When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's on your "radar", and what you want replicated in 2009?

By-Tor

I purchased only a few new watches in 2008... traded some too.

Right now I have a pleasant problem: There's not even one single watch I really want... I feel my collection is somewhat "finished". Been feeling this way for a while now. I'm enjoying my collection and this hobby more than ever though. In these circles "finished" doesn't always mean "completely done"... we can always rotate one or two watches and get the replacements of course, but there are no more watches that I'd absolutely want to have.

Strange how much I've been attracted to Rolex lately. Actually I have all my "dream Rollies" already. Gens or super reps. So the only really tempting Rolex for me is the upcoming WM9 16660 Seadweller... but since I have the WM9 v2 supreme black Steel Sub now, I think I can live without the 16660. They're so similar in appearance anyway. WM9 Yachtie is superb replication... but since I've owned a good (Noob) rep Yachtie I can pretty safely say that it's not a watch for me.

Omega hasn't released any new "must have" models lately. I traded my UPO long time ago (actually it was after I got my SFSO) and now I have the "itch" for it again. A member was selling his UPO with Chief AR and black rubber strap and it looked very hot. That would mean trading my SFSO for it... since I promised that I will NOT break the 10 watch limit... otherwise I can't control the addiction. :D So black UPO with 2xAR x rubber strap... maybe... if a nice trade mysteriously comes up somewhere. :tu:

Another watch that I lust after is the good old TAG Link... but not the old model that I used to have (and reviewed)... but the "brushed" version, which doesn't suffer from the reflective dial that much. There's something special about the Link bracelet that does it for me.

So if I'm purchasing anything at all in 2009, I'll be pretty much re-buying my old watches back. This, of course, unless something irresistable comes out. What these watches could be... hmm, let's see...

The ones you want replicated... the annual "I want/gossip" section

1. More EBEL BTR's. This watch really has impressed me. Lovin' my white Discovery Chrono, and it might be the best and most accurate replica ever. They can never replicate the complications, but how about this GMT:

Ebel-1215624.jpg

As you know I love almost all watches with the 4th hand, and I'd probably have a hard time resisting this one.

This is another Ebel that I always wanted to be replicated: Classic two-tone 1911 chronograph. This would be the perfect dress watch. I think Ebel stopped using El Primero at this point and used just the basic Tricompax 7750. The spacing looks very 7750 to me. I dunno why I like this model so much, I just do... pure, classic 40mm design with that case shape maybe? It's "clean", simple and beautiful... and the design beats Daytona and Speedmaster with ease (imho). This watch would be SO amazing and a dream-come-true in many ways. I'm not holding my breath though.

2900.jpg

2. More Zeniths:

No, not the ugly (or at least tacky) modern Zeniths... but the classic Flyback Rainbow. This watch is SO "me". I wouldn't mind wrong subdial spacing, either. Just replicate this damn watch!

02-0480-405-24-1.JPG

3. Vintage GMT 1675

Well yeah... we all know that the factories can't make the vintages right... not even remotely right. This wouldn't even have the "hand stack" issue... but yeah I know the drill... "No, we're Chinese, we can't use these thousands of Web reference pictures and do this very simple watch properly, we have to screw it up completely... we have to write OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE on the dial, use oversized crown, completely wrong looking case... we don't want to make a lot of money and sell this HUGELY POPULAR model at all, etc." But I'll post this again anyway... like I've posted it every year.

rolex_gmt.jpg

Okay... post your suggestions and the watches you're thinking about buying in the next 12 months. Don't be shy. :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I've begged for for months now:

(pictures not mine)

IWC Mark XVI: the perfect casual watch

iwcv2415025mr.jpg

Vintage Omega Seamaster 300

Omega_Seamaster_300_013.jpg

Patek Calatrava

A good Seamaster pro case, with all its variants (crown guards, crown guards, crown guards!)

smp12.jpg

369px-Omega-Seamaster-2531.jpg

An ultimate 42mm PO (the ideal proportions)

2901-50-91_2.jpg

I couldn't even afford to get all these reps if they were made, but I hope at least one can be.

Hey those are great suggestions. Completely forgot about the 42mm UPO thing... would be awesome.

