes through town (4-lanes each side) with a limit of 45. 45? What were they thinking? I feel twice that is about right if I can get away with it, and I am of course even exceeeding that by a few I'm sure. But it is a highway after all - a SPEED TRAP. So I come over this slight rise and see this unmarked blacked out Mustang parked in a turn lane (bastard) just as the detector goes off but it was too late. He wasn't locked on me right away and I broke hard with both feet. Not good enough.

I don't know how fast I was going but his radar ultimately pegged me at 88. Oh well. Typical. So that is the setup, here is the funny part. I know this cop and he doesn't give warnings. I recognize him as soon as he steps out in my rear view. He asks me if I'm in a hurry and my answer was to say "Always" with a chuckle. I mean he obviously knows I like to drive fast. So then he says, "Smart ass, huh?". And I say totally unsarcastically, "No sir. I'm just being honest. With all respect I like to drive a little fast. I just do sometimes but not to excess. Your job is to try and deter that by giving tickets. I get it and I broke the law. So I deserve a ticket. That is what you are about to do and I respect that. I only chuckled because I wasn't in a hurry. Sorry, I guess I just have a dry sense of humor. Don't pay any attention to me sir." So he goes back to his car and writes the ticket. When he comes back he gives the usual instructions on what to do and the options, etc. and hands me the ticket to sign. I look down and see the fine, which is four hundred and something and say "Wow, good thing I have change left over from my Honey Baked ham mission. Ouch. But how good is life treating me when I can afford a ham and a ticket back to back. Who can't really, but I think we have it reversed. Don't you think it would be more fair if the ham was four hundred and the ticket was forty?. Nah, just messin' with ya'". So with that he says, "Wait here". He goes back to the Mustang and comes back with his light meter and writes me another $80 ticket for my tint, which is supposed to be 15% in the rear and 28% max in front. Mine is 15% all around. Big deal. So then he hands it to me and says "That's for being a smart ass." So now he has made it personal. Typical. But I'll never bow down to some kid on a power trip. I'm also not going to change my personality to accomodate someone else or be afraid of a guy 20 years younger than me just because he has a badge. I guess I should pity him as it must suck to hate yourself so much that you can only feel better when you know you are hurting others. He hated the fact that I could give a [censored] if he gave me a ticket or not. So anyway, not to be outdone I got the last word. I took the ticket, smiled again and said, "Are you working tomorrow?". Because if you are I'm just letting you know that I'll be coming by here again in another car (I'll have my Mini tomorrow-we won't tell him that...) and I'll be watching out for you. And if I do see you I'll slow down of course, but I want you to know that as soon as I'm past your site I'm gonna spool up my turbos again and love every note of the sweet music they make to my ears. And if one of your other brothers catches me and gives me another ticket, I'll pay that one too. So we have really accomplished nothing here today then. Oh well. Happy Thanksgiving sir."

So that is the story. I never really took it that far with the lip before but I just said to myself enough is enough. At this point in my life I'm not going to bite my tongue if someone makes it personal, cop or no cop. What would you guys do?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that is the story. I never really took it that far with the lip before but I just said to myself enough is enough. At this point in my life I'm not going to bite my tongue if someone makes it personal, cop or no cop. What would you guys do?

I'd do the maths. Is it worth paying $80 to be a smartarse? If so, pay away. It's not for me, though. No matter how much you get out of a meeting like that, your wallet is lighter for it.

If someone is going to charge me for getting f*cked, she'd better have big [censored].

Interesting story. One thing you should be aware of is that police are human and they do take their jobs seriously. You have just expressed the intent to commit another crime in his mind. He will be watching for you and you can bet his buddies will be too. I understand your need for speed but IMHO you should hold your words next time and just sign the ticket without comment. The last thing you should want to do is challange a policeman in the performance of his official duty. Remember, he may stop several or many persons per day and each and every time he is indeed risking his life. This is something that he takes seriously I am sure. If you want to be a speed demon, more power to you (as long as you are a capable and safe driver) but realize that there will always be law enforcement there doing their job. You, in my opinion are the one that took it to a personal level with your comments. Enjoy your life and your fast cars, but don't flaunt it. It really is in poor taste.

Sincerely...

