When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vacheron Constantin: a vintage watch I have been offered

Stephane

well they're one of the oldest if not the oldest known swiss companies built upon excellence.

i think they are also one of the few who have several geneva seal movements.

don't know much about this particular model, but personally i like it. what is the case size?

a VC for a thousand euros? not bad buddy

vak.jpg

^^ look similar but your hands are "fancy".

hmm i wouldn't be surprised if it was made in the 20's 30's. Given the apparent case size and the ear it was in, it could have possibly been a pocket watch.

the watch seems to be in very fine condition for the age though, don't you think?

There is a lot of "fantasy" old watch that was pocket watch and are transformed to wrist one.

This is hard to evaluate if it's not a real model. The movement worth is fair share of money, but beside that, if it's fantasy...

How many wrist watch was that big in the 20-30s ?..

There is a lot of "fantasy" old watch that was pocket watch and are transformed to wrist one.

This is hard to evaluate if it's not a real model. The movement worth is fair share of money, but beside that, if it's fantasy...

How many wrist watch was that big in the 20-30s ?..

Well some people knowing I like watches come to me with "exceptional" pieces...

The guy who came to me with this one is not that "type" of man.

But still, I'm more than convinced this is a "franken".

So unless the mvt is worth the money, I don't see myself going for it...

I don't know...maybe its a bargain...but then again...VC + 1920's = 1000 euros...something doesn't fit...so unless you have the ability to take it to a VC service center or a watchmaker who really knows...

This is my personal pov though,i dont mean to affect you in any way.

Thanks for listening to my opinion

John

Ok been doing a bit of searching around and although the dial layout is very similar to a vintage Patrimony I think the size, hands and movement suggests that it is indeed a converted pocket watch.

However this is not a bad thing as VC pocket watches range from about $3000 to way up.

I have been looking at vintage VC movements and the further you go back the more they resemble the movement in the watch you show.

Now this is where I go way in over my head, I'm guessing the movement in that watch to be somewhere in the middle 1800's

Definitely worth taking to an AD for checking out.

Ken

PS I think it's a minute repeater pocket watch

I have seen similar on the Bay go for well less than 1,000 Euros. You can also find similar movements alone for $500 US.

There are several variations, but they are usually recased pocket watch movements, and based on this case/lug design I'd guess this one is closer to 47mm in size. The hands are quite elegant IMO and might push the value up a little, but I think you'd be overpaying at 1,000 Euros.