When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Weekend Wristcheck

RobbieG

They are already quite collectable and Rolex AD's all push them as such and always have as I remember from pre order on out. Watches that have deviant color schemes don't usually get much wrist time for obvious reasons yet collectors continue to get sucked in knowing full well ahead of time and then judge it for the same later as if it is some new information or something. Those silly little watch collector types. LOL.

In other words, it is only the color scheme that makes it weird really. I don't really like them either per se but I wouldn't say they were ugly. I'd just say it was kind of orange and green. In fact I think there are quite a few design elements that are cool with this piece, but I think many sort of miss them because the color scheme is such a commitment. To that end it sort of locks out anyone who simply doesn't like orange and green which is kind of unfortunate for its survival as an important part of the brand. And because of that I certainly wouldn't put it in with the Daytona in any respect. That watch has been iconic for quite some time and was never about a color scheme. I doubt the Milgauss will ever be iconic, although cool enough as a watch for any collection for sure if it is your bag. Iconic no. Ironic maybe. :D

PS: Cool watch and cool pics Doc! I really wish they would have developed these with more choices and sort of made the "Milgauss line" instead of wrecking out with the Day Date II which makes no sense. No reason to cloud the DD or the DJ with a new case size. Just make the Milgauss in a million different options with the second hand shape as a hallmark of the design. Sometimes I wonder about Rolex...

I think the reason comes down to the fact that the new Milgauss just does not inspire alot of (positive) emotion in many people (not a very popular watch). In fact, like the SDDS, alot of people on TZ who got their orders in early (back when the Milgauss was receiving nearly unanimous pans from the regulars), later sold the watch after finding it getting little or no wrist time. Of course, today's ugly watch is tomorrow's 'it' collectible (think Daytona). But a green crystal covering a squiggly orange hand is not quite my cup of tea either.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the new Milgauss just does not inspire alot of (positive) emotion in many people

No doubt. When I ordered it I thought I would be selling it shortly after receiving it. I just wanted to see it. That's also why I bought the 21J version. Easy to sell later.

I wasn't complaining, thus the :lol:.

Mil%20N%20dial%204.jpg

I was having a good look at thes yesterday in the AD window, i never realised they would be soo big, but there is something about the bezel that looks od it may be the width or the angle, still nice looking

snowbak1oj7.jpg

Nice, all we have in germany is dull damp and rain

DSC01074.jpg

for me

Fiddys back then TJ all working well?

Indeed, it seems to be running smooth as silk :) The smith never sorted out the issue with the crown assembly as asked ( :rolleyes: ) but, I recalled you'd said about filing down the feet of the CG itself, so the lever would be tighter. I need to take another few mm off before I'll be happy to try dunk-testing it, but, at least it's stopped rattling when I wear it B):lol: I have to admit, the watch was gone so long, that when I got it back, it didn't actually feel like 'my watch' any more, and I was pretty happy with my Omegas. But, a quick strap change, a little DIY tinkering, and I think we're happily re-united :lol: I'll keep an eye on it for 24 hours to see how well it's keeping time :)

What a difference a day made,

24 little hours...

DSCN0540.jpg

I filed down the feet of the CG so the lever is secure, and it finally feels like my property again :wub:^_^B)

PS That's natural lens flare, not photoshop trickery B)

Indeed, it seems to be running smooth as silk :) The smith never sorted out the issue with the crown assembly as asked ( :rolleyes: ) but, I recalled you'd said about filing down the feet of the CG itself, so the lever would be tighter. I need to take another few mm off before I'll be happy to try dunk-testing it, but, at least it's stopped rattling when I wear it B):lol: I have to admit, the watch was gone so long, that when I got it back, it didn't actually feel like 'my watch' any more, and I was pretty happy with my Omegas. But, a quick strap change, a little DIY tinkering, and I think we're happily re-united :lol: I'll keep an eye on it for 24 hours to see how well it's keeping time :)

Hey TJ! That's a wicked Fiddy! Have you tried doing the plastic glue mod on the CG lever? It's pretty easy, but you need to have a plastic heat glue gun that looks like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...%26+Glue+Sticks

What you do is remove the CG and punch out the lever, then put a drop of the heated/melted plastic on the hole on the lever and using a paper clip, push it thru the hole! Make sure you push enough of it to go thru the other side! Let it cool hard and slowly wiggle the paper clip to loosen it, using a box cutter blade, cut any excess glue around the bottom clip and pull it out gently. Once it's all out, trim any excess glue and put it back on the CG and put the metal pin thru using a watchsmith hammer, plastic side if you have that one! Viola! Tight as a Virgen!

Good luck!

F

Hey TJ! That's a wicked Fiddy! Have you tried doing the plastic glue mod on the CG lever? It's pretty easy, but you need to have a plastic heat glue gun that looks like this: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...%26+Glue+Sticks

What you do is remove the CG and punch out the lever, then put a drop of the heated/melted plastic on the hole on the lever and using a paper clip, push it thru the hole! Make sure you push enough of it to go thru the other side! Let it cool hard and slowly wiggle the paper clip to loosen it, using a box cutter blade, cut any excess glue around the bottom clip and pull it out gently. Once it's all out, trim any excess glue and put it back on the CG and put the metal pin thru using a watchsmith hammer, plastic side if you have that one! Viola! Tight as a Virgen!

Good luck!

F

Thanks, bro, :):good: I knew it was my favorite for a reason :lol:

I haven't done the glue mod, as the problem wasn't so much a case of the lever pin simply being loose, it was that there simply wasn't enough pressure in its contact with the crown to always hold it in place. I had asked the watch smith to try adjusting the tube, so there was more pressure from the underside, but, he didn't do it, ( :rolleyes: ) and I remembered reading Andy's comment about filing down the feet of the CG, and that's resolved the issue :) It now locks down securely enough that it doesn't rattle about, and, another mm or so, and it will then lock down tight enough to definitely press the crown and tube closed to ensure the water resistance :lol:

Thanks, bro, :):good: I knew it was my favorite for a reason :lol:

I haven't done the glue mod, as the problem wasn't so much a case of the lever pin simply being loose, it was that there simply wasn't enough pressure in its contact with the crown to always hold it in place. I had asked the watch smith to try adjusting the tube, so there was more pressure from the underside, but, he didn't do it, ( :rolleyes: ) and I remembered reading Andy's comment about filing down the feet of the CG, and that's resolved the issue :) It now locks down securely enough that it doesn't rattle about, and, another mm or so, and it will then lock down tight enough to definitely press the crown and tube closed to ensure the water resistance :lol:

Have you checked the crown rubber o rings! I put two on mine and that made it tight! I believe it needs two! My DSN 217 have two in it!