When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm officially done with Chronographs

m4rcus

As the title says...I think I'm officially done with Chronographs. :mellow:

I have always been attracted to chronographs and the rep gods have been kind by supplying a seamlessly never ending supply of new chronographs to chose from. Unfortunately, I have had trouble/problems with everyone I have bought...even the quartz specimens.

Here is my list of problem children:

Swiss Army Officer's 1884 - quartz - center second hand will not move or reset. It stays paralyzed around the 7 o'clock marker

IWC Proto Rep - A7750 - When I bought it I didn't know this one was going to be a problem. I guess I didn't do enough research. Then the second at 6 issues arose -- now dead

Tag Aquaracer rep - A7750 - usually works as advertised, but sub dial at 6 o'clock doesn't reset at times, sometimes it does

Tag Formula 1 rep - quartz - center second chrono hand doesn't reset to zero

Breitling Skyland rep - A7750 - center second hand quit resetting to zero and eventually popped off the post. I used the bonding compound as instructed by many helpful posts, but that only lasted for a few weeks...it popped off again. I replaced it with a hand from another watch. So, it looks like crap, but works now (anyone have a Skyland center second hand they want to get rid of??? PM me!)

Daytona rep - quartz - I found a non-branded Daytona rep on ebay. Of course I thought I wouldn't have problems...since it is a Myota quartz. Wrong. Same thing as the Tag Formaula 1. The center second hand won't reset to zero.

So there you have it. About 2 - 3 years of chronos that I have had problems with.

As anyone else had these experiences or I'm I just the one unlucky SOB?

OK, this might be something you know, but i'll say it anyway.

I had an early Breitling emergency miyota quartz chrono that would reset the centre seconds to 6.

i brought it to a jewelers to get some links removed, and he showed me how to reset.

you need to pull the crown out to one of the positions, i am not sure which, then press one of the chrono buttons which will advance the reset point by one second each press

I had an early Breitling emergency miyota quartz chrono that would reset the centre seconds to 6.

i brought it to a jewelers to get some links removed, and he showed me how to reset.

you need to pull the crown out to one of the positions, i am not sure which, then press one of the chrono buttons which will advance the reset point by one second each press

I have a beater with a Swiss quartz (actually brought it in Switzerland many moons ago) and this method can change the position at which the subdials and center seconds hands start...

Hmm....I'll have to look into that tonight. Thanks for the tip.

Admittedly, it is an added inconvenience & expense, but you would improve your chances (& save yourself alot of aggravation) by having your reps properly serviced upon delivery (& I do not mean by the seller or his agent). Chronographs, especially, are finicky beasts & a thorough tear-down & rebuild will head off alot of the types of problems you described. Try Ziggy or check your local phone book for a watchsmith who is rep-friendly & willing to work on a chronograph (some will not).

I confirm..I have done the same thing on a quartz B&R...just unscrew the crown and push the upper pusher for the chrono if I remember well

OK...Color me stupid, but that worked for my Tag and Daytona reps...but not for the Swiss Army. I guess it is fubar.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help.

i have the opposite experience. i have good luck with my A7750's although

i hardly use the chronos. the exception of course are the Daytonas.

i have tons of trouble with the 'swiss etas'- most of them have to be serviced. they are dirty and the winding/setting mechanisms are crap.

at this point most of the mov't seem suspect over there. probably better off with a $500 Hamilton with real swiss mov't.

The majority of my watches are chrono's and I have never had a problem, I do however know of all the probs suffered by members so I guess I'm just lucky.

Mind you my two beaters have been professionally serviced.

Ken

I stopped ordering rep chronos about 5 years ago.

Not only are all the 7750/7753 movements suspect, but they (most rep chronos)

are way too thick. (16-18mm)

Compared to the gen's of most models, the reps are ALWAYS thicker.

For those gen watches that are chronos, most are much thinner than the reps of the same models.

(unless they are 1.1)

9mm to 14mm watches are way more appropriate for smaller than 7 inch wrists.

A classic diver like an Omega 300 or most of the standard non chrono's are in the neighborhod of 12mm.

About perfect.

I've recently discovered the shady world of inexpensive, yet reliable and trouble free quartz chronos encased in the supposedly high quality rep cases.

I get these timepieces from iOffer, haven't been burned yet, actually it's been a very pleasant buying experience.

I know the large seconds hand ticks when activated, but the chrono and subdials re-set perfectly.

I have a chrono but don't use the chrono function? That's a bit of wacky, isnt it? What if a friend wants to check out my rep - do I tell the person "don't use the chrono's" ? Hmmm....

Funny you said that. You have no idea how many PMs I get from people asking, '"What are these chronos and how do I use them?"

People actually buy these watches and have no idea what they are? Why?

I owned dozens of A7750s and ALL had movement issue's of some kind. There's only one A7750 which runs perfect and that one is in my BCE (so the chance of getting a perfect A7750 is like 1:30 from my experience). That's the only A7750 I kept.

From now one only 3 handed watches for me. Like said in this thread earlier: The more sh!t your movement has to do the more likely it will break. I fully agree!

I now have 6x A7750 chrono + 1 Seagull and all of them are top shape. Oldest is 3 years old. The last one (Porsche) had issue.. It's the first one and it was sent back. I have bought 2 for friend, which they wore everyday, and they have no problem.

So..9 out of 10 are fine.. I must be lucky..