When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pinched Nerve

swdivad

Well, after a wonderful night in town, my wife and I arrived home around 2:30am, ready to hit the sack :wub:

As usual, I started to take off my shoes in my normal silly standing up manner, got the left one off, working vigourously to get my right untied, and then.... YOOOOUUUUCH! Pain shot through my body like it never has before, I fell to the floor writhing with every breath! :Jumpy:

This morning was able to make it into the bathroom for a shower very carefully, and then spent about half an hour just to get my underwear on!!! :thumbdown:

Been to the chinese herbalist/acupuncturist and has had the hot needle/herb/herb patch once over so far, he's given me some herb patches to change for the next few days...

Anyway, does anyone have ANY advice at all for a pinched nerve? :blink:

This is worse than I've ever experienced, I wouldn't wish it on my enemies (well, maybe one B) )

Cheers

can you explain what a pinched nerve is? my english is now better with watches then health...

Well, after a wonderful night in town, my wife and I arrived home around 2:30am, ready to hit the sack :wub:

As usual, I started to take off my shoes in my normal silly standing up manner, got the left one off, working vigourously to get my right untied, and then.... YOOOOUUUUCH! Pain shot through my body like it never has before, I fell to the floor writhing with every breath! :Jumpy:

This morning was able to make it into the bathroom for a shower very carefully, and then spent about half an hour just to get my underwear on!!! :thumbdown:

Been to the chinese herbalist/acupuncturist and has had the hot needle/herb/herb patch once over so far, he's given me some herb patches to change for the next few days...

Anyway, does anyone have ANY advice at all for a pinched nerve? :blink:

This is worse than I've ever experienced, I wouldn't wish it on my enemies (well, maybe one B) )

Cheers

can you explain what a pinched nerve is? my english is now better with watches then health...

I believe that the nerve's sheath may dislocate itself from where it should actually be, causing extreme pain...

I'm not a doctor, so that's about all I can say.

David you don't have a pinched nerve you have a ruptured disc and yeah I can vouch for you...............it does bloody hurt.

One thing my friend rest do what your body tells you if it gets too bad go to the quacks for pain killers and last maybe just maybe a physio might be able to help.

Ken

if so, go immedeately to a chiropractor

David you don't have a pinched nerve you have a ruptured disc and yeah I can vouch for you...............it does bloody hurt.

One thing my friend rest do what your body tells you if it gets too bad go to the quacks for pain killers and last maybe just maybe a physio might be able to help.

Ken

I'm sorry to hear how common this is, I had almost the exact thing happen about a month ago and it has been a totally new experience in pain. I've been to a chiropractor three times (this guy has over 25 years of experience) and it isn't really helping me very much. My office is next to a physical therapist and she basically told me rest and time are the only things that really help this.

I have had years of trouble with my back and neck, I am now training in the fitnessschool every day since 5 month and have no pain anymore.

A good combination of training and stress decreasing will help us all.

Off course I can only speak for myself :animal_rooster:

I assure you the chiropractor is small potato's, I've moved on to Neurologist's and Orthapaedic Surgeons. :(

Ken

Yes well they seem to think that taking out the last 2 disc's in my back and replacing them with springs is what I need. :black_eye:

Although they keep deferring surgery to see if it will mend by itself. :blink:

Ken

I assure you the chiropractor is small potato's, I've moved on to Neurologist's and Orthapaedic Surgeons. :(

Ken

And it's all the waiting for referrals too - a process of elimination at the speed of an asthmatic ant. "Just feckin' fix it!" is what you want. The 'wait and see' thing just doesn't cut it after a while.

Still - removing 2 discs sounds drastic - it's a solution but, you know, you end up looking like this:

91525-28189.jpg

;)

On the pinched nerve: obviously there are loads of google links to excellent sites on pinched sciatic nerves, but it must be reassuring (?) to know that your agony is shared! It seems to be a rest job. Hopefully, because you injured yourself doing something slightly innocuous, it will sort itself. It's a personal thing, but I'd be speaking to a GP before I went to a chiropractor.

Fingers crossed for all of you!

And it's all the waiting for referrals too - a process of elimination at the speed of an asthmatic ant. "Just feckin' fix it!" is what you want. The 'wait and see' thing just doesn't cut it after a while.

Still - removing 2 discs sounds drastic - it's a solution but, you know, you end up looking like this:

91534-28188.jpg

;)

On the pinched nerve: obviously there are loads of google links to excellent sites on pinched sciatic nerves, but it must be reassuring (?) to know that your agony is shared! It seems to be a rest job. Hopefully, because you injured yourself doing something slightly innocuous, it will sort itself. It's a personal thing, but I'd be speaking to a GP before I went to a chiropractor.

