When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Something Terrible Happened Earlier Today.

thomasng

Earlier tonight, I was going shopping in Mong Kok again, when I entered a more deserted area to search for a computer parts store. Suddenly two huge men jump out of an alley and force me into the alley with a knife at my neck.

In the alley, they removed my gold necklace, my platinum ring (which was a family heirloom), my wallet with HK$2,000 cash and also took my brand new Breguet Marine watch! Thank goodness after they took everything, they fled quickly and didn't hurt me. There was nothing you could do in that situation, two men holding knives going against you, and you quickly get scared.

I made a report to police quickly after, and a search in the area by police officers in the area turned up nothing, and I also told them to alert pawn shops and secondhand watch stores for a Breguet Marine without papers.

I am very upset that I was robbed, but am very thankful I wasn't hurt. Life goes on, and I hope I can forget this incident.

Jesus Admin... Good thing you're ok, unfortunately, giving in in that kind of situation is the only thing to do....

Sucks about your possessions, especially the Breguet :( Maybe you can claim on insurance somehow someway...

In the end, it's good you are all in one piece. Good luck and godspeed.

That's terrible news, and I'm sorry you had to go through it. The upside, of course, is that you came out of it with your head still atttached to your body....people often get killed or badly hurt for much less.

I can only hope that the guys are apprehended by the police and that you manage to get your stuff back.

A similar thing happened recently to one of our Paris members, who lost some expensive cameras as well as being physically aggressed.

Once again, count your blessings: it's only stuff; it can be replaced. Your life is a one-time-deal.

Hope you feel better soon - there's a natural period of rage, shock, depression and general emotional trauma, but that's part of what happens when the ugly side of life reveals itself unexpectedly.

Best wishes!

DAMN! Admin, glad to hear that you are ok. This really sucks but the most important thing here is that you were not physically harmed in any way. I do hope the police nab those thieving @#$%. I'm speechless. Take care man, and do update us on the situation. All the best.

Admin, I am very glad to hear that you survived this potential disaster without injury. Man, that was a close call and you were certainly very fortunate. Material stuff, as painfiul as the loss may be, can often be replaced.

I hope your insurance can help you recover your loss but the important thing is that you're "A" okay.

Regards,

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

I lived in Hong Kong for more than 20 years. It was a very safe place when I was there, but I rarely go to Mong Kowk area.

It was not a good idea to wear bling bling in Kowloon anyway.

Glad that you are fine.

Did you buy it with Amex? You can claim $1000 buyer's insurance.

Check with your credit card. They usually have some sort of insurance protection.

(sigh) Too bad I paid for the watch with cash, so no protection unfortunately.

I'm incredibly [censored] off, as I am staring at the beautiful empty Breguet box, with the papers and manuals completely intact, and even the wrappings from the watch are still here, but I am glad that the thieves will have a hard time to unload the watch (new watch without papers is very suspicious), and I hope that karma will catch up on them.

Of course, material possessions are nothing, but the platinum ring cannot be replaced, as it's been in my family for something like 65 years, but at least replacing the Breguet is as easy as walking into an AD tomorrow, and the necklace also walking into the nearest goldsmith in Hong Kong which are a dime a dozen. But I don't think I'll be replacing the Breguet, this has taught me why I wear reps too, to prevent heartbreak in case something goes wrong.

Hi Admin,

As far as the feelings, and emotional issues, I cannot help you much, but I can tell you that the kind of people who do these things, are often the kind of people who hurt their victims for no reason other than, "the fun of it."

I do want to mention a couple of things people forget:

Homeowners Insurance - check to see if they cover this

Auto Insurance - same, even if not connected to the car in any way

Credit Cards - some of the things they cover are remarkable

Taxes - people often forget that this is an uninsured casualty loss qualifying for deduction

Lord, how I do value our "right to carry" laws here. Thugs with knives wouldn't last long in an environment where even old ladies are likely to be "packing," and bystanders/passersby are all potential "armed guards" of the peace.

Glad you're safe Admin

Bill

Wow, that really sucks, Admin.

The Breguet loss is such a shame, but be glad you weren't hurt or killed.

Sorry Admin for your loss. I was assaulted a few months ago but not with guys with knives. This must have been truely horrifying. The thought still lingers with me but time is erasing the emotional stress and hopefully, for you someday soon.

Usil

Thomas-

My heart goes out to you. Something similar happened to me 20 years ago when New York was still dangerous. I was visiting a friend in a sketchy neighborhood and go robbed at gunpoint. He got away with some money and a 1960's gold Oyster. I don't know where you file your taxes but in the U.S. if you file a stolen items report and get a note from the seller as to the worth you can deduct it from your taxes as a loss so the loss was only 50%. Don't even know if that is still true in the U.S. but maybe it is true in whatever jurisdiction you file your taxes so you can recover some of the value that way. Most importantly, glad you are alright.

All the best,

kruzer

PS Do you still access to that AP quartz movement? My wife wants to start wearing it again. :)

I'm sorry to hear about this, my deepest sympathies. I had something very similar happen almost 20 years ago. If I could go back, the one thing I would have changed would have been to see a psychologist for a while after this event. If for any reason, to unload all the anger these types of mindless events generate. Just something to think about…

Some new info, I reported my lost cards to the banks and HSBC Hong Kong gave me a call just about an hour ago that an attempt to use my ATM card to withdraw HK$20,000 from a Mong Kok ATM machine was rejected and the machine swallowed the card.

This may be a significant breakthrough, the cameras could have caught something.

Admin... Glad to hear that maybe these thiefs will get caught possibly by the Atm machines..

I am a big believer in Karma, They will get theres!

Glad you are ok...That's the most important. Hang in there my friend, as I am sure this is not easy on you..