I have my old Bond Seamaster and while it's not perfect it's pretty satisfactory (for me). The bracelet on these old versions is way superior. If I manage to find a gen insert for this, I'd be even happier.

77a.jpg

Hey those are great suggestions. Completely forgot about the 42mm UPO thing... would be awesome.

I have my old Bond Seamaster and while it's not perfect it's pretty satisfactory (for me). The bracelet on these old versions is way superior. If I manage to find a gen insert for this, I'd be even happier.

Doesnt Ofrei have gen inserts for Omega?

-tazz

I'm a fan of the no-date Sub too. My old man has a 14060.

Very clean and cool... and keep in mind, the original Subs didn't have nonsense like the date display. :D

77a.jpg

Send me the case ref info...... ;)

I have my eye on just a few gens and as usual would love to see some reps to see if it really is love or fleeting lust...

I hear there are some new more accurate DD's coming. I have my eye on a 36MM with a roman glacier dial. I hope in the new run they wil finally do a color accurate version of that dial which isn't so turquoise. I want to be sure I love it before I pull the trigger on a platinum watch as if I don't really love that dial I would just get a white gold version or keep my DJ...

Iceblue.jpg

I would like to see a Vintage Jubilee Aquatimer done, although the movement would never be right...

jubileeAT.jpg

I would like to see the new regulat AT's done. I wonder if Josh will preorder something from that line and get it in the pipeline for a 1:1. And I would add that I hope they do a non-chrono version this time...

ml_image_952046.jpg

In fact, I would like to request that a new non-chrono movement get propped up so we can kill this ETA nonsense. I'm rooting for the 2892 clone. Imagine all the cool watches we could have with that - especially if they start doing modules for complictions with them. I know, wishful thinking, but imagine if we could have something like a Breguet Marine watch. I'll take either the chrono or the non-chrono - although I would like to see more non-chrono watches this year. I think the proportion of A7750 watches has been a bit much lately. That said, I prefer the chrono version for this particular watch...

5827bb-12-9z8.jpg

Finally, I would love to see the VC Partimony traditionelle in WG get done as that one will probably be my next gen. In know the movement will never be right but who cares. I'm sill torn between that and a 5120 Calatrava though, but the VC has the edge...

VCtraditionelle4.jpg

Since this came out there is a new handwind with seconds at 6 that I like better. The former would be the better rep for movement reasons though and unfortunately, the handwind just came out at SIHH and I don't have a pic in WG for that version yet...

sihhvc2.jpg

I would like to see the new regulat AT's done. I wonder if Josh will preorder something from that line and get it in the pipeline for a 1:1. And I would add that I hope they do a non-chrono version this time...

ml_image_952046.jpg

I agree. I LOVE that non chrono blue-black one...that is outstanding!!

I would also go simple...and I know this will never happen...but I would love to see a Ladies Omega Seamaster...even in quartz...I don't care. Why not a classic sports watch for women??

5840864.jpg

I have my eye on just a few gens and as usual would love to see some reps to see if it really is love or fleeting lust...

I hear there are some new more accurate DD's coming. I have my eye on a 36MM with a roman glacier dial. I hope in the new run they wil finally do a color accurate version of that dial which isn't so turquoise. I want to be sure I love it before I pull the trigger on a platinum watch as if I don't really love that dial I would just get a white gold version or keep my DJ...

Iceblue.jpg

I agree, it's a great looking watch. But I simply can't wear a watch that small.

I understand that the gen full gold version is much heavier and feels more substantial, but man... it's a small watch. I might check the DD2 eventually. The DD looked great on my lady though... and I really liked the turquoise dial, inaccurate or not. :)

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

Another dress watch that I really like is Omega AT. Quite underrated watch and it has the classic lines.

I just did some reading on the IWC Deep Two and realized it would probably never get repped because like your UN GMT, the complication of it will never get done. Apparently the extra ring gauge on the Deep Two (aka IW354701) is a mechanical depth gauge. The rep factories will never rep this function. HOWEVER...I think in faux form it would still be great.

It's a big watch though...46mm x 15.5mm...not as thick as a Skyland, but slightly wider!