When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the "Perfect Roles Sub" really perfect?

Prsist

Even the premium WM9 subs are not perfect, good but not perfect. Lots of reaserch and reading are required on this subject to find what faults you can live with and what you cant, oftern small faults but fault non the less.

I'm a newbie and just bought an asian auto SD, just to see how things go. I'd like to pick up a Sub, DeepSea, and Seamaster. I just want a watch that looks close to the gen. And doesn't stop after 3 months. I'm not gonna mod or cry if the crown gap isn't like the gen. Just want the look and durability. Any quick thoughts? Any idea how long shipping takes from China?

I'm a newbie and just bought an asian auto SD, just to see how things go. I'd like to pick up a Sub, DeepSea, and Seamaster. I just want a watch that looks close to the gen. And doesn't stop after 3 months. I'm not gonna mod or cry if the crown gap isn't like the gen. Just want the look and durability. Any quick thoughts? Any idea how long shipping takes from China?

As FxrAndy says...research. Go through the site, use the site functionality and do some homework. Figure out how much you're willing to spend, and what faults you can live with, and go with that. And to add to what FM said...the perfect sub sits at an AD and will cost you no less than $4000 or more. Read some reviews and get educated but be forewarned...bring a snack because it can take a long.

Shipping from China is relative to your chosen dealer. I've had packages magically arrive from China-US in 3 days after order. Sometimes others could take 6 weeks or more. Fast shipping doesn't always equate to better product and vice versa.

Most rep subs sold by the dealers on this board are good enough to serve the purpose as an every day watch and look close to the real deal. As mentioned there is no "perfect" Sub rep, only degrees of flaws. You have been given good advice by some good members and you should start to research the different models available. "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...teach him how to fish and you feed him for life." I know it is more convenient for you to have your question answered outright but this is a topic that can get newbies rudely introduced to the rep boards. You can discover who has the best sub for yourself if you use the search function and while doing so you can become a sub expert. To answer your question directly I like the Noob Sub for the price it is available at. Other members have different favorites. Also, my standard for acceptable flaws may be different than yours so I recommend you do some research. Cheers and welcome aboard :)

I am not a sub expert, and I agree with every word said by the respected members about doing some reading and research. But to be practical, I think that according to the specifications you mentioned the "Noobmariner" can serve you for a long time with a look close enough to the gen. Of course, it is a great price. Just don't try to fool rolex experts.

I am not a sub expert, and I agree with every word said by the respected members about doing some reading and research. But to be practical, I think that according to the specifications you mentioned the "Noobmariner" can serve you for a long time with a look close enough to the gen. Of course, it is a great price. Just don't try to fool rolex experts.

On this subject - something I perhaps have thought about but never dared to ask.... Are there any reps out there which would fool a Rolex expert (if not allowed to open it up and not placing it next to a gen)?

Fool an 'expert'? It depends on the level of expertise. Some people here are truly experts in their field and even they disagree sometimes as to weather a watch is gen or not. Why would you want to fool people anyway?

Thanks for all the info! I've already spent many a late night on the site and look forward to many more!

Fool an 'expert'? It depends on the level of expertise. Some people here are truly experts in their field and even they disagree sometimes as to weather a watch is gen or not. Why would you want to fool people anyway?

I don't want to fool anyone - on the contrary rather. I just think that's an interesting question. Are the reps so good nowadays that there is so little telling them apart from a gen that even a "Rolex expert" can't tell?

My first rep ever was sometime 1990 (Gold Rolex) and everyone in the world could tell it was a fake.

The closest thing you will find to an "expert" will be found here and on other watch forums, not usually at AD's if that is what you mean.

Two answers to your question really - no and no again. First, there is no rep made that is going to fool someone intimately familiar with the Sub here or on gen forums with a close look at the watch. Second, no rep will fool anyone once the caseback comes off. So mo matter who is looking at it and in what regard the answer is no.

That said, if you rephrase the question to something like asking whether our best reps can pass as gens on the wrist even if an "expert" was standing next to you the answer may very well be yes. At a body length distance the WM9, Noob, and I'm sure many other replications are indistinguishable from the gen...

And to the OP, the answer is no to your question. The "perfect" Sub is not perfect and is not really in the running for being a "best" version at this point. At one time it probably was I suppose but not now. Read up on what the old schoolers like and you will find out which models are considered the best at the moment and what their flaws are - because they all have them. Happy hunting and BTW, we aren't being sarcastic when we say you have to read. You just do. The wealth of info here is staggering and once you get more involved you will see what we mean. There are just too many subjectives. But then again, search and read and you will find the best Sub for your criteria. It is here and it is amazing.

But you just have to narrow it down to a few on your own and earn the knowledge so you have a better understanding of what this hobby is about. When you do, you will then also discover which flaws you personally can live with and which you can't. As and example sone if us (like me) are mental about date font position and magnification, etc., and other could care less about that and care more about bezel teeth shape. Others are wacky for dial print accuracy and others still want the bezel insert and pearl to be perfect. There is going to be something innacurate with all of them, but as you can see we can't help you as you have to learn and apply it to what you care about. Right now you don't even know probably what all those items differences are and what they even look like to you. See what we mean? So pull up a chair and welcome to the insanity of micro mechanics brother!

True, and most of the time the guy who calls your replica submariner out as a fake! is the same guy who calls your genuine submariner a fake too. Out in the Real World where very few can tell and jealousy abounds, almost everyone assumes rolex watches are fake, especially submariners.

I doubt anyone can tell a franken sapphire crystal DJ with genuine case, crown, dial, date wheel, high grade steel/gold bracelet, genuine hoods/clasp, and Eta movement (with greased rotor bearing) from a 100% genuine DJ of the same model without setting it or removing the caseback.

...or spot a real good 100% replica steel DJ with no genuine parts from 6 feet away.

I bet if you go into a rolex AD and buy a new submariner, wait a few days and go back in the store wearing a noob submariner...they will greet you like a long lost friend and offer you a cappuccino just because they know you bought a genuine watch a few days ago. No one will suspect you are wearing a replica.

You go outside into the Real World...everyone assumes it's fake again.

As for me...I can't tell if someone is wearing a replica or not most of the time unless it's pretty bad.

Anyone I do not know asks me if my watch is fake...I say yes no matter what.

I assume they have already made up their mind it's fake...and it makes them feel smart.