When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Most famous luxury watch brands?

By-Tor

It's amazing how it differs in different parts of the world.. not only Europe/America/Asia, but even in regions within those continents. Around here for example the most famous brands are: Rolex, Omega and Breitling by far from any other luxury brand. The funny thing is, this has almost nothing to do with advertising. Tag Heuer are advertising much more than the rest, but still, most people don't know them and certainly can't recognize their watches. It's also much easier to find dealerships that carry Omega and Breitling than Tag.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance of copy/pasting the content? I don't want to have to sign up to that old place.

Shame for the old place......I am sure they would benefit from your comments.........:-)

But here goes anyway. Apparently this was a picture taken in a Girard-Perregaux AD and are based on market research from 2007:

post-21196-125156117106_thumb.jpg

Edited by mbjoer

Thanks for the great topic By-Tor. I have noticed that people who know nothing about watches recognize a Rolo Submariner when they see one. Incredable brand recognizion. Most people I have met have never heard of a Panerai, not a clue. :unsure: Im ashamed to admit It but I knew nothing of Panerai before landing here. :pardon: I would say that Rolex, Tag links and Breitlings (John Travolta) are the most recognizable. :) Mike (ps) would mavado count?

Good thread BT. I didn't know any of those brands until I became part of this community either.

Whats Rolex's innovations and claims to fame? Trip-lock crown/waterproofing? I thought they did something more noteworthy. Its ok, the Submariner is so pretty. :wub:

My list as far as how I perceive peoples recognition of brand existance.

ROLEX

Movado

TAG/Omega (tied)

I don't know why people know Movado so well and associate them with high end pieces. To me they are the unworthy of any stature, boring mall watches. I always imagine the design department sitting in the boardroom. Staring at a blank watchface thinking of a new design for it. Defeatedly, someone slaps a fake diamond at 12 and they call it a day. The result takes them by surprise as they rake in the money, cackling at the poor douchebags that bought into it.

I always aspired for a TAG and prior to becoming a WIS, they were recognizeable to me second only to Rolex. I do appreciate their involvement in auto racing, as I do Rolex. I think they are fine pieces and show a lot of promise in watch design innovation in general. They diluted themselves as a brand overparticipating in the quartz market.

my long winded reply. :unsure:

Mbjoer, I love that graphic. It tells a lot with a glance.

I remember seeing a survey of consumers with incomes >$1M USD/yr. They asked them which brands they held in highest esteem (not recognition).

Among that demographic, the winner was IWC. I forget which other brands placed, and also how many were surveyed.

Once again: I believe Movado isn't well known outside the US at all.

I could be wrong, but I doubt they even sell Movado in Europe. I'm not sure if I had ever heard of Movado until I came to the watch forums.

So it definitely doesn't belong to the top list (globally speaking).

Once again: I believe Movado isn't well known outside the US at all.

I could be wrong, but I doubt they even sell Movado in Europe. I'm not sure if I had ever heard of Movado until I came to the watch forums.

So it definitely doesn't belong to the top list (globally speaking).

And how oh-so-sweet that is. Further proven by that nice chart, which hasn't a mention of Movado. :clapping:

Shame for the old place......I am sure they would benefit from your comments.........:-)

But here goes anyway. Apparently this was a picture taken in a Girard-Perregaux AD and are based on market research from 2007:

Thanks for the picture, very interesting and as far as I can judge very realistic. Here is a more simple diagramm:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RjAYREQ60D8/RyWR1nupMtI/AAAAAAAAAFs/IAT1QVC556M/s400/erard606_1.jpg

Thanks for the picture, very interesting and as far as I can judge very realistic. Here is a more simple diagramm:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RjAYREQ60D8/RyWR1nupMtI/AAAAAAAAAFs/IAT1QVC556M/s400/erard606_1.jpg

Again interesting. This acknowledges the volume brands as well, and certainly if one single brand is recognised across all social strata, it is Swatch, well ahead of Rolex.

To me it looks like the aspired positioning of this brand rather than the result of any market surveys. It has a slightly different positioning of the top brands they list (not including IWC) from the other one.

Australia here.

1. Rolex

2. Omega

3. IWC

4. Philippe Patek

5... This is hard. I'd like to say Breitling, even though I personally don't like them. But only WIS people know them here. I can't actually think of a #5 well known high end luxury brand. Though Sinn is becoming very known asd popular here.

Most people know Tag, Tissot, Longines and Rado (Rado's are horrible IMO) and owners of them think they are top tier. But my watch-liking friends and I all agree they're considered second tier. Better than Seiko etc, but NOWHERE near Omega/Rolex. Also these are brands you can buy everywhere here, including department stores.

Some interesting things; I'd never even heard of Ebel till I hit the forums (watchuseek), and Movado? Haven't heard of it till this very thread.