When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Um...huh? JC Penney SD rep?

ifeveri

THis is a URL for a page on the JC Penney site. I'm a n00b, so sorry if this is a silly post...

http://tinyurl.com/c2o6cw

It's an Invicta brand watch, but it's pretty obviously meant to be a SD rep w. different branding. I wasn't surprised when I first saw it, but it's even got an automatic movement. When I saw the page I was sure it would be quartz, but no. Of course, comapred to the rep's on here that folks work so hard to produce it's utter crap, but it just struck me funny that it even existed. Is this common?

Quite on the contrary, I think this watch is very nice with a $100 price tag compared to many of out reps in the same price range.

With the cyclops, I would say it's more of a submariner than a sea dweller.

The quality control of Invicta I would imagine is at least present in some form or another. That cannot be said for many dropshipped products.

Also, Invicta provides a warranty for their watches as well.

How many times have you read a person on this forum has had a malfunction with their movement?

It would not be cost effective for Invicta to provide service to all of their watches if they were having similar quality control issues.

As far as styling, many of the modern watches that you find in department stores use designs from the more expensive, older companies in some form or another.

Go to a jeweler that does not sell Breitlng, Rolex, etc but still has $500-1000 watches. You will see that these designs will have you thinking "oh, that one looks like a datejust, or that's a jubilee style bracelet, or that one looks like a montebrilliant dial" etc.

also, you can find a $12 submariner looking wathc at walmart as well.

Edited by CharlieUK

Quite on the contrary, I think this watch is very nice with a $100 price tag compared to many of out reps in the same price range.

With the cyclops, I would say it's more of a submariner than a sea dweller.

The quality control of Invicta I would imagine is at least present in some form or another. That cannot be said for many dropshipped products.

Also, Invicta provides a warranty for their watches as well.

How many times have you read a person on this forum has had a malfunction with their movement?

It would not be cost effective for Invicta to provide service to all of their watches if they were having similar quality control issues.

Of course you're right...I was thinking of the sub when I posted that...just had a n00b brain fart.

Also, when I said that it's crap, I meant with regard to replicating a Rolex re: the appearance. I have no doubt that it's a fine watch for barely over $100...and probably a perfectly good way for someone to dip a toe in the water of automatic watches w/o spending a fortune. Heck, maybe I'll get one and report on it :)

Invicta actually got called down by Rolex for copying the 'coin edge' bezel a few years ago. So most of their watches have the new bezel like the one shown. But you still see the 8926 from time to time offered with the coin edge bezel. About $10-15 more than the regular 8926. The miyota movement is great, and this is quite a good beater for the $100+ price tag. PMWF has a write-up on this watch.

Of course you're right...I was thinking of the sub when I posted that...just had a n00b brain fart.

Also, when I said that it's crap, I meant with regard to replicating a Rolex re: the appearance. I have no doubt that it's a fine watch for barely over $100...and probably a perfectly good way for someone to dip a toe in the water of automatic watches w/o spending a fortune. Heck, maybe I'll get one and report on it :)

lol, that's quite ok!

apologies, I totally misunderstood your post!

I have recommended this watch to my brother who cares not much of watches, but could use a decent watch in the $100 price range.

Alligoat, I was curious as to why the Invicta coin edge bezels had been replaced with the Omega style ones, thanks for the info!

The sub/omega morph makes me think of Alien Resurrection...

invictadiverwatch1qx8.jpg alien4nm8.jpg

see the resemblance? :)

Edited by CharlieUK

Isn't it a little disingenuous to talk about scruples re: copying watches on a replica watch forum? Just sayin'...

Why would that be?

Our hobby is quite openly replica watches, Invicta are supposed to be a reputable brand name in themselves.

Ken

I have recommended this watch to my brother who cares not much of watches, but could use a decent watch in the $100 price range.

I'm with you on this Charlie. I got my nephew one (8926) and a friend I scuba dive with has the ladies version- tested fine to 100 ft. She liked it so well, we got her daughter the quartz version- on sale for like $60. They've really been pretty good watches.

The real issue is like most "brands" Invicta is just a name, there is no way you might say from across the room "Say, is that the new Invicta?"

Real brands are recognized by their individual features, no mistaking a Bell+Ross or a Pan!! Problem will Rolex is everyone assumes its a rep even if its gen unless you scream money. Pity really.

I used to have a few Invictas years ago. I don't remember the exact model numbers, but I had this black steel Sub copy, and then I had a two-tone Sub copy... both had the Rolex type bezel... not this new one.

The quality was questionable... the crown just popped out on the another one when I normally hacked the seconds hand. That had an Asian movement... I think I threw it away as it was only something like $85. The two-tone version was nicer, it had a ETA. I'd say the quality was about the same as the best reps we have... maybe not as good as something like SFSO but it was ok.

I believe the same Chinese factories make both reps and these Invictas, Alphas and other "homage brands". Alphas are really wild watches... for $40 you'll get an automatic Rolex-like watch.

Here is an article of a Alpha GMT.

The price difference to genuine is a whoppin' $5950. :tu:

Beautiful! A watch that can fool both Rolex and Omega owners at once! :p

I hate these sort of shameless ripoffs, but I guess it sells watches. Trying to be objective, I find that watch kind of unrefined, very exaggerated features in and of itself. Ultimately I would rather spend less money on a Noobmariner that get that Invicta.

While I'm not a big fan of the design, or Invicta in general as a rep.. er... I mean "homage" maker...HOWEVER

You have to look at that review on WUS, and think - here is a "swiss made" watch with warranty and a "swiss made" 2824 clone (not an asian copy) and it's going for little more than the super reps.

Makes you wonder...