When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cracked ceramic bezel on a gen GMT IIc

By-Tor

The ceramic replacement price seems fishy to me, but I agree with the TZ respondents who said that while I can appreciate the look of the GMTIIC, they (Rolex) have lost all pretense to their 'tool' watches being anything more than very expensive (& increasingly blingy) jewelry. And for such an innovative company, this is sad.

Agree with Freddy, as a tool watch that most models are aimed at the diving crowd, for their ruggedness, this blow would be no more impact than accidentally bumping your arm into a door frame. This sort of easy damage would mean the watch cannot really be used for anything that would actually keep it fully wound! Maybe he should get a rep and use the bezel out of that as a replacement ;)

i was reading this thread this morning.. like buddy said.. if it falls just right, then there is a lot of G-forces on the side of the bezel or watch case etc etc. In his case he must have bent the 18kt bezel and thats why the high cost. But you know rolex.. they will replace EVERYTHING and bill you for it. If i were him, i would get it sent back, order the insert for $250 or whatever they finally agree that its worth, and take it to a local watchmaker.

I agree with the TZ respondents who said that while I can appreciate the look of the GMTIIC, they (Rolex) have lost all pretense to their 'tool' watches being anything more than very expensive (& increasingly blingy) jewelry.

Me too. And I'm bummed out over it. I never liked the Yachtmaster for this reason, but acknowledged they were apropos to that genre of the 'America's Cup' crowd. Largely pretentious. Then the Yachtmaster II; Well! Ahoy Polloi! and thought, "Uh oh".

Shame. For years, the Panerai guys on the boards would look down at Rolex as zeitgeist yuppie fodder for would be Real Estate and Stock Broker wannabes. Considering most of my heros in this world (Col. Yeager, Paul Newman, Eric Clapton) as well many infamous anti-heros (Che`, Armando Maradona, Yngwie Malmsteen) wore them it was easy to dismiss. Now I think they may have a strong case. Sigh..........

as well many infamous anti-heros (Che`, Armando Maradona, Yngwie Malmsteen) wore them it was easy to dismiss. Now I think they may have a strong case. Sigh..........

You're calling Diego Armando Maradona "Anti Hero"?

Best football player who has ever sh*tted between two legs... blasphemy! :D

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Me too. And I'm bummed out over it. I never liked the Yachtmaster for this reason, but acknowledged they were apropos to that genre of the 'America's Cup' crowd. Largely pretentious. Then the Yachtmaster II; Well! Ahoy Polloi! and thought, "Uh oh".

Shame. For years, the Panerai guys on the boards would look down at Rolex as zeitgeist yuppie fodder for would be Real Estate and Stock Broker wannabes. Considering most of my heros in this world (Col. Yeager, Paul Newman, Eric Clapton) as well many infamous anti-heros (Che`, Armando Maradona, Yngwie Malmsteen) wore them it was easy to dismiss. Now I think they may have a strong case. Sigh..........

Us Omega guys consder them both as posers.

Us Omega guys consder them both as posers.

:D Classic!

Best football player who has ever sh*tted between two legs... blasphemy! :D

Hey, just because an obese cocaine freak who pals around with Castro and Chavez, has a tattoo of Fidel on his left leg, one of Che` on his right arm, sides with Ahmadinajhad, has dedicated his entire retirement to lambasting anything 'American', and cheated against England with the infamous "Hand of God" goal in the '86 World Cup? I will agree you should cut some slack to the man who wears not one, but two 116520 Rolex Daytona, one on each wrist, and did, at one time possess some mad football skills. But that's as far as I will concede. :)

<edit> And I never said I wouldn't go fishing with the guy..........................................

Edited by Demsey

Hey, just because an obese cocaine freak who pals around with Castro and Chavez, has a tattoo of Fidel on his left leg, one of Che` on his right arm, sides with Ahmadinajhad, has dedicated his entire retirement to lambasting anything 'American', and cheated against England with the infamous "Hand of God" goal in the '86 World Cup? I will agree you should cut some slack to the man who wears not one, but two 116520 Rolex Daytona, one on each wrist, and did, at one time possess some mad football skills. But that's as far as I will concede. :)

Okay fair enough.

He's a highly controversial figure, not very bright and not a great human being... but magical in what he did. I was watching the 2008 Olympics football final Argentina-Nigeria, and all those 120.000 Chinese in the stadium sat completely silent through the whole game... it was like a funeral. But when the game was over and Argentina collected the title, they briefly showed Diego Maradona on the Jumbotron screen, the whole stadium was immediately filled with a roar.

Pel

Best football player who has ever sh*tted between two legs... blasphemy!

