When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Price of gen

debil

Hi,

I am new here. This is a wonderful site. I learned here a lot. After reading here I decided to start collecting watches. I want to buy couple of gen and a lot of reps.

What would be a general rule regarding the price of gen watch one should buy. For example the engagement ring should be 2-3 monthly salary. Are there any rules like this for watches? I would appreciate any suggestions.

I would like to get very good dress watch first, but for the price I can affort. It is like buying car. Most of us dream about ideal car, but often we have to get what we can afford. I understand cars. So can you give me an idea what kind of gen watch should get guy driving Honda civic vs guy driving Lamborghini? And anything in between.

Thank you.

Hi,

I am new here. This is a wonderful site. I learned here a lot. After reading here I decided to start collecting watches. I want to buy couple of gen and a lot of reps.

What would be a general rule regarding the price of gen watch one should buy. For example the engagement ring should be 2-3 monthly salary. Are there any rules like this for watches? I would appreciate any suggestions.

I would like to get very good dress watch first, but for the price I can affort. It is like buying car. Most of us dream about ideal car, but often we have to get what we can afford. I understand cars. So can you give me an idea what kind of gen watch should get guy driving Honda civic vs guy driving Lamborghini? And anything in between.

Thank you.

That rule about an engagement ring should being worth 2-3 times your monthly salary was invented by the marketing folks at deBeers. Consider the fact that naturally occurring diamonds are rather common and the price is artificially set to high levels due to cartel pricing. So on a wider scale, you might want to give that some thought.

Regarding your question though, it is like what a rich person (e.g. rap star) would wear compared to a wealthy person (the key investors of the recoding company).

That said, a guy driving a Lamborghini would wear something equally ridiculously ostentatious and impractical. He is pretty insecure, and wants the world to know he has money. He was probably poor and came across such money in a short period of time. Money has little meaning or value. He'd probably wear an AP ROO Shaq edition with the diamonds on the bezel, or 3-4 watches at once like Maradona or the nouveaux-riche in Moscow or Shanghai.

The guy driving a civic would wear something practical and good value for money. He might be just an average joe, or he could be the boss of his own company with a net worth of 6-7 digits. He knows he is wealthy but knows there is no need to flaunt it. He has worked hard and knows the value of money. He probably sees no point in such ostentation. He'd probably wear a timex, or maybe a seiko. If he is meeting clients he'd probably slap on a Brietling or low key Patek.

Reminds me of the parking lots I see here sometimes. The employees drive their Aston Martins and Ferraris. The upper echelons drive their Camry or Mercedes.

Edited by monkeypie

That said, a guy driving a Lamborghini would wear something equally ridiculously ostentatious and impractical. He is pretty insecure, and wants the world to know he has money. He was probably poor and came across such money in a short period of time. Money has little meaning or value. He'd probably wear an AP ROO Shaq edition with the diamonds on the bezel, or 3-4 watches at once like Maradona or the nouveaux-riche in Moscow or Shanghai.

:rofl:

The guy driving a civic would wear something practical and good value for money. He might be just an average joe, or he could be the boss of his own company with a net worth of 6-7 digits. He knows he is wealthy but knows there is no need to flaunt it. He has worked hard and knows the value of money. He probably sees no point in such ostentation. He'd probably wear a timex, or maybe a seiko. If he is meeting clients he'd probably slap on a Brietling or low key Patek.

Couldn't be any more true. But that said, there are hobbyists, similar to ourselves, that will go out on a watch or car that they like. For example, the civic driver could be a WIS and wear a PP whilst the Lambo driver might not care about what's on their wrist and wear a Tag or similar.

My rule of thumb is to take 2-3 months of any wife, daughters' and mistress's credit card expenditure.

Divide by a thousand.

That's the amount they expect you to spend on a watch.

Take the same amount and multiply by a five hundred thousand to discover how much they plan to spend on shoes and handbags.

:animal_rooster:

My rule of thumb is to take 2-3 months of any wife, daughters' and mistress's credit card expenditure.

Divide by a thousand.

That's the amount they expect you to spend on a watch.

Take the same amount and multiply by a five hundred thousand to discover how much they plan to spend on shoes and handbags.

:animal_rooster:

:rofl:

Two G5's actually. But he did use the car to get from one hangar to the other...

Rob...how many times do we have to tell you not to post pics of the pool-boy's car without his permission???? Just for that...you have to fly commercial airlines for 1 WHOLE week to get to your Maldives weekend house.

As to rules? Buy what you want and can afford. I totally agree about diamond pricing and De Beers cartel price fixing. I had friends in the high tech sector who used to laugh at "jewell" diamonds as they were working with synthetics for industrial purposes that were MASSIVE, and completely flawless without the marketing cache that De Beers would attach to price them like "rare" gemstones. Nothing shows pricing in accordance to supply and demand like Weapons Grade Plutonium.

I understand you guys.

So I will stick to what I like and will not be a financial burden. :D

I am thinking of Breguet 5707 or 3130. I see that on some web sites it is much chipper then MSRP. Do you know which sites would be safe? Does anyone has any experience with luxlux.com ?

Thank you.

Nice, great insight and I could not have said it better!

With things in this thread being said, a watch can be your chance to express yourself, your taste, and some of your values.

Let that be your guide more so than the price. The value to you it's what's important, not necessarily the month's worth of wages.

Like the engagement ring...I don't think I could put a set amount on that.

To me, the right woman would be priceless, so if I had to make payments my whole life it would be worth it to me.

;)