When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT III

FxrAndy

One point if the rep makers ever read this, Go and speak to seagull and get them to make the 2893 gmt movement, they managed that with the 2892 so i am sure they can do this, get a propper gmt MOVEMENT MADE UP!, DONT EVEN BOTHER with correct hand stacks for modded 2836, a propper GMT movement PLEASE!

You have the case, you have the bezel technology and we know toy can do the rest, just sort the movement!

Simply beautiful...another one to add to my growing collection especially if they can put a "proper" GMT movement into this one. In fact, if Seagull will produce a GMT, I may need to consider putting this into my GMTIIc! Been looking to swap out the Asian modified ETA 2836-2 movement for something more reliable but a "reasonably" price 2893-2 seems to elude me for the time being.

One thing is for sure and that is Rolex really struggled with getting two ceramic colors in "one piece" with a really straight, stark perfect line between them. This was what has delayed the watch for longer than expected of course. The question becomes whether the rep guys can go the insert without using two pieces (assuming Rolex ended up using one piece which they were attempting).

One thing is for sure and that is Rolex really struggled with getting two ceramic colors in "one piece" with a really straight, stark perfect line between them. This was what has delayed the watch for longer than expected of course.

You know it or you are just assuming it?

Well when it comes to Rolex nobody knows, but virtually all of the conversations by so called Rolex experts, AD's I know, etc. have been geared towards this issue when it comes to these future models - the ceramic watch in the Coke and Pepsi two color bezel variants. I mean they even discontinued the 16710 prior to finishing and that seems a pretty heavy comitment. My AD even said that he thoughT Rolex was leaving options open and had said to me the other day when I asked him about this, "Well if they don't nail it and have to abandon it for whatever reason there is no law that said they could'nt bring back the 16710 later anyway..." Personally, I think they must have been pretty confident they could nail the one piece bezel if they went ahead and discontinued the original. No doubt that is a bread and butter watch for them and I doubt they would just quit it for no good reason unless they had a replacement close to ready.

So anyway, given Rolex has never had a problem with the single color ceramic as it is essentially just a color mix I wouldn't doubt that this is the only real issue with the watch. Everything has been ready forever now. If the intention is to get the bezel insert like it has always been in one piece it is certainly not easy to create that perfectly edged line between the colors when you realize how the ceramic is made in this case. In fact, I still haven't heard from any experts here or elsewhere how the engineers among us think it might be able to be done. Anyway, what we don't know and will probably never know until release is whether Rolex solved the problem with this by figuring it out, or if they ran out of time and decided to use a two piece insert abandoning the one piece concept if that was the original plan (although I doubt it). So I'm not really assuming anything. Rolex experts have uniformly said (at least the posts I have read on TZ, etc.) that the company was having some trouble with the two color inserts in ceramic. So the question is really whether they know or assumed it. I wouldn't know, but as I said it seems plausible to me.

But again, if it is one piece, and since the reps so far aren't real ceramic, the question becomes how would the rep insert me made other than two piece regardless of what Rolex does and if and when? Certainly has my curiosity peaked...

You know it or you are just assuming it?