When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What To do?

watchlover1

Members

I have sold a few watches on this forum since I joined in Dec 2008 and no complaints.

I sold a Watch in January to a fellow Member that was scheduled to arrived no later than 1/16/09. The watch was in perfect condition but did run a little fast which was mentioned in the sale. I received a PM today 1/28/09 mentioning that the watch is not working. I am not able to return the watch back to the original dealer because I have not been able to get in tough with him for some time. I assume he is out of business.

I packaged it up well but I assume this was damaged in the mail.

My question is How should this be handled? This is the first time I sold a watch that was DOA and not brought to my attention immediately.

I myself would put that at fault of the buyer since he didn't contact you within 48 hours of it being received. You should have laid out any return/warranties before it was sold to have avoided this problem, since now it's his word versus yours.

Like I stated, based on the facts, I would put that at the buyers fault. However, since you failed to mention any agreements that you made with him when he purchased it, it could really go either way. You could give him the refund to show that you are a good businessman or you could refuse it to show that people can't get away with messing up a watch and then blaming it on being DOA.

In the future, be sure to lay these plans out. It will save you the hassle in the future. Treat transactions as you would a professional business. Good luck.

Thanks - Funny you mention return/warranties most of the stuff being sold by members do not mention anything about this. I have bought 5 watches from other RWG members and never once was return policies and warranties mentioned.

Well it's just to protect yourself as well as the buyer. Like I mentioned, treat it like a business. You are exchanging money and seeing that the item can be damaged since it goes through a medium to get to the buyer, it's the safest way to avoid trouble.

In my opinion, when shipping items, you shouldn't ship it like the other dealers do. Ship it in a small box and fill the entire box so that it's solid. Ive lost item contents because the packages weren't "filled" so that left it easier to be abused when it went through the packaging system. Even if it costs shipping a little bit more, it leaves you with confidence.

Have you decided what avenue you are going to take? If it was me, I would learn from my mistake and refund him, but that's just me. It's a tough lesson, but it's better late then never. Probably easier said than done though since I dont know the value of the watch lol.

I totally understand where you are coming from. The watch was packaged in bubble wrap, put in a small box and mailed in a padded envelope.

Even though I was not notified right away I understand that this is a hobby and we all take risks and trust one another so I will be refunding the money. I will also let the member keep the watch since I have no use for it and cannot return to the dealer.

Thanks for your help.

I totally understand where you are coming from. The watch was packaged in bubble wrap, put in a small box and mailed in a padded envelope.

Even though I was not notified right away I understand that this is a hobby and we all take risks and trust one another so I will be refunding the money. I will also let the member keep the watch since I have no use for it and cannot return to the dealer.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks watchlover1 for the kind remarks.

I appreciate what you are doing, that makes a big impact on who does business with you. It makes you more reputable and other customers will be confident to do business with you. And you let him keep the watch? Not even the dealers do that!

Thanks for sharing your problem as it should help a lot of other sellers. Youre great! Don't forget to cover your warranties and returns before you seal the deal.

I would also like to kindly suggest that you have him leave a comment about you in the Other Dealers section. More people need dealers like you!

Thanks

My Service and Reputation is everything.

Refund has been issued to the member

Transfer to:

xxxxxx

Email:

xxxxxxxxx

Total Amount:

-$175.00 USD

Fee:

$5.38 USD

Total:

-$169.62 USD

Date:

Jan. 28, 2009

Time:

21:14:45 EST

Completed

Subject:

You have sent $169.62 USD to xxxxxxxx with PayPal

Note:

I have been in sales for a long time and also a partner in another business. My Service and Reputation is very important to me. Here is the refund for the transaction. Please keep the product since I have no use for it.

Thanks

Thanks for your help.

Realize I dont have the complete details and picture....But I guess I am wondering why the watch needs to go back to a dealer/or declared a loss rather than repaired? Maybe some of that cost could be divided? I think that is the path I would prefer to pursue, personally. For all you know, he wore it for a full week while operating a jackhammer....just presenting another point of view....I think thats quite a bit of time to call foul on a trade without having some skin in the game. As far as taking risks with one another, it sounds like there's no sharing of risk in this case. Your are quite a gentleman; definite karma points in your bank.

Ok I too am missing some pieces of this story.

@Watchlover1 exactly why would this watch go back to the dealer?

If your original post was to question whether the buyer had the watch too long to expect a refund then surely you, who would have had it for a whole lot longer, would not expect a refund from your dealer?

Ken

Think you've gone over and above here.

1. Have the watch returned - refund your customer full amount - all happy. Be sure to brunt all shipping costs.

2. You can't go back to Dealer as you have said, whilst in your possesion and from when supplied by dealer all in working order - all good, Dealer has fulfilled his side of the deal.

Regardless of what it is for 165 USD surley just get the watch repaired for a few $$ then resell with confirmation of a full working piece

^^ then everyone happy.

Peace.

:D

Thank you all for the feedback and support

The buyer had asked the question about sending it bac kto the dealer. Bottom Line that was not an option.

This is the first time something like this has happened to me with a transaction. Lesson learned and from now on with all future transactions I will SPELL it out.

I am waiting to hear back from the buyer on the refund. I will keep you all posted.

Thanks

My Service and Reputation is everything.

Refund has been issued to the member

Transfer to:

xxxxxx

Email:

xxxxxxxxx

Total Amount:

-$175.00 USD

Fee:

$5.38 USD

Total:

-$169.62 USD

Date:

Jan. 28, 2009

Time:

21:14:45 EST

Completed

Subject:

You have sent $169.62 USD to xxxxxxxx with PayPal

Note:

I have been in sales for a long time and also a partner in another business. My Service and Reputation is very important to me. Here is the refund for the transaction. Please keep the product since I have no use for it.

Thanks

Pure class, bro B):1a::good:

Always leave the arena with your haed up high.

Good solution and lessons learned for next time cleary state your terms and conditions ( i never did either or ask for them before i bought something <_< )

Carpe Diem

Cats

So much for being Mr. Nice Guy.

I sent PMs and emails letting the member know I refunded his money and asked for him to confirm.

Never heard back.

You just refunded him yesterday...not everybody is in front of a computer every day all day...give him a chance.

Nice job re: the refund by the way. That's what I'd do every time.