When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another example of how microsoft does not get it!

stilty

So they have this new program called Songsmith, you can get a quick background here:

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/red...ects/songsmith/

and someone ran a vocal track of David Lee Roth through the program.

You can listen to the results here:

http://music.metafilter.com/2943/Runnin-With-The-Songsmith

Now I dont' know what is more awful. The results of Diamond Dave being interpreted by Microsoft... or the god awful program itself. just painful! utterly painful.

also, if you take a closer look to the youtube clip, you can see that the little girl is using a macbook... they just put some stickers on it to hide the apple logo.

I just saw this today and had problems keeping my lunch down. Funny thing, is that they seem to be using a Mac in the commercial and somebody pointed out that the entire ad was some sort or irony from MS.

@blue_sphere

W7 is pretty darn good. I've had the beta since they released it to the developers and it's running faster and better than Vista. Even tried upgraing one of my Vista machines and that went painless. I've read on some developer forums that upgrading is not recommended if you have hardware that is a couple of years old as most problems with the beta is caused by missing or bad drivers.

Although things are working great and I love some of the new features, I'm having a hard time to justify that eventually I will have to pay good money for this, because it just looks like a big service pack to Vista. Now, I've never had any problems with Vista and think it's a great OS, but W7 is kinda like Vista should have worked.

@blue_sphere

W7 is pretty darn good. I've had the beta since they released it to the developers and it's running faster and better than Vista. Even tried upgraing one of my Vista machines and that went painless. I've read on some developer forums that upgrading is not recommended if you have hardware that is a couple of years old as most problems with the beta is caused by missing or bad drivers.

Although things are working great and I love some of the new features, I'm having a hard time to justify that eventually I will have to pay good money for this, because it just looks like a big service pack to Vista. Now, I've never had any problems with Vista and think it's a great OS, but W7 is kinda like Vista should have worked.

Shundi was saying the same thing. I love the idea of the improving the performance vista is such a hog. The main issue with a new OS is the drivers though. Hopefully the graphics card companies, sound companies, etc get with the picture and start development now.

Let me get this right.....

This is the best advert a multinational company with billions in assets can produce? :blink:

Ken

Apparently you are forgetting the advertising train wreck that was the Jerry Seinfeld series of ads. The ads so bad that they were to be a "series" until no one got them or cared about them. They told Jerry just to keep the money and GTFO. That is Microsoft.

Apparently you are forgetting the advertising train wreck that was the Jerry Seinfeld series of ads. The ads so bad that they were to be a "series" until no one got them or cared about them. They told Jerry just to keep the money and GTFO. That is Microsoft.

Actually I missed those.......thank God :)

Ken

Shundi was saying the same thing. I love the idea of the improving the performance vista is such a hog. The main issue with a new OS is the drivers though. Hopefully the graphics card companies, sound companies, etc get with the picture and start development now.

I have not got around to it beause I am still sore over the screwing I got testing Vista, but driver support is supposed to be pretty good in this beta. I heard that the Windows 7 is just a tuned up version of Vista, de-Vistaed if that makes sense.

My god... I just watched that... shoot me please...

Protools does this about 20x better at 20x the price.

Its not a BAD idea... but the advertisement for it is terrible.

I blame Protools for shitification of music today. ProTools is responsible for the release of "music" that should have never seen the light of day making it big. Paris Hilton had an album due to PT for christ sakes. I am a big fan of going to concerts and you can tell which bands are good in the studio and which ones phone it in on PT. I miss the days when bands went in and put [censored] on tape and then performed it the exact same live. Compare the bands that recorded on tape (Beatles, Black Sabbath, Led Zep, etc.) to what we have today, I don't think Protools was a development that helped so much as an aid to [censored] music. I can't wait to see what my kids will listen too with a generation brought up using this Microsoft thing to record albums.

I've used Ubuntu since...a while ago but I had Vista on a separate partition...

I love XP and I didn't have issues with Vista b/c I had up to date hardware... 7 is very, very snappy and seems to be running just fine...I remember Vista RCs 1 + 2 and they were no where near as polished as this...

My only caveat so far has been my inability to install iTunes for my phone... Something with the kernel + quicktime...

been a beta tester for MS for a while now, hated vista rc1 and rc2, rtm was ok, but major issues.

windows 7 is good. and its beta 1. it is vista 2.0 basically. drivers are same as vista which is nice, but if you have older devices, good luck. I have it loaded on a workstation, works great. I have it loaded on a 3 year old workstation laptop and it crashes often. my opinion is get windows 7 on a new pc and enjoy.\

oh and I think the diamond dave audio is amazing and the acting in that vid is top notch :))

That Seinfield Ad was actually a pretty good ad. But unfortunately the majority of those who watch TV have an IQ below 50. Those would also not understand the Seinfield series, or just watch it because its hip (like some people watch South Park, like and, but don't get it AT ALL). For these people, such an ad is not gonna work.

But this music creating thing, seriously, if I was a manager somewhere and head of marketing showed me this, I would have slapped him in the face. Just slap him. SLAP!