Yes, $80 is a bargain to me as I wasn't being a smartass in the first place. I guess I get what you mean though. I just don't think that way I guess. If it ever costs me $80 to make a joke unilaterally so be it, but the day I have to censor making fun of myself for fear that another person (especially one I don't know might take it the wrong way then what is the point of living? Life is too short.

The funny thing is expression tells all. Upon driving off it was clear that his intent was to ruin my day and yet I was smiling and he was scowling. It is his day that was ruined and meanwhile I'm the one with the tickets. I can pay the fines and not give it another thought but there is no reset button for what troubles him. I bet he wishes he could pay a fine to rid himself of what troubles that festering malice inside him...

I'd do the maths. Is it worth paying $80 to be a smartarse? If so, pay away. It's not for me, though. No matter how much you get out of a meeting like that, your wallet is lighter for it.

If someone is going to charge me for getting f*cked, she'd better have big [censored].

Yes, $80 is a bargain to me as I wasn't being a smartass in the first place. I guess I get what you mean though. I just don't think that way I guess. If it ever costs me $80 to make a joke unilaterally so be it, but the day I have to censor making fun of myself for fear that another person (especially one I don't know might take it the wrong way then what is the point of living? Life is too short.

The funny thing is expression tells all. Upon driving off it was clear that his intent was to ruin my day and yet I was smiling and he was scowling. It is his day that was ruined and meanwhile I'm the one with the tickets. I can pay the fines and not give it another thought but there is no reset button for what troubles him. I bet he wishes he could pay a fine to rid himself of what troubles that festering malice inside him...

You fought the law and the law won.

You are playing a very dangerous game. One day a cop might give you a beating for acting like a jerkoff and trust me they know how to do it and cover themselves at the same time. Seriously, Hands on the wheel -- yes sir, no sir, sorry sir and donate to the local PBA that should get you a card and a little slack. Look at it this way every time a cop has to pull out into traffic to get you he puts his life in danger so he expects a little respect.

And no I'm not a cop.

And that is exacly the point really. I expect tickets as a consequence of my actions. I look at it like it is just a fixed cost of owning a fast car. I know I have to factor in a minimum of $500 a year to my operating costs. That said, today changes nothing. I just thought it funny to tell the story and I'm not flaunting anything to him or otherwise. And even if I did what difference would it make? I'm still driving a car that is a magnet for every cop and I never go the speed limit. I'm going to get a ticket if I get caught whether he tells his buddies about me or not. Cops don't write warnings to anyone driving an expenive car where I live. They figure if you are in a $130,000 car you can pay the ticket. And in fairness they are usually right about that. So my whole point is why not speak your mind if it won't change any future outcome. There is no price for the action now or in the future. And respectfully, I disagree that I took it personal. I just made a joke and he needs to lighten up. I only made it personal after the tint ticket. He brought it on himself. He wasn't doing his job then. He was being a [censored]. So I was a [censored] back to him. Don't get me worng, he was ABSOLUTELY 100% right to give me a ticket. I broke the law and I deserve it. But I don't deserved to be punished for being self depricating...

Interesting story. One thing you should be aware of is that police are human and they do take their jobs seriously. You have just expressed the intent to commit another crime in his mind. He will be watching for you and you can bet his buddies will be too. I understand your need for speed but IMHO you should hold your words next time and just sign the ticket without comment. The last thing you should want to do is challange a policeman in the performance of his official duty. Remember, he may stop several or many persons per day and each and every time he is indeed risking his life. This is something that he takes seriously I am sure. If you want to be a speed demon, more power to you (as long as you are a capable and safe driver) but realize that there will always be law enforcement there doing their job. You, in my opinion are the one that took it to a personal level with your comments. Enjoy your life and your fast cars, but don't flaunt it. It really is in poor taste.

Sincerely...

all this reminds me of a story I once heard about Jack Johnson the first African- American heavyweight champion of the world. He lived large and was into cars (this was at a time when cars where a new thing)

Story goes he was stopped and fined for speeding in some small town, he pulled the cash out of his pocket and paid twice the amount. When the cop asked why to paid double Jack said something like

"I'm coming back through here again on my way home"

I love that story. If you can take responsibility for your actions and are willing to pay the consequences then do what you please.

