When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ulysse Nardin MMD

lazarini

its not on the website?

i didn't think this was coming out till later this year

also, the rotor looks exactly like the gen - saw robbieg's last week, as opposed to the rep rotor on the new maxi chrono whic doen't have that big gold disc

fyi, the color of the rotor - the blue on the maxi out now, is very very close to the gen - robbie and i compared, but we forgot to shoot the photo sorry:(

I can't tell from the video but if it is a rep it would make sense as it is a 2006-2007 (not 2008) version of the limited edition (lead time I mean...). It is the Blue Surf Limited from Basel 2006They made it in two metals that year with 500 done in rose gold and 1846 being done is SS to celebrate the heritage. Usually they only do precious metals in these. So the rep would be accurate in that respect.

Another thing to be happy for is that there will be future accurate MMD's since they used a 2892 variant of some sort. The limited editions all have the entire movement treated with a special blue titanium alloy which is applied with an ion sputtering process. The result is that all the bridges, plates, rotor, etc. are blue.

I will check my sources to see if this is the lead out MMD, and in the meantime here is what the gen looks like...

c_wave_ss_back.jpg

un-marine-diver-1.jpg

un-marine-diver-2.jpg

un-marine-diver-3.jpg

un-marine-diver-4.jpg

un-marine-diver-5.jpg

If that is the alpha rep for the 1:1 MMD I'm again baffled why that one. I mean nothing against limiteds but the expense of getting one compared to a base model and the specifics of the dial, strap, movement finish just seems kind of prohibitive in so many ways. Plus there are a bunch of people that just don't love blue enough. The watch is amazing in person and I have spent time with it. I would love to own and photograph it for kicks but I wouldn't wear it realistically. At least when they started doing limiteds with the blue theme many years ago they used to be on steel bracelets and that toned down the blue overkill a bit. The rubber bracelets really push the colors over the edge.

Which reminds me, even the red/orange/yellow dials that many would never look at twice with the same color rubber look almost elegant on steel. I wasn't able to find anything but this but you get the idea. This is an older Limited Marine Aqua Perpetual piece in WG. Notice how much nicer it is on metal bracelet which makes the blue less of an assault and the overall look more elegant...

953705b7-08da-4df8-8474-a384b39dbad.jpg

if they go with sec at 6 7750 variation this means it will be a potential time bomb ... then again i was in AD on Saturday and played with the Gen i must say it made a huge impression on me... if things don't change in the future i just might consider the real deal.

the fit and finish of the MMD is amazing :wub:

laz

China is obsessed with the 7750. They would release a Patek Calatrava handwind with a 7750 and just take the rotor off if they thought they could sell a hundred of them. And no matter if the watch calls for it or not they will simulate flame bluing and paint every last screw in the movement on every watch as well...

wow, its amazing 3 of our dealers each bought the exact same model to be broken down and repped.

what a coincidence

I know funny huh Pho? It never stops...

BTW, to all the readers, Josh did not, nor does he claim to have purhcased an MMD 1846 for replication - but the MMD Chrono was his.

So now the question remains though. Which one of the dealers who claim to have bought the 1:1 alpha watch for the MMD is telling the truth? Someone lying in the replica world? Nah... :D

I'm betting it isn't even the Limited Edition for some reason, but maybe that is a good thing. And regarding Hont - is that a new video? If so then what is the gen doing in one piece if it is being repped. Or is it done? Or maybe it isn't even happening at all and he just borrowed the watch for a day? Where is Columbo we need him...

Daytona4me one of the admins on RWI and a respected member both there and here, mentioned some time ago that he is working on the development of a new movement with factories in China for a special project. He and Hont are quite close, from what I recall, he introduced Hont there as a dealer and taught him how to advertize his goods in a fair and honest way. I have a hunch that the dissection and replication of this MMD may well be that project. He also mentioned that the movements in our reps are ridiculously overpriced, as the new movement he is working on in conjunction with the factories is more complex than the current movements available, but on a run of around two thousand, the unit cost is around $25... remember I'm recalling figures from memory, the posts can be found over at RWI