When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Air King Date...

Guest Sql_pl

While awaiting my franken 16520 to arrive after assembly I find myself getting more and more into rollies.

I was thinking about building a 16200 Frankenjust or Franken Explorer for my girlfriend but today I have found this:

ff0b8758f5703e82.jpg

bf392763ef3653f8.jpg

b095f9dccf0f7acb.jpg

a0a0907dfe649bb7.jpg

023aeb794d87099f.jpg

I was really surprised to see date feature on an airking... and when i did a small research it turned out it might be worth getting:

Quote from gen rolex forum:

"The Air King Date SS and ones with the red date the most collectible these are quite "Sort after Rolex watches" at the moment. This is because its quite a uncommon variety of the standard Air King. And was sold mainly in Canada and Britain...the date is the feature making it more collectible like the reference 5700 with the cal 1520 But not telephone number prices, a mint 80s models might retail from around $2000- $2750"

This one for sale here is from 1983 and from pics looks really mint. Best part is I can get it for really SMALL amount of money.

Would you go for it? Do you think everything is OK with the watch based on pics posted above?

Would appreciate input.

Thanks

Maciek

Will call the guy first thing tomorrow morning.

I am already quite excited - I think it will look great on Ola's wrist.

The fact it may also increase in value over time adds to it's attraction too.

I called the seller of this watch.

Unfortunately no box or papers.

He is a shop so he gives his invoice and proof of authenticity by him but I guess it is not the same as getting it with rolex papers or service history....

But still watch looks 100% gen and seeems to be rare bird....

Mixed feelings. Good thing it is reasonably priced - at least I think it is reasonable at $1250.00

Should I stay or should I go? :)

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that that might be the same model of watch which John Barrowman wore in his portayal of Captain Jack Harkness... I've never found a shot which was directly on the face, but I've seen John wearing several Rolexes before, so I have a hunch that this is it...

captain-jack-harkness-gun.jpg

3x11Utopia-01209.jpg

3x11Utopia-01182.jpg

[Edit to add]

I forgot to say, if you think the guy is reliable, then for that price, I'd go for it :good:

Make sure the case reference number between the lugs at 6 o'clock is not 1500 or this will turn out to be a redialed 1500 OPD with a lower value (in today's market).

The air king date case reference number should be 5700 for steel or 5701 for tutone. You can get by with a 5500 AK caseback on a 5700/5701 but the 1500 caseback is not cool.

The 1520 movement is OK for a 5700 AK date even if the movement carries an official 1525 reference number because they often used 1520 autowind plates on date watches just like thousands of 1570 plates on date watches that should be 1575.

note: the rolex parts book shows either a 1525 or 1535 in the 5700/5701 AKD but do not worry about the '0' instead of a '5' on any date watch.

The machined cutout inside the caseback is not extremely uncommon. Maybe they milled the case manufacturer's initials or something away (CRS etc) before sending it out of the factory.

Bottom line:

Make sure it is a 5700 case...not a 1500 case.

Oh that's great point automatico, thanks!

I just talked to the guy - tomorrow he will send me pics of the case reference.

He told me he did not check it as of yet - he mainly deals in modern Omegas and I guess he got this in a trade of some kind.

BTW I think this guy is OK.

He is a doctor and he treats trading watches as a hobby because he loves watches.

I asked him about other pieces he has for sale, maybe some of you would be interested:

He's got this 3706 Pilot Chrono:

iwc%20chrono%20inter.jpg

This pilot:

fe70409ae3c56c1dmed.jpg

And some more vintage: 2 x IWC and 1 x Glashutte

043b8ba41a8200f2.jpg

I certainly see automatico's point about the case ref number being 5700. I'm not sure if the current 1500 caseback # is a problem or if it's just one of those things Rolex didn't worry about 30 years ago- kinda like the 5513/5512 casebacks on Subs- no big deal.

The cases for the 5700 and the 1500 are the same AFAIK. The 1500 Date had the chronometer rated 1570/5 movt, The Air King Date had the 1520/5. No 'Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified' on the Air King.

The price seems pretty good if the case is a 5700. Whether or not you then need to find a 5700 caseback, I don't know...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...