And make no mistake, there was no fight and the law won nothing. The law wins when they give tickets to some poor guy who is hard on his luck and can't pay his bills as it is. Some guy got nailed tonight that was on his way home to his family with no ham because he got fired and that same [censored] didn't give him a warning either. Guys like me keep guys like him in check by letting him know that he couldn't possibly write enough tickets to ruin my day. I just feel bad for all the people he truly does succeed and injuring over nothing. So to that end I am pleased.

As I said, I don't dispute my ticket. I deserve it and I'm glad to contribute those dollars to a worthy cause which is the budget of the wonderful county I live in. Looking at it that way keeps it all in perspective for me. But I don't have to pay the money and witstand a shitty attitude from a miserable man. I look at it as I get to say what half the people he was writing tonight were thinking, but they couldn't afford to risk telling him how they felt. Everything in life is assesment of risk for me. Probably a side effect of the business I'm in.

No matter. I do appreciate the heartfelt respones and I'll take them all to heart. But in the end, I just thought I would tell a funny story of what happened to me on the way back from the ham store. :D

Amen brother. I wish I could have put it as elegantly as that. I obviously couldn't, but that is the spirit in which I intended my original joke to the little man. Alas, he did not get it...

all this reminds me of a story I once heard about Jack Johnson the first African- American heavyweight champion of the world. He lived large and was into cars (this was at a time when cars where a new thing)

Story goes he was stopped and fined for speeding in some small town, he pulled the cash out of his pocket and paid twice the amount. When the cop asked why to paid double Jack said something like

"I'm coming back through here again on my way home"

I love that story. If you can take responsibility for your actions and are willing to pay the consequences then do what you please.

If you can take responsibility for your actions and are willing to pay the consequences then do what you please.

Sure, until you kill somebody in a crosswalk or hit someone head on.

I used to have a tolerance for speeding and reckless driving, and did so myself, but when my Mother was killed by a douche bag that was doing 80 in a 50 my view has changed. Not only did he take my Mother, but he killed himself, his wife, and his sister-in-law. My father was also in a wheelchair for two years.

Ask me what I think of assholes that think they are above the law.

Well don't I just feel like a douchebag now. I had no idea my little story would stir up such passion or past experience and if I did I never would have posted it. But this is an internet forum and I guess varied opinions are to be expected.

Stilty I am sincerely sorry for your losses, but just know that I was essentially on a highway with a trap speed limit and there were no cross walks. Despite my need for speed I do care deeply about the safety of others and myself. I don't have a deathwish nor do I wish to help anyone else with theirs...

Again, sorry for your losses, but make no mistake I don't feel I'm above the law. Accidents happen at or under speed limits too unfortunately. People routinely travel above the speed limit even when not ticketed and I'm sure they are not all assholes or otherwise feeling they are above the law...

Sure, until you kill somebody in a crosswalk or hit someone head on.

I used to have a tolerance for speeding and reckless driving, and did so myself, but when my Mother was killed by a douche bag that was doing 80 in a 50 my view has changed. Not only did he take my Mother, but he killed himself, his wife, and his sister-in-law. My father was also in a wheelchair for two years.

Ask me what I think of assholes that think they are above the law.

I read 1/3rd of your story and you bored me.

Your basically bragging, acting up, and I can

totally sympathize with the poor fella above,

Stilty may your mother RIP buddy.

As for the OP, I can sum you up in 4 letters.

C.O.C.K

Well don't I just feel like a douchebag now. I had no idea my little story would stir up such passion or past experience and if I did I never would have posted it. But this is an internet forum and I guess varied opinions are to be expected.

Stilty I am sincerely sorry for your losses, but just know that I was essentially on a highway with a trap speed limit and there were no cross walks. Despite my need for speed I do care deeply about the safety of others and myself. I don't have a deathwish nor do I wish to help anyone else with theirs...

Again, sorry for your losses, but make no mistake I don't feel I'm above the law. Accidents happen at or under speed limits too unfortunately. People routinely travel above the speed limit even when not ticketed and I'm sure they are not all assholes or otherwise feeling they are above the law...

BS you DO feel your above the law just re-read your original post again!

If some fool here in the UK drove the way you drive anywhere near me

or my family, you better pray I don't catch you at the lights!

