When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Value of a Blacksteel v2 with Swiss 7750 and relume?

Watchmeister

I got a busted movement Blacksteel v2 the other day and am debating what to do with it. Aesthetically it is great. I can either send it back or pop in an older true Swiss 17j 7750 movement and relume it. Let's just say "trying to make lemons into lemonade". :lol: Any idea what it is worth?

Bear in mind, I am not soliciting bids as it would take time but rather trying to decide whether to fix it and get my money back the hard way or ship it back to China (which I hate).

Still interested to hear thoughts. The dealer is doing the right thing and offering me a credit on my next purchase so the price of the watch comes down and on the movement my cost is a fraction of the current cost of 7750's as I bought a dozen movements years ago. I would still have to pay for installing and relume though. So this one can go for well under $1,000 or as I think of it more like 20% of current secondary market gen but not $700. NOt particularly a money maker but way to avoid the China re-ship. Does this make sense? :)

I don't know...

I would probably sell off the broken watch at something at or above the dealer's credit allowance (preserving your investment), and save the 7750 for something that is unquestionably worth it.

For what it's worth .. I was thinking the other day that if there were one rep from 08 that I would spend a decent amount on .. (that is add the Swiss 7750 mvmt.) it would be the Skyland BS.(meaning out of the box without other genuine parts)

Having said that, if you are receiving a credit for the defective Asian 7750.. it sounds like a "win-win" situation,.. being that RG's re-lume would make it worth the investment of the Swiss 7750, and not the other way around ! if the dial were inaccurate as far as font etc. then that would be a different ball game.. but the dial seems by all apperances to be only needing RG's artistry with the lume dot's..

The DLC coat is spot on

The dial is without flaws that cannot be fixed

my conclusion would be .. if you already have the Swiss 7750 movmt. available and it sounds like you picked it up when they were still fairly resonably priced by yesterday's Dollar,... then what's stopping ya.. :D

Hey Warren,

I would go for it. I have the Gen SS Skyland and recently picked up the BS from Angus, by all accounts a great watch, only issue the lume dots which Rob will be fixing shortly. I'm hoping the BS color is accurate(I haven't had a chance to compare with a gen). With the Black Steel and my modded PAM 28, my darkside needs are satisfied. I would have it on my wrist if it wasn't on it's way to Rob as we speak.

I picked up many new and used swiss 7750 movements that have been apart of many mod projects, it's funny how relatively inexpensive they were only a few years ago. I'm sure you picked up some nice deals in the past too, so it may not be as expensive of a project...plus you have a dealer rebate coming your way.

dave :victory:

$800 I think would be a fair value assuming the relume went well and the movement functions as new.

For $750 I would likely be a buyer which is why $800 is probably a fair price that would sell.

I have a couple of Swiss 7750 rep watches, if you like the watch the movement upgrade is worth it

Cheers,

M

Go for it kruzer. If you're already getting credit for the broken movt then the price of the Blacksteel works out to be less and the S7750 that you're putting in probably cost far less than they fetch today then it's really just a matter of the cost of getting it lumed (which will fix any off center lume dots) and getting the mvt installed. Like others have said I probably wouldn't go buy a new V2 BS and pay $500 for the mvt to do it but if you already have everything in hand then it's a no brainer. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. My conclusion based on everyone's input is the following. Since I already have one which works perfectly with the Asian movement (as you will recall the primary mission is to avoid dealing with shipping back to China) I should build the Swiss version. If I can't get my money out of the Swiss version I just sell the perfectly good Asian and keep the Swiss since the Blacksteel is worthy of a Swiss movement. If the Swiss does sell I just keep the perfectly good Asian one. :)