Hey, just because an obese cocaine freak who pals around with Castro and Chavez, has a tattoo of Fidel on his left leg, one of Che` on his right arm, sides with Ahmadinajhad, has dedicated his entire retirement to lambasting anything 'American', and cheated against England with the infamous "Hand of God" goal in the '86 World Cup? I will agree you should cut some slack to the man who wears not one, but two 116520 Rolex Daytona, one on each wrist, and did, at one time possess some mad football skills. But that's as far as I will concede.

smileyhump2xo3.gif

:animal_rooster:

:lol:

..... Maradona is still the biggest figure of the biggest sport in the world. And yeah, he's a hero and a villain... kind of Elvis of football. :)

Yeah, but Madonna is really losing her looks these days. Plus I really like Guy Richie movies and she totally trashed him in the press. She really is batshit crazy with that Kabbalah [censored]. And the whole A-Rod deal? Forget about it!

Wait, soccer. [censored].

Um, I am American and will now bow out so you can talk "football"

Yeah, but Madonna is really losing her looks these days. Plus I really like Guy Richie movies and she totally trashed him in the press. She really is batshit crazy with that Kabbalah shit. And the whole A-Rod deal? Forget about it!

Wait, soccer. Shit.

Um, I am American and will now bow out so you can talk "football"

Hmm... why the aggressive tone? It never ceases to amaze me when we're having soccer/football discussion, these people always pop up from somewhere... bragging about their ignorance.

6.5 billion people calls "soccer" football, while 300 million people in the US call modified rugby "football" (which, by the way was introduced to you by the Europeans, just like your language, constitution and culture just a little while ago). Plus this forum is half populated by Europeans, and owned by an European... so excuse me while I'm talking football here.

And Madonna... are you talking about that "all around artist" who can't either sing or act? :D

BT -

I was not attempting to have an aggressive tone, I was trying to make an allusion to of the fact that all 99.9 percent of Americans know about soccer is David Beckham because his wife was a Spice Girl and runs around LA with her [censored] half out.

And I forgot about the soccer player who went on a high speed chase in LA and blew his brains out. People cared about that one too.

Hmm... why the aggressive tone? It never ceases to amaze me when we're having soccer/football discussion, these people always pop up from somewhere... bragging about their ignorance.

6.5 billion people calls "soccer" football, while 300 million people in the US call modified rugby "football" (which, by the way was introduced to you by the Europeans, just like your language, constitution and culture just a little while ago). Plus this forum is half populated by Europeans, and owned by an European... so excuse me while I'm talking football here.

And Madonna... are you talking about that "all around artist" who can't either sing or act? :D

When i'm sober, it's football... When I'm [censored], it's soccer! :lol: :lol: :drunk:

@Fidestro: Ok... sorry about that. Misunderstood your intentions...

And yes, I love the US... and I like baseball and American football and absolutely LOVE hockey which is the greatest sport in the world. Great sports, great traditions! It just pisses me off that whenever we talk soccer/football here, it always comes to the same old US vs. Europe thing. Boring!

PS: David Beckham is ghey. :D

By-Tor,

No hard feelings at all. I should have tagged that post with <Sarcasm> and </Sarcasm> tags. I was not trying to make it a serious post.

I love hockey but don't quite live in the part of the country I should for that sport. My brother used to talk a fair amount of [censored] about soccer until he went to college and started dating one of the star players on the girl's soccer squad. After that his only complaints are that she wore his ass out in the sack.

EDITED TO ADD:

I also did not know that so many people came on and slammed soccer. I can see where you would misread my statement in that situation.

All cool mate... it was me who was aggressive this time. Sorry 'bout that.

About David Beckham still... he poses in his underwear in every woman's magazine on earth and he & his anorectic, talentless wife take part in every damn celebrity gathering out there... but why do people even care and get suckered into hype? Beckham is not a great player, or even an interesting personality. His wife even less...

It's quite amazing that those morons got popular in the US. Why? You can definitely keep them. :D

BT - no need to apologize. It was a misunderstanding and I read it as such.

Why do we care and get sucked into the hype? I can't comment, I am as amazed as you and they are not the only offenders.

Why is Paris Hilton famous? Why does anyone care about Britney Spears and her ex-husband? It baffles the mind.

People used to be famous because they were great musicians, actors, athletes, or performed some heroic act. Now people are famous for being famous and nothing else.

"Rolex have lost all pretense to their 'tool' watches being anything more than very expensive (& increasingly blingy) jewelry. "

Agree 100%

Imho:

Rolex traditional "tool watches" have acrylic crystals, not exploding sapphires.

Rolex stopped making sporty watches (with one exception) when they went to blind springbar holes.

exception...the no date submariner

Everyone (except me) complained about the simple and cheap (cheap to make, not to buy!) "Z" blade bracelet clasp and now they have clasps with sliding ramps, ratchet teeth etc and more parts than a wind up clock.

Progress...

SEL is OK (but not for me).

Solid links in gold bracelets (because they charged solid prices and delivered hollow for years).

Regress...

The YM II.

Designed by a burnt out crack 'ho wearing a Leopard Daytona for inspiration.

The SDDS.

Diving ballast with watchworks.

They are already hitting the gray market...

http://www.jomashop.com/rolex-116660bkso.html