You better pray your outside a hospital because I would park that car of

yours so far up your rear, it would be a classic by the time a surgeon

figures out how to remove it.

I have fun blasting around town fast, but safely

???

today I thought I would take my 996 out and hammer it a bit..

I never push the limits or put others in danger

Double the speed limit???

I know the consequence of my actions

You obviously do not

I broke hard with both feet

Who the hell brakes a sports car with two feet? Ever hear of threshold braking?

I don't know how fast I was going

Wait a minute, you never push the limits or put others in danger, but you don't know how fast you were going? Doesn't the 911 have big round gages staring right at you?

I guess I should pity him as it must suck to hate yourself so much that you can only feel better when you know you are hurting others

Hurting others???? You're kidding, right?

I'm actually shocked to read such a story. Are you sure you're not some kid in a ricer that simply doesn't know any better for lack of life experience?

I'm afraid all you've done is publicly embarrass yourself writing your post

No, but you are a Marine. Same thing apparently - given how you defend someone and a situation you know nothing about simply because he has a badge...

No additional comment beyond this one required on my part. You sir, the O.P. are without a doubt incapable of self examination, self control, respect for others or institutions. Pray to god (assuming you believe in a higher power than yourself) that I never see you on the road behaving the way you discribed in your original post. I will leave it at that...

Wow, now we are going to attack my membership too. I'm not sure where all the agression comes from. And where did I say I was rich I wonder? Because I revealed my built in budget of $500 a year for tickets? Yeah, wow RG must be loaded Or maybe it is my car? My watches? It seems like every time I get into a disagreement around here someone has to go making a wise off topic comment, like this one about the membership, and then there is usually another one or two slanted towards money in some way. Maybe should I not have said what car I was driving so as not to worry that I might be perceived as flaunting my wealth or something? I don't get it.

I'm more than happy with my membership status. So let's get personal then shall we, hot shot. I just gave a big chunk of money to the Special Olympics after reading Lani's thread. Should I have upgraded my membership instead? How much did you give to charity this year big mouth? How about we put your Platinum membership and my charitible donations for just this year up on a poll and see what the membership feels is more important to the world dollar for dollar?

Actually, I could care less but I think you see my point. I would never say that to you in the first place or otherwise call you out like that. Don't throw the gauntlet down on me son. It is uncalled for. You read my thread, you stated your opinions and I gave you mine which is what discussion on a forum is all about. You don't like me or how I spend my money - fine, keep it to yourself. And that goes for anyone else who cares to go beyond giving an opinion and personally attacking me in some way ;)

This all reminds me of my favorite line from one of my favorite movies - Good Will Hunting. When the guys go into the bar in Cambridge and they have the altercation with the Harvard student. Casey Affleck says, "Jesus, we've been here 5 minutes and already we run into a barney..." :D

If you are so rich become a platinum member here!

now that is a good use of your $$$$.

And he threatens me now. What a nice group of noobs we have here these days. Self examination? I think anyone looking at your avatar photo is probably pretty clear which of us is the more evolved human being here, and if not they might want to ask themselves why that is. Is your neck just slightly red or are we talking crimson? :1a:

No additional comment beyond this one required on my part. You sir, the O.P. are without a doubt incapable of self examination, self control, respect for others or institutions. Pray to god (assuming you believe in a higher power than yourself) that I never see you on the road behaving the way you discribed in your original post. I will leave it at that...

Who cares how much money you have or have given to charity?

Next time your out using public roads as your own personal race

track and kill someone with your "two foot" braking method,

you can always have a clear concience sat in court with the thought

you give money to charity can't you :)

Mean while the famlies of those effected by your reckless driving will

also be put at ease by your donations while they organise funerals.

The only saving grace will be that they will know that every night you

spend inside will be you getting your ring piece stretched beyond all

recognition by some hairy arsed inmate who keeps calling you lucy.

Remember YOUR the one who gushed about huge fines, baited the police,

and spat on about a 996, mini's and turbos.

Next time do us all a favour and ask mummy to put on

the "adult" filters on the computer to save us all Reading

your utter garbage.

"son"

God this is awesome. I have got to make a mental note to myself to remember to share more of my experiences here if only for entertainment value. I have never seen anything like this.

