When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

so are there lots of rep seikos?

cableguy

Yes, there are plenty of rep Seikos out there.

I see them frequently.

That one is probably legit however. Not because anyone can identify a rep from such a photo, but because the seller has +82000 deals, and is still around!

The best and quickest tell, is like everything else, a movement shot.

The fake Seikos run Chinese (and other) movements. So if you are seriously concerned about that one, ask the seller for a movement shot, of the watch you want to buy. Probably won't help much, except to put your mind at ease, but worth asking.

I would have thought that model could be bought over the counter after "negotiation" for under $200 anyway, so maybe pay the extra, for the peace of mind, a warranty etc.

You will find that a Seiko from O/S will possibly not be warranted in your country, and parts become a prob.. sometimes.

It may not even be a model released in your country!

I frequently have parts probs here in Oz, and Seiko's 1st response is usually, "That wasn't an Australian release model"

At times, "cheap" can actually be "dear"

Offshore

Why would a factory make a rep of a Seiko?

:huh:

How much profit can there actually be in repping a gen watch that costs $120 to buy from Wallmart? You'd have to sell it for $10 retail?

lol

If you're gunna break the law, you may as well go for it and rep something good :)

Anything to make a buck i guess

How much profit can there actually be in repping a gen watch that costs $120 to buy from Wallmart? You'd have to sell it for $10 retail?

lol

If you're gunna break the law, you may as well go for it and rep something good :)

@diz,

Couldn't agree more, however we need to understand, that there are copies, especially quartz, that are being wholesaled at well under U$1. I was offered some quartz (not copies) recently for U$0.10c! Seriously....

FFS I pay more than that for a battery, and these were complete (absolute crap....... nevertheless running quartz watches)

So whatever brand finally appears on the dial, we know that they can be put together VERY cheaply.

And there are mechanicals, which can be purchased (in quantity) @ U$5 or better. I don't care what people say about the "going" price for a mech movement, they must be offered in quantity to the volume factories, at very low $ amounts.

(Probably accounts for the lack of QC everyone is on about :rolleyes: )

These things must be sold in there 1000000's on the tourist strips in Asia, cos I have had hundreds shown to me by punters looking for a repair... which is obviously not going to happen! And these same punters, regularly, when told the watch is DOA, just say, 'Oh well you keep it for parts" and walk away. So they don't place much value in the "timepiece" either.

Could go on about this ad nauseum....however I have much evidence, which says a lot of mech copy watches are wholesale @ sub U$5, and quartz are close to U$1. (And if someone wants them, I have about 200 absolute crap quartz which run- but fall apart, which I would sell at my cost.... A$ 1.00- thats like 0.65c US... however the freight would always kill the deal!)

Offshore

Saw a guy at a trade show selling fake quartz seikos for $8 and automatic seiko '5' for $12 including box and 'warranty papers' (plated cases). He gave me a box of fake seiko bracelet parts just to get rid of them.

Steel automatic unsigned panerai look-alikes were $8 and signed models were $12...all on rubber straps.

Steel replica mens and lady DJ with jubilee or oyster were $18 in a "blowout" sale (regular price was $32).

No warranty. =@

^ hence me not wanting one and making sure i would get the real deal haha...

now that Offshore mentions it.... I was in Japan last year and was looking at Seikos in the tourist areas and one of the guys had mentioned "made in china" i wonder if he was tryign to tell me it was a fake?

Offshore will tell you guys I have nothing against Seiko. A good watch is a good watch regardless of who makes it or what powers it.

You wanna see Seiko reps? Go HERE There's thousands of them! If you're tempted don't buy there, they charge far too much. Dealers here such as Hont can get them for you a lot cheaper. A good quartz is a hell of a lot more than 100 bucks BTW. Try buying a Bvulgari Carbon Gold for that! Even a top of the range Seiko is near a grand. A quartz Tag can be two or more Stateside, four and a half here so there is still a considerable saveing buying a rep.

Col.

PS: Yes Offshore it's still running. :thumbs:

Edited by trailboss

lol

First, there are lots of fake SEIKOs indeed.

Second, they don't sell it for $10 or anything near this. They sell it for almost the same price (few bucks lower to make you believe it's a bargain) as the genuines using pics of genuines and sending to you the fake.

Specifically about eBay, i 've read lots of reports from people who ordered SKX007s just to receive SKX0000000007WhateverYouWantNameItHere...

The sellers were often power sellers and the pictures they used were of genuine pieces.

If you check SEIKO related forums you will find reports as those i describe above.