When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some help with a bracelet issue, Please

Irontomkidd

Ok Guys, the flip lock clasp on my GMT Master II has broken!

100_2357.jpg

100_2355.jpg

I love the GMT and am heartbroken that this happened; the bracelet is very poor quality in my opinion, so I am not surprised that this happened. I have contacted the Collector and asked about a replacement, but I would like to replace it with one of better quality.

I guess the question I am asking is

I see nothing wrong with sending other collectors a (brief) email asking if they will sell you a bracelet (be sure to include the style & model number of the bracelet you want).

But you should know that rep bracelets all tend to be of relatively poor quality. If you want a bracelet of truly higher quality, you have 2 choices - an unsigned Italian-made aftermarket Milano (or similar) bracelet, which is every bit the equal of a gen Rolex ($225 for a ss Sub/Seadweller style), or a gen Rolex bracelet ($500-$1,200+ on ebay).

I see nothing wrong with sending other collectors a (brief) email asking if they will sell you a bracelet (be sure to include the style & model number of the bracelet you want).

But you should know that rep bracelets all tend to be of relatively poor quality. If you want a bracelet of truly higher quality, you have 2 choices - an unsigned Italian-made aftermarket Milano (or similar) bracelet, which is every bit the equal of a gen Rolex ($225 for a ss Sub/Seadweller style), or a gen Rolex bracelet ($500-$1,200+ on ebay).

Thanks Freddy! I have seen that Milano before but was unaware it was that nice. I guess the question I have to ask myself is. Can I live without the coronet?

Is it the coronet or the fliplock that has the problem? It looks like you could repair the fliplock easily with two replacement rivet pins. If all else fails you can get those at a jewelry repair shop and bam, Robert's your uncle.

I had a pin fail there, and it was an easy repair. Here's mine:

the_pin.jpg

I guess another option would be to buy a set of gen clasp & end links & perform a bracelet-ectomy. But, considering the cost & relative rarity of finding the correct gen parts being sold individually, you are probably better off just going with a gen bracelet.

That would be perfect, the only issue I have with my current bracelet is the clasp is crap. Well it was crap to begin with but even more so now. It is so hard for me to buy Rolex parts off the bay, because you never know when you are going to get screwed (99% of the time).

All you need is the clasp assembly- so you buy the $20 bracelet and pop the pin on one end and unscrew the last link on the clasp end and put it on your old bracelet. Simple!

You know, maybe I have had one to many tonight because I never thought of using the bracelet as parts lol. That is a great idea but it looks like my problem is solved anyway. Thanks

Sheesh am I late to the show or what?! I got a PM from another member asking about these riveted pins so I made a little drawing:

rivet_pin.jpg

You can see the rivet presses into the pin. Both have rounded heads and it's a friction fit that holds them together. Just get in there under the head of the rivet with a pocketknife and pry a little, and the rivet will pop right out... and get lost in the carpet. So do it over a table with a cloth over your hands. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Ah, thanks for the info.

Are these the things were talking about?

http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/4/0/1998/3341.aspx

Sheesh am I late to the show or what?! I got a PM from another member asking about these riveted pins so I made a little drawing:

rivet_pin.jpg

You can see the rivet presses into the pin. Both have rounded heads and it's a friction fit that holds them together. Just get in there under the head of the rivet with a pocketknife and pry a little, and the rivet will pop right out... and get lost in the carpet. So do it over a table with a cloth over your hands. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

• 4 years later...

Bring up this thread from the dead.... Anyone have any additional insight on what size those friction rivets are? I picked up a gen clasp but its missing the half-link. I wanted to use my TC v3 half link and attach it to the gen clasp.

Insight appreciated!

Buy this assortment from cousinsUK mentioned above. It is not far expensive and you will find the fitting rivets and pins inside. I used this for a repair on a broken TC clasp, works just fine. It should be the 1mm size.

Edited by Ticktick

When I have a problem of this nature  I have a small jewelry story nearby that I take my watches too, not expensive and usually do the repairs while I Waite. Or you could post a GEN post I'm sure there are several members here who probably have what you need in their scrap or parts boxes who would be willing to  sell you  what you want.