I have so totally failed at painting the picture of these events that I will forever wonder if I have any ability at all to communicate. The perception is clearly that I'm somehow on the edge of something and yet I'm as proximal as could be in every way. Awesome, just awesome. Tomorrow I'll try and post video of where I was "speeding" and I'm sure all those who think me reckless will think better of it when they see the 4-lane highway I was on when I got the ticket. And the funny thing is that if any of you were visiting my town you would almost surely get caught in the same trap thinking you were still on the highway. That was the whole point. It is a KNOWN trap designed to create tickets.

Me prefacing it all by saying that I drive fast is just me being honest. I don't like to slow down for needless traps. When I say I like to drive fast I mean relatively fast guys. Maybe the Porche was too much information? If I said it was a Subaru maybe the impression was different? And yet you are all so quick to materialize this picture in your mind of a guy weaving in and out of cross walks endangering children. Unbeliveable. It is especially funny as I was talking cars with another member who can back this up that I only live for short bursts of acceleration and I have never even come close to having my car at top speed. Maybe he will read this and cooroberate that. It scares me, truly. I just love hitting 60 in three and a half and that is literally the limit of what I ever do in my car 99% of the time. And yet you guys know nothing of that and you are ready to hang me for being an irresponsible madman weaving in and out of traffic. Sorry if I painted that picture.

Let me try to point everyone back in the correct direction. The story wasn't about speeding. it was about a cop not getting my sense of humor and punishing me for that - not punishing me for speeding. Make sense now?

In any case it never ceases to amaze me how the internet breeds such experts in judgement and by those who don't even stop to learn the details and are content to miss the whole point of something in a mad rush to convict with a hangable offense. Awesome, just awesome. I should start a whole satire series with my video camera complete with a sinsiter soundtrack where I go out and get in the car to prey on the innocent and purposefully hunt down redneck cops with my bloodlust. It would be like Christine all over again...

???

Double the speed limit???

You obviously do not

Who the hell brakes a sports car with two feet? Ever hear of threshold braking?

Wait a minute, you never push the limits or put others in danger, but you don't know how fast you were going? Doesn't the 911 have big round gages staring right at you?

Hurting others???? You're kidding, right?

I'm actually shocked to read such a story. Are you sure you're not some kid in a ricer that simply doesn't know any better for lack of life experience?

I'm afraid all you've done is publicly embarrass yourself writing your post

Son,

-Let's not get out of context there nooby. The charity statement is none of your business so don't make it so. I was making a reference to the other poster who was attacking my membership status as a way of judgeing me. I offered that as a reason why you might not want to judge people.

-Right, who cares how much money I have? I don't nor do I ask you about yours. Why must you bring it up?

- Huge fines? Is four hundred bucks a huge fine and reserved for the wealthy? What did I miss?

- And since when is mentioning a brand of automobile classified as what do you say, "gushing" about it. Yeah, I got a Porsche and a Mini. I also had a 80' Toyota Tercel once and an 87' Golf and an 84' 318i and an Izuzu pickup truck. What is your point?

You noobs are unbeliveable. Are you guys from RepGeeks or something? You don't like my thread don't read it. Where the personal attacks come from I haven't a clue. There is an old saying that goes, "Don't open your mouth till' you know what the shot is". Seems like a few people here need a lesson in getting the facts straight before hanging a guy for something they don't even understand. I'll say it again. This whole thread and the point of the story was that a cop didn't get my dry sense of humor and gave me an extra ticket for it. That's all folks...

Who cares how much money you have or have given to charity?

Next time your out using public roads as your own personal race

track and kill someone with your "two foot" braking method,

you can always have a clear concience sat in court with the thought

you give money to charity can't you :)

Mean while the famlies of those effected by your reckless driving will

also be put at ease by your donations while they organise funerals.

The only saving grace will be that they will know that every night you

spend inside will be you getting your ring piece stretched beyond all

recognition by some hairy arsed inmate who keeps calling you lucy.

Remember YOUR the one who gushed about huge fines, baited the police,

and spat on about a 996, mini's and turbos.

Next time do us all a favour and ask mummy to put on

the "adult" filters on the computer to save us all Reading

your utter garbage.

"son"