Fingers crossed for all of you!

Thanks all for your support and info...

I will seek some medical advice before going to a chiro :rolleyes:

My pain is trying to convince me to take the shortest route, which in this case may not be the best... One step at a time and the good part out of this is that I get a bit of R&R :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Sorry to hear it. Chiro is a good start. If it does not get better over the next few days you will end up going to orthoped for x-rays and MRI. MRI is the only diagnostic that worked for me. As for relexing the muscles around the problem I find the most helpful is to alternate heat and ice. I spent a summer in one of the leading sports medicine rehab facilities with Larry Bird and Bill Walton. At the end of the day (if it is not simple cyatica) it is either surgery or dedicated and consistent stretching and exercising of the muscles around the back and stomach area. Best of luck. :)

I am not a doctor but was Director of Emergency Medical Services for about 10 years in an earlier career and have seen a lot of this. You current episode is more than likely not the initial injury as this probably happened earlier in your life, even up to several years ago.

You probably sustained the initial damage to a disc because of something you did, maybe at a job. Lifting and turning at the same time is the primary culprit for this kind of injury and later episodes of pain can occur frequently with little warning. It can be as simple as stepping off a curve or bending over in bed tying your shoe.

Repeats of this will occur and you should seek medical evaluation now. A doctor specializing in sports medicine is a good choice as they have a lot of experience with this kind of injury. He will do a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance scan to image the damaged area. From there he can prescribe a course of action. Surgery is the last thing on the list as there are always risk when operating near spinal nerves. He will prescribe muscle relaxants, anti-inflammatory meds and pain killers. This episode will last for about 10 days and progressively get better but it will likely reoccur at some time in your future. He will also prescribe some exercises to do.

You need to see the doctor now. Waiting will delay proper treatment and permanent nerve damage can result.

Hope you see a doctor soon.

Usil

I disappeared here for quite some time - I was two months in traction with two herniated discs. A MRI is the only way to make sure. Everybody preaches chiropractor - go to the doctor first and get properly diagnosed, then gather up all treatment options and make an informed decision. I know the pain will overide the smart button but don't let it. If someone would have told me hooking up electrodes both fore and aft and cranking up the voltage would relieve the pain - I would have tried it. Remember if you do the wrong thing, the condition can worsen or become permenent. Seek professional medical help - until then hot and cold, or seek out a hot tub( it really works) - ensure you have someone there to help you in and out. Seek professional medical help. B)

Spelling edits AAARRGGGHHH!

Edited by Blindman

There is no way to know the true health of your discs without an MRI study. Usually this is not neccessary, as most acute episodes of back pain self-resolve (often with the use of anti-inflammatory medication) in 72-96 hours. Occasionally, the use of steroids, such as prednisone, can be used to calm down an inflammed nerve. When the pain radiates into the lower extremity, it is often a symptom of nerve root irritation, and this is best treated with oral steroids.

If you heard a 'crack'' when this happened, it may be due to a dysfunctional SI joint, in which Osteopathic or Chiropractic adjustmen may be beneficial. I would wait to calm it down before I would attempt either.

Once it heals up, and the acute episode is over, there is a great book entitled 'Back Together' from Running Press- great book, effective tools for preventing back pain. The author is intelligent, handsome, personable, and likes watches alot. Ahem....

I hope you feel better fast, and all my best.

-O

Ken

NEVER EVER EVER USE a Chiropractor for spinal pathology...they are insane. Antiinflammatories, maybe pain medication (narcotics) if needed for a couple of days, hot packs to the area -use an electric heating pad-, and a muscle relaxant. You need to see an orthopaedic surgeon...if this is not your first time you need an MRI (magnetic resonance image)...

You should feel better in a week or so, if this lingers...MRI

Let us know

Alex

PS: SI joints don't crack (but they can hurt!!)

NEVER EVER EVER USE a Chiropractor for spinal pathology...they are insane. Antiinflammatories, maybe pain medication (narcotics) if needed for a couple of days, hot packs to the area -use an electric heating pad-, and a muscle relaxant. You need to see an orthopaedic surgeon...if this is not your first time you need an MRI (magnetic resonance image)...

You should feel better in a week or so, if this lingers...MRI

Let us know

Alex

PS: SI joints don't crack (but they can hurt!!)

SI joints can make a 'popping' sound when they become dysfunctional, as in an anterior or posterior inominate dysfunction. Most laypeople describe it as a 'crack'.

BTW- I am not a big fan of chiros, but for certain types of dysfunction, they get good results. The important thing is to have a correct diagnosis- As I related, most of these episodes self-resolve, when they do not, and MRI is appropriate.

-O

Edited by new & improved osteopath